Who shot Dale Gilliland?
Deal

Birmingham, AL

#345 Sep 18, 2011
Dale would never have opened that door unless he knew the person. He would have looked out of the big side Living Room window, proceeded to the side back kitchen door, looked again, removed the kitchen knife from the paneling of the door, unlocked the door, opened the door, turned to walk back into the kitchen and then the firing began. Dale started running. One bullet was in the kitchen wall and another in the back of his head. He did not make it to his gun. This person was someone in his inner circle, past or present. He trusted this person because he went to the door without taking his gun. He was in those last days riding with a gun in the car and sleeping with one under his pillow. This person he knew and did not feel threatened by him. He knew him!
Bill

Guntersville, AL

#346 Sep 20, 2011
Not a very good shot, hitting the wall istead of hitting Dale in the back. No shell casings must have been a revolver .38 or .357, not a choice for a assassin.

Was RB questioned? What time did he leave and what was the time of death? What caliber weapon did Dale have?
Bill

Guntersville, AL

#347 Sep 20, 2011
When you open a door for a friend, don't you usually hold the door open for them? Then close the door and in this case lock it again once their in?

Once, Dale made a mistake and opened the door thinking it was someone in his circle or two RB left and Dale went to lock the door behind him when the assassin entered.
Deal

Birmingham, AL

#348 Sep 20, 2011
Dale never held opened the kitchen side door for anyone. He opened the door and immediately always turned and walked ahead of the person, entering into the kitchen first. The person was always left to follow him. This was a habitually, ritualistic, characteristic of Dale's. And his murderer knew this as well. Hence, the fact Dale knew him and was not threatened by him since he stuck to his habit of turning his back. His murderer knew this would be the only "golden" opportunity. This was no assassin. This was a nervous turncoat friend who became a murderer that night.
Big Daddy

Gadsden, AL

#349 Sep 27, 2011
Ask Isreal Poole he worked for Blount County as a deputy.
kay

United States

#350 Nov 27, 2011
Deal obviously KNEW Dale and his ways. Anyone who did knew how he answered a door. At this point Dealand Bill appear to be the ones who are in the know. I agree with Bill about the paper trail for bank and property transfers. Don't forget Nell was a notary public and was known to back date paperwork as well as any other manuver that was beneficial to the clan. SHe is sick with Alz. but the old man isn't in as great a shape as they would want you to believe. If I am correct three shots were fired at Dale's that night.(two missed). What happened to Denise? RB is a very questionable character even to Dale's family. Was Isreal Poole one of the groupies that hung out with the E? Didn't he testify at the trial in Albertville when daddy R assaulted the state trooper and got off? I know that guy from somewhere.Can anyone give details on the Huntsville woman who's death was MADE TO LOOK LIKE A SUICIDE?
kay

United States

#351 Nov 27, 2011
What years was Isreal a deputy?
kay

United States

#352 Nov 27, 2011
Rick was never questioned. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT! He very rarely discusses what happened which I find odd. It was RB himself who stated that was NOT questioned.
Curious- n- Texas

United States

#354 Feb 9, 2012
I was look for info on a different guy with this same name (dg). When I found this forum. Crazy! But one of you guy should finish curious's work & write a book.( Not that I belive him /her.) I would luv to know how this ends. Beside the obvious poor ole Dale deing kill and all. If you do or know of a copy please drop me a note. It can be fiction. You can use the suspects real initial but change the autcal name so not to get in to any trouble. You can use some of the money to put a memorial in your town for good people that do stupid things or something. GOD know theirs alot of us out there!

observer

Edmond, OK

#355 Jun 12, 2013
Hey wrote:
Why are you wanting to know? And can you tell me you are with? I think we all know who did this.
do you know patrick early
Stephen McLamb

Tuscaloosa, AL

#356 Jun 19, 2013
Hi Curious..
My name is Stephen McLamb. I'm a reporter with WAFF 48 News. Would you please contact me via email? smclamb@waff.com
Thanks..
Stephen
curious wrote:
Dale GIlliland Murder- I have been hired to investigate the circumstances of this murder and the questionable conduct of individuals who may have been involved with the original investigation.The residents of Marshall County have been very hospitable and forthcoming. As in many small southern towns everyone seems to know everyone and everyone has a theory. I am more intersted in the facts as opposed to theory.
I am most interested in individuals who:
1-Worked for or with Dale Gilliland (or his business partner Edward Rush) in 1976
2-Socialized in this circle
3-Know of illegal activities which Mr. Gilliland may have been involved
4-Noticed suspicious activities within the investigation
5-Know individuals close to Mr. Gilliland at the time of his death - who are willing to talk - your privacy is guaranteed
Please tell me, if you,and almost everyone I have interviewed beleive that EVERYONE KNOWS WHO DID IT then why is this murder still unsolved some 33 years later. Someone out there knows the truth and they have the evidence needed to prove it. How does a community allow this to continue.
Howard

