Do yo remember Stone's Ice Cream? Strolling down memory lane!

Posted in the Gulfport Forum

“Survive and Thrive! ”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#1 Feb 7, 2013
They use to serve a flavor of ice cream called: Grape Pineapple, and it was delicious.

Do any of you remember that place, or that flavor they once served?

I also use to eat at this place called: The Dog House. They made the best chili dogs, and double cheeseburgers. I think it closed, and moved across the street, and was renamed Dog N Burger, but it was the same man that cooked the food when it was across the street. His name was Wayne I think.

I'm 58, and have lived away from the coast for many, many years, and I guess I am taking a stroll down memory lane.

I miss the coast, and only have great memories when I lived there.

“Survive and Thrive! ”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#2 Feb 13, 2013
Guess not!

Trust me, they were awesome!

I miss the Pirates Cove roast beef Po-Boy too in Pass Christian. lol

Have fun Gulfport...I miss my Gulf Coast!!
Wayne

Gulfport, MS

#3 Jun 29, 2014
Indeed, I remember Stone's Ice Cream. Spent maybe a summer aftenoon there after swimming at the Markham pool. Remember Ken's Ball and Cue on Pass Rd? Ken's uncle was Mr. Stone. Ken teried to get the grape-pineapple recipe for me but never did. Ken passed about a year ago. You've got a good memory! The Dog House was owned by the Simmons family (Simmons Park And Eat on Hwy 90 just west of Hwy 49) and Wayne May worked there and eventually took it over and re-named it Dog N Burger. Remember Biff Burger? Lots of changes to the coast...not too many for the good.
Jimmy Rants wrote:
They use to serve a flavor of ice cream called: Grape Pineapple, and it was delicious.
Do any of you remember that place, or that flavor they once served?
I also use to eat at this place called: The Dog House. They made the best chili dogs, and double cheeseburgers. I think it closed, and moved across the street, and was renamed Dog N Burger, but it was the same man that cooked the food when it was across the street. His name was Wayne I think.
I'm 58, and have lived away from the coast for many, many years, and I guess I am taking a stroll down memory lane.
I miss the coast, and only have great memories when I lived there.

“Survive and Thrive! ”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#4 Jun 29, 2014
Wayne wrote:
Indeed, I remember Stone's Ice Cream. Spent maybe a summer aftenoon there after swimming at the Markham pool. Remember Ken's Ball and Cue on Pass Rd? Ken's uncle was Mr. Stone. Ken teried to get the grape-pineapple recipe for me but never did. Ken passed about a year ago. You've got a good memory! The Dog House was owned by the Simmons family (Simmons Park And Eat on Hwy 90 just west of Hwy 49) and Wayne May worked there and eventually took it over and re-named it Dog N Burger. Remember Biff Burger? Lots of changes to the coast...not too many for the good.
<quoted text>
Oh wow, you truly brought back some great memories for me. I use to shoot pool with some friends at Ken's Ball and Cue. Such a fun place back then. I can see the Markham Hotel just thinking about it. White building, with green trim I think. That was like the Ritz in its day.

Every time we went to the beach in Gulfport, my parents would treat us to that delicious grape pineapple ice cream. I can smell it just by thinking about it. lol. I do remember Park and Eat, as well as Moody's restaurant/Motel on Highway 90. Also a place called Angelo's on the beach.

My daughter use to play, and hang around Wayne May's daughter when they were just kids. What a nice guy Wayne was. I remember as a kid these ladies who use to cook in the Dog House, as well as a young Wayne. Perhaps that was the Simmons family. I'm just not sure.

I'm not sure about the Biff Burger to be honest. I do remember a Burger Chef on Pass Road. I think that one bit the dust.(Gosh, I'm so home sick now for some good old Mississippi Gulf Coast cooking and hospitality).

Another thing I miss, was the way the old Sears and Roebuck use to decorate the display windows at Christmas time. I'd ride up that escalator, and head straight to that candy store they had sitting there, and order some Malted Balls. I also miss the Sands and Paramount Theater. Oh, I can't leave out Gryder Shoes, The Toggery and M. Salloms for buying clothes.

Thank you #1., for responding, and thank you for reminding me of some things I forgot about.

