African refugees relocate to Ala. chicken farms

Sep 29, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WIAT-TV Birmingham

N orth Alabama business owners say they're losing Hispanic workers because of Alabama's immigration law.

Comments
21 - 37 of 37 Comments Last updated Sep 29, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
flower

Ashland, KY

#21 Oct 6, 2012
Well I have been wondering how the new law in Alabama has been working. I live in the tristate area of OH, WV, and KY...Appalachia. Our cost of living is not much above that of Alabama. and in this area a plant opening w/$10/hr wages would have at least 5 applicants for every job opening...citizens,everyone, of course they would expect to be paid for overtime, have the company pay into their matching SS and medicare and worker's comp, and comply w/ safety regulations. The press here only caries stories of crops rotting in the fields,and now this piece on 4 Al. chicken plants having to pay recruiters to bring in refugees who are legal to work in the USA.(intimating that the unemployed population of Al. are either too lazy or weak to actually work for a living)I was expecting to read stories of lines of people around the block for these job openings.Did this not happen? Are the companies only purposely offering jobs to people they can bamboozle into working for illegal pay and protection from harm? Are these plants located in areas where there is no access to daycare,or empty housing...which might make it impossible to move there for a job unless you lived @ least 6 adults to a house...so, someone could watch their children? I appreciate the posts from locals, and do not think others should be commenting with their preconcieved notions. So, locals, how is it working out in regards to the employment picture, and the cost to government...and, have you had plant closings or farm sales related to this law? Thanks
Fred

Union Grove, AL

#22 Oct 6, 2012
Some jobs at the poultry plant are hard to keep filed suchas debone. The debone line is very hard work and usually thats here the Hispanics would work. There is a a good bit of turn over at the chicken plants as far as people not staying long due to them not being able to tolerate the cold, the work or the idea that they are slicing and dicing chckens.

The plants are located in town more or less, one facilty is on the edge of town but its never been mch of an issue for the locals. They are located in Albertville, AL by the way. As far as housing and day care there is plenty of both. f you are really interested in working at the poultry plant I wouldnt go through the recruiter I would apply directly to the plant.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#23 Oct 6, 2012
There is also a vary large Pilgrim's Pride processing in Guntersville at East Lake. The employees can work their forty hour week and can apply for voluntary overtime at normal pay ( normal pay @ almost $10.00 Hr) . When demand is high and they are REQUIRED to work overtime,they get their time and a half. The voulutary system keeps from hiring temporaries.It's totally up to the employee if they want vouluntary. In some cases both husband and wife are working and have a grandmother or a family member watching the kids back at the family compound so there is no day care to pay. The local rednecks don't know their culture so they get bent out of shape about how many people live together . It's not just making the most of their resources but it's the way they lived back home so here many family members live together,share rent,utilities and even cars. Our people won't do that. The immigrants that come here from rual areas of their country are from far worse squalid conditions than the worst trailer park in Alabama.
Citizen

Albertville, AL

#24 Oct 6, 2012
I would like to know how much it cost the workers to come here, what their living conditions are, and how long they will be indentured servants.
I would also like to know how businesses that are turning record profits can think that it is okay to pay workers to poorly that they require tax-payer support for food and health care. Businesses should be required to provide a decent standard of living for all employees before they post profits and dividends. If you do business in America you should be required to provide good pay and benefits. Henry Ford understood the importance of having employees paid enough that they could afford to purchase his products.
Holiday

Omaha, NE

#25 Oct 6, 2012
I was forwarded an article out of TN the other day. Tyson Foods has done away with Labor Day and will not be celebrating a Muslim Holiday in its' place. Unbelievable!
Holiday