Foley, AL

#357 Jun 19, 2013
observer wrote:
<quoted text>
do you know patrick early
Who is Patrick Early?
well

Arab, AL

#359 Feb 3, 2014
Anniversary is coming up. 38 years.
WellWell

Albertville, AL

#361 Jun 20, 2014
Edwards wife patty and both sons all went to Snead college on the Pell grant. Either he's broke or still a con. I vote the latter.

RIP Dale. Would love to see 48 do a story on this cold case. Hope the case is solved in my lifetime.
Nobody

Goodwater, AL

#362 Oct 14, 2014
curious wrote:
Dale Gilliland was a 27 year old divorced father of two. He was shot in the head on a feb. 1976 night. What do you know? This is not to seek justice, just curious as to what you may know or can remember about this crime.
Tell me again why you are curious?
Anonymous

Guntersville, AL

#363 Oct 19, 2014
Being a teenager and a young adult back during this era, I have a question for all of you people that seem to have known a lot of information. What can any of you tell regarding the situation with ER and a certain GHS cheerleader that were caught in a motel room at the state basketball tournament in about 1976 or 1977? Cheerleader sponsor called parents of cheerleader and blew the whistle.Sometime later, a unknown assailant entered the home of the cheerleader sponsor and almost beat her to death with a fireplace tool. That morning a bucket of dead fish was also dumped on the steps at GHS. I know of a man, dead and buried now, that told of delivering the money for this crime. People talk when they are drunk. Money came from the R hands and was delivered to a man from the area that completed the dirty deed. The man that performed the deed is dead and gone. I always wondered if he was in some way also involved in the other deaths.
UnionGroveED

Arab, AL

#364 Nov 1, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
Being a teenager and a young adult back during this era, I have a question for all of you people that seem to have known a lot of information. What can any of you tell regarding the situation with ER and a certain GHS cheerleader that were caught in a motel room at the state basketball tournament in about 1976 or 1977? Cheerleader sponsor called parents of cheerleader and blew the whistle.Sometime later, a unknown assailant entered the home of the cheerleader sponsor and almost beat her to death with a fireplace tool. That morning a bucket of dead fish was also dumped on the steps at GHS. I know of a man, dead and buried now, that told of delivering the money for this crime. People talk when they are drunk. Money came from the R hands and was delivered to a man from the area that completed the dirty deed. The man that performed the deed is dead and gone. I always wondered if he was in some way also involved in the other deaths.
I heard the exact same story from someone in the know, the only exception was that the person that beat the cheer sponsor up is still alive, and yes I have been told that the person that beat up the sponsor killed Dale. But unless that person admits it there is not enough evidence for a conviction. Edward is a con artist, is not broke but not rich by any means either, more of living a typical middle income life. I have met Edward once, he gave the impression of trying to "prove" he was a "smart business man". I made the decision not to finalize the deal we had talked about because something just seemed off about him and the deal.

Many will not talk openly about the things done in the past due to a good number of those involved are still alive. Nobody wants to be a martyr.
DDC44

United States

#365 Mar 4, 2015
Anonymous wrote:
No
Deal

Birmingham, AL

#366 Mar 4, 2015
DDC44 wrote:
<quoted text>
No
Oh yes, someone did try to do something. They talked to the Alabama Attorney General's office. They talked to Cecil Moses of the FBI. They knew things. It went no where. Their lives were threatened. Their family lives were threatened. It was a trail of corruption from top to bottom. Ending with the Sheriff's dept.
bump

Foley, AL

#368 May 18, 2015
RB

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guntersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Recruiter: Trucking industry "begging" for good... (Jun '12) 10 hr Fedup 40
Court referral and color code (Jan '14) May 22 Yvonne 32
Front Lawn Junkyards in Grant (Aug '14) May 13 Paw Patrol Princess 3
Billy Shutt May 7 Curious 2
News Someone spray painted an obscene image on 22 st... May 1 Rosie 1
Candy Cox (Mar '17) May 1 Rosie 2
i hate arabs and their culture??? (Oct '12) Apr '18 Truth 19

Guntersville Jobs

Personal Finance

Guntersville Mortgages