Take care, and eat a seafood platter for me, and catch a speckle trout as well if you enjoy fishing. LOL
Wayne

Gulfport, MS

#5 Jul 1, 2014
It's me again. Biff Burger was on the south side of Pass Rd just west of Courhouse Rd. It was next to Hardy Court Shopping Center. I worked at Biff Burger (my first real job). Burger Chef, of course, is long gone but the building still stands...you can still see the orange diamond shaped panels on the side of the building. Jimmy, you are bringing up some old memories. I can smell the hot nuts that would hit you the minute you walked into Sears. The Paramount is long gone...and the Sands (originally the Legion Theatre!! Remember that?). If you don't mind my asking who did you hang out with at Ken's? You and I are close in age. Gulfport East or Gulfport High? I'm Gulfport East 1971. I'll bet we know some of the same people. I spent lots of time at Ken's and the bowling alley on Courthouse Rd. Here's one very few people recall,,,Benny's Palm Drive Inn..on east Pass Rd sort of close to Debuys Rd (the Gulfport/Biloxi line). How about Milo's Pizza? We'd go there and eat a couple of pizzas and I always got a grinder with 2 or 3 Barq's root beers. I enjoy strolling down memory lane but if I get annoying just let me know.

“Survive and Thrive! ”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#6 Jul 1, 2014
You're not annoying at all. It's been fun strolling down memory lane.

I went to a private high school in Bay St. Louis.(St. Stanislaus). I did have a lot of friends in Gulfport, but I mostly grew up in the Pass. Most of my friends were either from Pass Christian, or Bay St. Louis.

I do remember Milo's Pizza At one time, my family lived in the same neighborhood as the man who owned Milo's in Handsboro. I only lived there for one year.(Singwood Subdivision) off of Courthouse Road, behind French's Drug Store. That was in 1964.

I guess in a way, it's sad the coast I knew and loved, is not the same coast I knew as a kid. I guess that's progress, and change due from past hurricanes. I'm not sure if that change is good or not.

I guess everything now revolves around casinos and hotels for vacationers. I need to take a trip back to the coast and see for myself all of the changes. I hope the fishing is still good since the B.P. disaster. What a shame.

Thanks for the chat....it was really fun.

Oh, two of my friends I hung with, was a guy name Sky Wright (Gulfport East). Another was David Ripple (Gulfport High). Not sure if you knew them. WOW, that was long ago.

Take care!
Wayne

Biloxi, MS

#7 Jul 6, 2014
Sky Wright!! I can't believe it. Such a small world. About a year ago I was in the Regions Bank branch on Cowan-Lorraine Rd and spoke with Sky Wright. I had not known him before then but when he introduced himself I told him I would never forget his name and I haven't. Sky Wright...what a great name! It sounds like a 1950's kids TV show. Did he have a sister named Theresa? The name Theresa Wight just popped into my head. I know the Singwood area well...one of my classmates lived at the corner of Singwood and Courthouse....Gary Braun. Did you know the Parnells (Tommy)? His family lived on the SW corner of Courthouse and Commerce. I grew up in the Bayou View area and by 1964 all my buddies and I were all over the area riding our bikes as far as Kremer Marine for fishing and swimming. One place I'm always surprised so few people from my age group remember is Hoover Drugs...corner of Pass Rd and Washington Ave. Spent many an hour there...Mr. Hoover would let the kids sit in the front of the store and read the comics...for FREE. We'd all buy ice cream cones (5 cents for a single scoop)...dipped by Mr. Charlie...an elderly black man who was a clerk in the store. Even though we could read for free we'd all buy a couple of comic books and a couple of cones so I guess Mr. Hoover did OK. It was a different world back then. I spent my summers riding bikes all over the Bayou View area and catching the bus to go downtown for movies or to go swimming at the Markham. Still a few of us "old timers" around and I always enjoy getting together with them to share memories. Take care, Jimmy.
Jimmy Rants wrote:
You're not annoying at all. It's been fun strolling down memory lane.
I went to a private high school in Bay St. Louis.(St. Stanislaus). I did have a lot of friends in Gulfport, but I mostly grew up in the Pass. Most of my friends were either from Pass Christian, or Bay St. Louis.
I do remember Milo's Pizza At one time, my family lived in the same neighborhood as the man who owned Milo's in Handsboro. I only lived there for one year.(Singwood Subdivision) off of Courthouse Road, behind French's Drug Store. That was in 1964.
I guess in a way, it's sad the coast I knew and loved, is not the same coast I knew as a kid. I guess that's progress, and change due from past hurricanes. I'm not sure if that change is good or not.
I guess everything now revolves around casinos and hotels for vacationers. I need to take a trip back to the coast and see for myself all of the changes. I hope the fishing is still good since the B.P. disaster. What a shame.
Thanks for the chat....it was really fun.
Oh, two of my friends I hung with, was a guy name Sky Wright (Gulfport East). Another was David Ripple (Gulfport High). Not sure if you knew them. WOW, that was long ago.
Take care!

