Congressman Marshall supports voting in Spanish

Full story: Free Republic

Jim Marshall votes to use your taxpayer dollars for Spanish Ballots For a person to become a naturalized American Citizen they are required to speak, understand and write Basic English according to American Red ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
clifford

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2006

but for a person to be given amisty..all they need to do is cut american wages....then they can vote in america...and still vote in mexico..
Hunch

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2006

I think we're becoming a bilingual nation, and I don't see any disadvantage to it. I think it would be great for our children to grow up speaking two languages. I'm very excited about learning Spanish with my daughter. Once she learns to talk, I mean.
Most of the civilized world is bilingual. I think it's time we caught up. In fact, I think it would be great if we could become trilingual. Then, we would have one language for each color on the flag. Don't they speak French up in Canada? Maybe we should speak French too. That will add to the symbolism of our already richly symbolic flag. Go, America!
Hunch

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2006

Fed-up Southerner wrote:
<quoted text>This is the United States....Not Mexico or any other Latin Country! the Language in this Country is ENGLISH. We don't have to become a "bilingual" Nation...to do so is a Slap in the Face of all of the LEGAL Immigrants who came to this Country, LEARNED the English Language, and beca,me part of our American Fabric.
You're right. This is the United States! Maybe we should invent a new language, rather than using England's.
clifford

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2006

we allready have we dont use english just parts of it..
Hunch

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2006

clifford wrote:
we allready have we dont use english just parts of it..
What part of English don't we use? You mean, like, we call it a "flashlight" and they call it a "torch"? Or, we use "bloody" to mean "covered in blood" and they use it for just bloody anything? I think that's just a clever way to disguise our lingual plagiarism ... I think it's time for a United Statesian language.
clifford

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2006

yes and the french and spainsh words we use that most people think is english..some words that were just made in the usa...and arent used any where else...every try to understand a repair book thats wrote in english..not american english...
Hunch

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2006

clifford wrote:
yes and the french and spainsh words we use that most people think is english..some words that were just made in the usa...and arent used any where else...every try to understand a repair book thats wrote in english..not american english...
Actually, Clifford, I'm trying to remember the last instruction book I read that made any sense at all! I don't think those things are written in English, or American English, or any language that's ever been used by anybody! Since most instruction books are multilingual these days, I was thinking about learning Spanish to see if the instructions make any more sense in that language than they do in English.

Following up on your point, though--that American English is not the same thing as English--which is an excellent point--that only has me more excited about a bilingual American. Because then, instead of having Mexican Spanish or Spanish Spanish, we would have American Spanish, a uniquely American version of a world language. Actually, as I understand it from a Spanish teacher friend, there already is a sort of American Spanish dialect that's different even from what they speak in Mexico. Maybe we should insist that the ballots be written in American Spanish ...
A Dan Killian Jr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2006

After reading the discussion, I believe these two people are completely nuts. If you want to destroy this counter then let the illiterate Mexicans and the Cubans who came over after Castro took over continue to speak spanish. I am a native of Miami and after 70 years I got tired of hearing Spanish wherever I went. In fact half of Miami is known as Little Havana. These people are cubans and the will always be cuban. It's the same way with the millions of Mexican pesants that have crossed our borders.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Hagan Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Hagan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance