Old Hachita: Ghost town with storied past awaits adventurous ex...

Your Church in Old Hachita has only two pews, but plenty of space and time for at least one brief prayer for safety. Read more
Mimbres Sam

Silver City, NM

#1 Aug 10, 2009
Hate to spoil things for you, but Grant County was not "carved out" of Hidalgo County, but it was the other way around. Original Grant County included all of present Grant and Hidalgo Counties and parts of Luna and Sierra Counties as well.
Joe Crawford

Mansfield, MA

#2 Aug 10, 2009
As with the best travel writing, reading this article is like a making a brief but genuine visit. The captions are well done, too!
Country Boy

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Aug 10, 2009
Mimbres Sam wrote:
Hate to spoil things for you, but Grant County was not "carved out" of Hidalgo County, but it was the other way around. Original Grant County included all of present Grant and Hidalgo Counties and parts of Luna and Sierra Counties as well.
I believe even parts of Grant County were also carved out when they created Dona Ana County. During this time prior to cutting up Grant County, I wonder if the county seat was in Pinos Altos or Silver City? Can you imagine the travel time required to reach the county seat from remote parts of such a large county?
El Indio

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Aug 10, 2009
For a time the county seat of Grant County was Central, or Santa Clara. I hate when articles are posted and not one drop of historical research was done to provide sound statements.
Raymond Barnes

United States

#5 Aug 10, 2009
Nice story but the church in the article is in new Hachita. Old Hachita is up around the mines you wrote about but the town was moved when the railroad came through.
Richard Moore

Joplin, MO

#6 Aug 11, 2009
You're all full of crap. I hate it when people who know nothing about an area run their mouths and think they know so much just because they read it in a book somewhere.
Mimbres Sam

Silver City, NM

#7 Aug 11, 2009
Richard Moore wrote:
You're all full of crap. I hate it when people who know nothing about an area run their mouths and think they know so much just because they read it in a book somewhere.
Speaking for yourself, obviously!
Joe Karas

Fall River, MA

#8 Aug 11, 2009
Raymond Barnes wrote:
Nice story but the church in the article is in new Hachita. Old Hachita is up around the mines you wrote about but the town was moved when the railroad came through.
Hi Raymond,
Thanks for your comments. I realize Your Church is in New Hachita. Had a nice visit there.Perhaps I should have said New Hachita rather than just Hachita. However, I found Hachita and New Hachita are often used in reference to the same place. I've only seen and heard Old Hachita referred to as Old Hachita.
Christine Steele

El Paso, TX

#9 Aug 12, 2009
El Indio: The story was not meant to serve as a historical research paper, but as a travel feature, just like Joe Crawford said, a feature that transports readers to that place making them feel like they have visited the place through the story. I chose it because I thought it was well written with a folksy, cozy feel. You are welcome to submit your own feature story for consideration.
And it did state that "Your Church" was not in Old Hachita, but in Hachita itself.
Christine Steele
Bureau Chief
Silver City Sun-News

Since: Jan 09

United States

#10 Aug 24, 2009
My questions is what happened to "On the Trail"? I miss reading it. Did like so many others at the Sun-News, did Sam Conn leave?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hachita Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Body of missing Deming man found in Hidalgo County Mar 2 Linda 2
Water upgrade Feb 25 Enchanting New Me... 1
News Allen Theaters drops screenings of 'The Intervi... Feb '15 Ray 4
Incident forces closure of I-10 lanes west of L... Jan '15 Bea 1
News Spooky skies: NASA releases image of jack-o'-la... Nov '14 Andarz Abedini 2
News New Mexico ghost town comes alive this weekend (Jun '14) Jun '14 I love the southwest 1
News Grant County residents get a whiff of rotten eggs (Jun '14) Jun '14 Zeke the Geek 1
Hachita Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hachita People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]