“Survive and Thrive! ”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#8 Jul 10, 2014
Wayne wrote:
Sky Wright!! I can't believe it. Such a small world. About a year ago I was in the Regions Bank branch on Cowan-Lorraine Rd and spoke with Sky Wright. I had not known him before then but when he introduced himself I told him I would never forget his name and I haven't. Sky Wright...what a great name! It sounds like a 1950's kids TV show. Did he have a sister named Theresa? The name Theresa Wight just popped into my head. I know the Singwood area well...one of my classmates lived at the corner of Singwood and Courthouse....Gary Braun. Did you know the Parnells (Tommy)? His family lived on the SW corner of Courthouse and Commerce. I grew up in the Bayou View area and by 1964 all my buddies and I were all over the area riding our bikes as far as Kremer Marine for fishing and swimming. One place I'm always surprised so few people from my age group remember is Hoover Drugs...corner of Pass Rd and Washington Ave. Spent many an hour there...Mr. Hoover would let the kids sit in the front of the store and read the comics...for FREE. We'd all buy ice cream cones (5 cents for a single scoop)...dipped by Mr. Charlie...an elderly black man who was a clerk in the store. Even though we could read for free we'd all buy a couple of comic books and a couple of cones so I guess Mr. Hoover did OK. It was a different world back then. I spent my summers riding bikes all over the Bayou View area and catching the bus to go downtown for movies or to go swimming at the Markham. Still a few of us "old timers" around and I always enjoy getting together with them to share memories. Take care, Jimmy.
<quoted text>
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. My computer bit the dust, and I had to buy a new one with a different operating system. I am not use to Windows 8.1 at all, and it is like Greek to me. I'm learning now. lol

If you ever see Sky Wright again, ask him if he remembers a guy with a nickname known as "Skipper." Sky had a girlfriend named Larinda Bates who was great friends with this guy named "Skipper." LOL, okay, Skipper is my nickname. I know Sky Wright had a brother younger than him, but I am not sure about a Theresa Wright.

I knew a guy named Ray Braun that lived on Courthouse Road just before you turn into the Singwood Subdivision. This was back in 1964 when I went to a school in Handsboro in the 4th grade. I also lived on Glen Valley Way, just off of Singwood Drive. I remember so many people when I was a kid, but being 60 now, I cannot remember their names. I am not sure about the name Parnell, even though my dad used to know some Parnell's.

I do remember Hoover Drugs from way back. If only you knew how homesick you are making me....lol. I need a vacation to good old Gulfport.

I left the coast long ago and traveled all over the world to do my job. I ended up in California for 10 years, then to Reno, Nevada and ended up in Colorado. I haven't been back to Gulfport since 2009 for a short trip to visit some family.

Let me ask you this, did you ever know a guy named Daniel Wilkey by any chance? I use to be friends with these two guys names Noel and Maurice. I cannot for the life of me remember their last name. I'm just trying to think of a few people that either went to Gulfport high, or Gulfport East.

Thanks a lot for reminding me of things that I have long forgotten. It has been fun. Again, sorry it took so long for me to get back with you....Take care!!
Wayne

Gulfport, MS

#9 Jul 14, 2014
I wonder if Larinda Bates is related to Wendy Bates? Wendy's dad owned Bates Grocery on Pass Rd. I worked there one summer. Jimmy, I've been back and forth to the Gulf Coast myself over the past 40 years or so. I moved back about 15 years ago due my parents health problems The casino's and Katrina were the two big game changers from what I've seen. So much from our childhood is gone for one reason or another. Katrina took out the old Stone's Ice Cream location as well as The Daily Herald Building that was just down from Stones and across from the Markham. Katrina took out the First Baptist Chruch...it is so weird to see that big empty lot. Remember Six Gun Junction and the Deer Ranch on Debuys Rd, just south of the railroad tracks? About 3 or 4 years ago some of the former employees put together a reunion and performed some of the old skits and music. I went and loved it. I never worked there but I have friends who did. I don't recall anyone named Noel...I know Neil Resh...as for Maurice...I knew a Maurice Gary. I used to see him from time to time. Ray Braun has to be Gary Braun's brother. Gary lived in a "yellowish" brick home
on the corner of Courthouse and Singwood. Daniel Wilkey is not familiar to me. I did know a "Skipper" Carlise but I think "Skipper" was a few years older than me. I still run into old friends, former classmates and friends of my siblings. I have older brothers and sisters so my "network" is extensive. Plus, I had family in Biloxi so I spent lots of time over there too. That was sort of stange because of the big Biloxi-Gulfport rivalry back then. Good to share all these memories with you.