Omaha, NE

#26 Oct 6, 2012
Oops! Will 'now' be celebrating a Muslim Holiday in its' place.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#27 Oct 6, 2012
Citizen wrote:
I would also like to know how businesses that are turning record profits can think that it is okay to pay workers to poorly that they require tax-payer support for food and health care. Businesses should be required to provide a decent standard of living for all employees before they post profits and dividends. If you do business in America you should be required to provide good pay and benefits. Henry Ford understood the importance of having employees paid enough that they could afford to purchase his products.
Hey,the burger places don't pay $9.71 Hr! The plants are there to make the stockholders an ROI. Toads that think any body leaning on a broom deserves a guaranteed "living wage" are either dreaming or smoking something. Even at $9.71 an hour, if people want better they can have it elsewhere but the opportunity is there for people to make a basic living even for those who don't want to futher their education and living conditions. We the taxpayers don't owe them a living,we owe them a chance to make a living. With husband and wife working,they can earn up to $40,000.00 before overtime.Add that to having grandparents around to avoid daycare,sharing a house,car, and utilities and you may see that they can scrape by until something else comes along. Some of those plant workers even hire out for cash on the weekends doing yard work and odd jobs and they give you a day's work for a day's pay ,something our people have forgotten. If our government would give the blood sucking leeches in the projects drawing welfare the choice of either taking these jobs or being cut off,there would be less need for immigrants. The only entitlement people should get is a free bus ride to the plant.
flower

Ashland, KY

#28 Oct 6, 2012
ThomasA wrote:
There is also a vary large Pilgrim's Pride processing in Guntersville at East Lake. The employees can work their forty hour week and can apply for voluntary overtime at normal pay ( normal pay @ almost $10.00 Hr). When demand is high and they are REQUIRED to work overtime,they get their time and a half. The voulutary system keeps from hiring temporaries.It's totally up to the employee if they want vouluntary. In some cases both husband and wife are working and have a grandmother or a family member watching the kids back at the family compound so there is no day care to pay. The local rednecks don't know their culture so they get bent out of shape about how many people live together . It's not just making the most of their resources but it's the way they lived back home so here many family members live together,share rent,utilities and even cars. Our people won't do that. The immigrants that come here from rual areas of their country are from far worse squalid conditions than the worst trailer park in Alabama.
Ok now I'm understanding why these companies are reluctant to employ legals of long standing to replace the illegal worker. What you have described as volunteer overtime for straight pay is against the Federal labor laws. Read the Fair Labor Standards Act. Thanks for the information.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#29 Oct 6, 2012
flower wrote:
<quoted text> Ok now I'm understanding why these companies are reluctant to employ legals of long standing to replace the illegal worker. What you have described as volunteer overtime for straight pay is against the Federal labor laws. Read the Fair Labor Standards Act. Thanks for the information.
Voluntary overtime is no worse than leaving one job and going to a burger joint or Walmart for a second job as long as it is requested in advance and remains VOLUNTARY. When it becomes Mandatory ,then overtime rules apply. Some people don't want the overtime,many do. What's the problem with people wanting and requesting to work if they need the money and have the time?
Fred

Union Grove, AL

#30 Oct 7, 2012
flower wrote:
<quoted text> Ok now I'm understanding why these companies are reluctant to employ legals of long standing to replace the illegal worker. What you have described as volunteer overtime for straight pay is against the Federal labor laws. Read the Fair Labor Standards Act. Thanks for the information.
I think you misunderstood what Thomas was trying to say. They ofer voluntary overtime meaning anyone that wants overtime work can get it, then they have involuntary overtime which means they have a contract order that needs to be filled and they are behind so everyone has to work overtime. They do pay you for the overtime work and its not straight pay.
magadala

Gig Harbor, WA

#31 Oct 7, 2012
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>By all means!!! We Native Americans were perfectly happly running naked, and living off this great land until the slimey Pilgrims arrived. We should have eliminated them right away! Moving forward,if you are of English,German,Chinese,Italian ,French,Russian,Polish,Irish,S panish,or Indian descent,please either exit OUR country or STFU about new immigrants who come here seeking the same thing your forefathers did. What pis... you off is that the immigrants today have the old work ethic that people had long ago. America's lazy ass people today feel their snail slime way of life is threatened by people willing to work their buttz off for a fair days wage. You are only held down by you willingness to improve you lot in life. In Alabama,there is a trade school or a junior college within driving distance to ANYONE who wants to climb up out of their "hole". It's up to you.
We know that it is up to us!!!

However, a recent survey of jobs noted that over 60% of the new jobs went to immigrants and illegal aliens in the restaurant and service industries. It wasn't that citizens were not willing to work, it was that citizens would at lest like to be treated like human beings and paid a competitive wage!

You are unpatriotic when you paint Americans as sloven when, in fact, what is going on is representative of the American way of life...the reason that the immigrants, both legal and illegal came here. Yet, the most facinating thing that you don't see is that their coming here decreases our wages and the QUALITY of American jobs.

