Countdown begins: Fireworks stay popu...

Countdown begins: Fireworks stay popular despite dry conditions

There are 13 comments on the The Deming Headlight story from Jun 26, 2011, titled Countdown begins: Fireworks stay popular despite dry conditions. In it, The Deming Headlight reports that:

Fireworks stands are now open in Luna County. That has emergency service agencies on high alert, given that Luna County is, along with much of New Mexico, a tinderbox.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Deming Headlight.

Randy

United States

#1 Jun 27, 2011
THIS IS STUPID, IT'S TOO DRY TO BE USING FIREWORKS. THEY SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO SELL OR BUY THEM.
Rye

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jun 27, 2011
I agree! It is FOOLISH of Deming to allow fireworks. We had fires in our yard caused by fireworks the last two years and this year we are not taking any chances, we will NOT be buying or using fireworks. I have to stay awake with the hose because I am terrified that someone is going to start a fire on my property.

I especially love how they are "counting on common sense" here in Deming. Are you kidding me?! What's the average IQ here in town? 60? I'm sorry, but you are entrusting a bunch of morons with too much responsibility. The smart people aren't at the fireworks stands, take note next time you drive past one. People are still flinging cigarette butts out their windows and now we're going to let them light off fireworks.

Another good call, Deming!
fitto

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jun 27, 2011
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BAN THE FIREWORKS!!
ONE OUT OF CONTROL FIRE IS NOT WORTH IT!!
District 2 Voter

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Jun 27, 2011
The IQ of the officials is much lower than 60.
Deming Implant

United States

#5 Jun 27, 2011
Why did they issue permits to sell them with these dry conditions? I am sitting here praying already that there will be no fires started. The Wallow Fire was/is bad enough.
District 2 Voter

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jun 27, 2011
Why did they issue permits to sell them with these dry conditions? Answer -$$$. More important to the greedy than peoples mere lives.
Star Lady

Chandler, AZ

#7 Jun 27, 2011
Please folks...unless we have some rain in the next few days, deep six the fireworks until next year...
wtf

Deming, NM

#8 Jun 27, 2011
There is a city display! Go see that! I haven't done fireworks in Deming in the past 3 years because it's been so dry! This year were going on vacation to watch a city display! IT'S FREE!
American patriot

Columbus, NM

#9 Jun 27, 2011
since when is my patriotism measured in blowing stuff up and burning down the town?
Luther Blissett

United States

#10 Jun 27, 2011
We all personally know "that guy" who says it is his God given American right to blow stuff up on the 4th, and he has been doing every year since 1952. Logic, reasoning, consensus and common sense have no effect on "that guy"; and he is accountable to no one. See all the comments above judged as spam or clueless? Yep... That's "that guy." I suppose I, too will be outside with a water hose, prepared to mitigate the costs he imposes on all of us.
LOL

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Jun 28, 2011
According to Susanna Martinez you can not just ban fireworks. You actually have to pass a bill through the state house to get the fireworks banned from being sold. That is why they have not been banned from selling them. But local officials do have the authority to ban you from using them.

But will they, probably not...
Really

Deming, NM

#12 Jun 28, 2011
No locol officials cannot ban people from using all fire works just the ones that can be banned according to New Mexico Statute, the way it reads is they can limit use only in regards to usage.
LOL

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Jun 28, 2011
Really wrote:
No locol officials cannot ban people from using all fire works just the ones that can be banned according to New Mexico Statute, the way it reads is they can limit use only in regards to usage.
Thats what I said. They can ban you from using them, which is limiting use. They can not stop them from being sold. They can actually come out and say no fireworks can be used in incorporated areas which would mean no fireworks at all used by the general public.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hachita Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'America's Longest Veterans Day Parade' (Oct '15) Nov '15 Thank you 2
News Historic Military Convoy rolls into Lordsburg. (Oct '15) Oct '15 Historic event 1
News A local intstitution (Aug '15) Oct '15 you have retardat... 3
Does anyone know anything about Man found at Lo... (Sep '15) Sep '15 kygirl 1
News Navajo Nation President Russell Begaye to decla... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Ted 9
News Body of missing Deming man found in Hidalgo County (Mar '15) May '15 Michael Oshkeniew 3
Shakespeare comes alive for weekend tours of gh... (May '15) May '15 Patti Wischnack 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hachita Mortgages