“Survive and Thrive! ”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#10 Jul 14, 2014
Wayne wrote:
I wonder if Larinda Bates is related to Wendy Bates? Wendy's dad owned Bates Grocery on Pass Rd. I worked there one summer. Jimmy, I've been back and forth to the Gulf Coast myself over the past 40 years or so. I moved back about 15 years ago due my parents health problems The casino's and Katrina were the two big game changers from what I've seen. So much from our childhood is gone for one reason or another. Katrina took out the old Stone's Ice Cream location as well as The Daily Herald Building that was just down from Stones and across from the Markham. Katrina took out the First Baptist Chruch...it is so weird to see that big empty lot. Remember Six Gun Junction and the Deer Ranch on Debuys Rd, just south of the railroad tracks? About 3 or 4 years ago some of the former employees put together a reunion and performed some of the old skits and music. I went and loved it. I never worked there but I have friends who did. I don't recall anyone named Noel...I know Neil Resh...as for Maurice...I knew a Maurice Gary. I used to see him from time to time. Ray Braun has to be Gary Braun's brother. Gary lived in a "yellowish" brick home
on the corner of Courthouse and Singwood. Daniel Wilkey is not familiar to me. I did know a "Skipper" Carlise but I think "Skipper" was a few years older than me. I still run into old friends, former classmates and friends of my siblings. I have older brothers and sisters so my "network" is extensive. Plus, I had family in Biloxi so I spent lots of time over there too. That was sort of stange because of the big Biloxi-Gulfport rivalry back then. Good to share all these memories with you.
I'm pretty sure Larinda and Wendy Bates are not related. I pretty much grew up with the family of Larinda Bates, and I never heard mention of a Wendy. I can just picture that yellowish brick house on Courthouse Road. I was in the 4th grade with Ray Braun, and I think he did have a brother named Gary. In fact we played on the 4th grade Pee Wee football team together. I'm sure we were just awful back then...lol. I ended up playing quarterback at St. Stanislaus in the Bay. Even though I was born in Gulfport, I never lived in Gulfport after I was 10 years old. My family moved to Pass Christian, and I lived there during my formative years until I went into the military and then I got my degree in California. I have lived away from the coast more than I have lived on the coast now, but my heart is still with the Mississippi Gulf Coast. My dad was a state trooper, and my mother retired working at one of the large retail chains at Edgewater Mall. I did visit the coast after Katrina, and I could not believe my eyes. It's not the same coast I knew when I lived there. I am not sure who "Skipper" is you mentioned, nor do I recall Neil and that particular Maurice. It was just so long ago, it's hard for me to remember last names. I mostly knew my friends by their first name when I was really young. I do remember Six Gun Junction, and the Red Dog Saloon. WOW, that was a long time ago. I just hate that everything I knew back then is now gone. I also remember the big rivalry games between Gulfport and Biloxi. I also remember the big basketball rivalry game between Harrison Central and Gulfport High. I now call that the 'good old days'. lol. Thanks for all of the reminders. I hope to visit the coast in the future. I have a lot of family still there. Take care of yourself, and eat a shrimp Po Boy for me. lol
Wayne

Gulfport, MS

#12 Jul 22, 2014
I'll probably have a po'boy with an ice cold Barq's this weekend at Lil Rays. Good strolling down memory lane with you If ever I find a find a recipe for grape-pineapple ice cream I will let you know. Take care.

“Survive and Thrive! ”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#13 Jul 31, 2014
That would be to good to be true, getting the grape pineapple ice cream recipe. It would be like dying, and going to heaven or something.

I use to love going to Lil Ray's. Especially at the original location in Bay St. Louis. I think there is one on Courthouse Road unless they moved, and there was one in Long Beach on Jeff Davis Ave.

I think Lil Ray's makes the best shrimp Po Boy, but I'lI have to go with the Pirates Cove in Pass Christian for the best roast beef Po Boy...Yeah...I'm homesick. lol

You take care!!! It was fun indeed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gulfport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Ocean Springs, MS (Aug '10) 22 hr duh 26
Review: Dixie Devil Tattoo (Jan '10) Wed da debil 83
Mayor Morans on the lamb (Jun '14) Jan 27 O S BOB 18
Anybody know anything about Dixie Mafia involve... (Jul '09) Jan 27 MsOutlaw 81
biloxi warrants for arrest Jan 26 biloxi 1
Debate: Marijuana - D'Iberville, MS (Nov '10) Jan 23 Wil Daniels 9
Harrison County Tax Sale (Jul '14) Jan 22 Zach 7
Gulfport Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Gulfport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:54 pm PST

Bleacher Report 3:54PM
2015 Falcons Draft Pick Profile: WR Phillip Dorsett
Bleacher Report 8:55 PM
Falcons Potential Draft Pick: LB Denzel Perryman
NBC Sports 3:41 AM
Mickey Loomis: Saints letting Junior Galette case run its course before taking any action
NBC Sports 5:04 AM
Saints players shocked by team's ownership squabble
NBC Sports 7:42 AM
Jimmy Graham: Pro Bowl will help dictate if he needs surgery