The old work ethic that you described worked both ways, it ensured that workers were treated fairly, had safe and fair working conditions, and treated their workers fairly, ensuring a fair and liveable wage!!!!

Illegal aliens will do anything and put up with anything...is that the way you see it for Americans?!!!
MJA345

San Jose, CA

#32 Oct 18, 2012
Wait, wasn't this Alabama program supposed to get Americans back to work because all those illegals supposedly took their jobs? Americans are so lazy!
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#33 Oct 18, 2012
magadala wrote:
<quoted text>
We know that it is up to us!!!
However, a recent survey of jobs noted that over 60% of the new jobs went to immigrants and illegal aliens in the restaurant and service industries. It wasn't that citizens were not willing to work, it was that citizens would at lest like to be treated like human beings and paid a competitive wage!
You are unpatriotic when you paint Americans as sloven when, in fact, what is going on is representative of the American way of life...the reason that the immigrants, both legal and illegal came here. Yet, the most facinating thing that you don't see is that their coming here decreases our wages and the QUALITY of American jobs.
The old work ethic that you described worked both ways, it ensured that workers were treated fairly, had safe and fair working conditions, and treated their workers fairly, ensuring a fair and liveable wage!!!!
Illegal aliens will do anything and put up with anything...is that the way you see it for Americans?!!!
Our work ethic in the past was to seek employment ,live on what you made and not on credit cards buying all the latest toys. People worked to improve their lives by working extra jobs and getting a better education either at local colleges or trade schools. My family did it that way,my parents did it that way,and I did it that way with no regrets. We made it on our own without "entitlements" or " guaranteed living wages" We have too many people who put no effort into their future and want a simple no effort job with big bucks so they can live like mommy and daddy . These Americans are not willing to start at the bottom and work their way up. They want to hop on the ladder 3/4 of the way up.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#34 Oct 19, 2012
I saw a commercial the other night looking for money to feed children and at the end of the commercial the announcer said “no child should ever go hungry”. That mentality is the problem. No child should ever starve but it is good for the soul to go hungry once in a while especially for children. Hunger is the greatest motivator there is. Every creature on this planet is motivated by hunger. Our government gives money to the parents to feed their children and then feeds them at school for free because they know many of the parents will not use the money to feed their children. Rather than assuring that the parents use the money to feed their children the government feed them also. No wonder there are so many unmotivated, lazy, obese children. Maybe they should feed the children at school based on their grades.
thinking wat a loss

Ames, IA

#35 Nov 18, 2012
It all doesn't matter we traded brown for black now instead of mexicans eye raping my 14yr daughter at walmart there is black gangster thug wanna b's walking around grabing their crotches and making comments to her nothing was fixed it is worse
Momof5

Wellington, AL

#37 Sep 29, 2013
Holiday wrote:
I was forwarded an article out of TN the other day. Tyson Foods has done away with Labor Day and will not be celebrating a Muslim Holiday in its' place. Unbelievable!
That is just wrong. This is America. If they want to celebrate that they need to go back over seas.
Momof5

Wellington, AL

#38 Sep 29, 2013
Agreed wrote:
<quoted text>I happened upon CURRENT Channel last night and their report about WalMart's low pay, cutting hours, health care too expensive for low paid employees and the fact that WalMart tells employees to apply for HUD Housing, Foodstamps, WIC and Medicaid.
walmart in Boaz is awful. if u get hurt they will fire u and make u sign paper before giving ur w-2.They are also very sexist and show lots of favoritism. women get pd way less and less hpurs. they get rugs made at maples in scottsboro and that plant is just as bad if not worse. Leads sleep with employees hispanics have more rights than white people. they always hire illegals. Always.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guntersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alabama i... (Oct '10) Fri JohnJ 215
Water in Arab Aug 29 PoisonedWater 2
Personal affairs in a public position Aug 28 Concerned 16
ed teal scott walls doug gibbs cybersquatting s... (May '10) Aug 28 Corruption pisses... 37
4 bedroom house Aug 28 karenangels 2
Why is Israel the only civilised country in the... Aug 27 Asare 1
Durty snapchat Aug 15 bamaboy90420 1
•••
•••
Guntersville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Guntersville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000