The secret to landing a job

Posted in the Gulfport Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Passionate

Byram, MS

#1 Nov 17, 2012
I'm trying so hard to get a job. I apply for every office job I see. My resume is respectable.... Whats the secret?
Jumper

United States

#2 Nov 18, 2012
Who you know
Passionate wrote:
I'm trying so hard to get a job. I apply for every office job I see. My resume is respectable.... Whats the secret?
gulf

Mcnary, AZ

#3 Nov 22, 2012
In this region? Nothing. Have a college degree in something technical or some kind of trade skills. And even then don't expect anything. This state thrives on nepotism. People here get ahead by 'knowing people'-- can't count the number of people who have told me they 'got the job' by 'knowing this guy' or 'that guy.'

That's how it works here, its not about your talent. You can be a drunk idiot & if you know the right guy you're getting a job. If you're not connected -- you're screwed. Pretty much that simple. Otherwise all I can tell you is to 'blanket' apply @ hundreds of places. And to be frank with you even then you may not get a job given how terrible the economy is.

You'd be smart to move to a place like Houston -- that has PLENTY of oil work or Dallas -- but even then its hard to measure because even then you're not guaranteed anything. If you're under 35 -- you can always join the military but again -- don't expect anything. You'll have to start from the bottom but @ least you'll have free health care.

Good luck.
Passionate

Ridgeland, MS

#4 Nov 26, 2012
I have two lil girls moving is not an option... Unfortunately I am going to have join the crowd and start kissing ass to anyone I know can get me in the door...well any door for that matter...i hate that positions are judged based on who you know not what you know
Orville

Ocean Springs, MS

#5 Nov 27, 2012
Passionate wrote:
You have my sympathy about your plight. However, let me point out a few observations from your and other posts on this blog:

1. When you say your resume' is respectable, what does that mean? All opinions are subjective and someone else may think it is terrible.
2. What experience do you have that will be of value to your potential employer?
3. Does your education and training match the requirements for the position you are applying for?
4. Your post indicates you want office work. Have you considered other positions?
5. Have you registered at the WIN center for training and/or assistance? Also, while there you might see what job offerings they have.
6. Are your salary/wage demands in line with the positions you have applied for?
7: Your post does not indicate if you are married but if not have you made provisions for your children while you work? Also, if, on your resume you list the fact that you have two children remove that data and only bring it up if an employer asks, which by the way is illegal for them to ask.

I could add more, but I hope you get the gist of my post. Simply sending out a resume' and waiting for the phone call will not get you a job. Yes, nepotism and cronyism are very much alive but if you are really prepared, emotionally and by training and experience there are opportunities out there.

Good hunting
gulf

Mcnary, AZ

#6 Nov 27, 2012
Passionate wrote:
I have two lil girls moving is not an option... Unfortunately I am going to have join the crowd and start kissing ass to anyone I know can get me in the door...well any door for that matter...i hate that positions are judged based on who you know not what you know
Got kids? Ouch. I'm glad I never had any.

That's gonna make your life that much harder. If you really need a job I'd suggest welfare. If you can't get a job do whatever you can for your kids. Hard to put it that way but its really about the way you should put it. Good luck.
Orville

Ocean Springs, MS

#7 Nov 29, 2012
http://www.refdesk.com/jobsearch.html

This is a very good data base with links for those looking for jobs and assistance in finding jobs.
Passionate

Ridgeland, MS

#8 Nov 29, 2012
Thank you I will check it now
Passionate

Ridgeland, MS

#9 Nov 29, 2012
I am married and my husband is successful in his own right but its impossible to maintain a household with one income. I graduated high school and went straight into restaurants. I was a food and beverage supervisor for almost 10 years. Five in one job and five in another. I have obviously had to adapt to many operating systems for different job requirements. I don't want to do F and B anymore. The hours are crazy and the stress is extreme. I am extremely able to time manage and have made customer service a priority. I would think the skills I learned, operating systems I'm functional with, and extreme amount of trust with large sums of money I have earned would be adaptable to any field but apparently I was mistaken.
Hmmm

Boise, ID

#10 Nov 30, 2012
The secret to getting a job is doing anything you have to do to get a job. Which means you may have to work in F and B some more....
Haha

Ridgeland, MS

#11 Nov 30, 2012
Yes unfortunately you may be right
gulf

Mcnary, AZ

#12 Nov 30, 2012
Passionate wrote:
I am married and my husband is successful in his own right but its impossible to maintain a household with one income. I graduated high school and went straight into restaurants. I was a food and beverage supervisor for almost 10 years. Five in one job and five in another. I have obviously had to adapt to many operating systems for different job requirements. I don't want to do F and B anymore. The hours are crazy and the stress is extreme. I am extremely able to time manage and have made customer service a priority. I would think the skills I learned, operating systems I'm functional with, and extreme amount of trust with large sums of money I have earned would be adaptable to any field but apparently I was mistaken.
While commendable for your honesty & work ethic sadly those are skills that nay other swinging dick can do. The key is having some kind of hard, rigorous job skills that are hard to duplicate & that are applicable to the economy -- that's not so easy.

Good luck to you.
Passionate

Byram, MS

#13 Dec 1, 2012
Thank you
anon

United States

#14 Apr 17, 2013
just apply for disability, everyone has it
Airplane watcher

Sioux City, IA

#15 Apr 18, 2013
Passionate wrote:
LOL, no. How smart are you? Go back to community college. A one-year LPN nursing program at USM or your local community college(think yours would be Pearl River) will get you a 15 dollar an hour job where ever you want. A 2 year RN position will get you a job making 20 an hour starting out & triple that the following year with a year's experience in a hospital because of the nursing shortage.

You're problem is that you're in the restaurant industry & there are literally tens of millions of illegal Mexicans & random joe blow yahoos who can take the job of "food & beverage diretor."

That's one of those politically correct terms like calling a garbage man a "sanitation engineer" or a "sanitation technician". You were basically some kind of an asst. manager @ a restaurant. Any other jerk off with a GED can do that job.

Get your nursing degree or some other type of medical field cert -- that's going to be the only halfway decent field to study in. The service industry is dead. We have too many illegal aliens & unemployed yahoos trying to get your job so its causing a job shortage & wage suppression.
Airplane watcher

Sioux City, IA

#16 Apr 18, 2013
Hmmm wrote:
The secret to getting a job is doing anything you have to do to get a job. Which means you may have to work in F and B some more....
Wished it was that easy. I was standing at Walmart in D'Iberville yesterday waiting for somebody & I noticed 2 Mexicans working in maintenance there.

The "do whatever you have to do" meme worked 10 years ago -- doesn't work now. Unless you're willing to travel so far away that it literally isn't worth going to work for.(because of the sky high gas prices)
Passionate

Hattiesburg, MS

#17 Apr 21, 2013
I am not currently able to go back to school. Next year my youngest will start kindergarten and I will be able to then. While I appreciate your opinion and about anyone with a GED being able to be in F and B, with a proven track-record of success, I landed a job paying substantially more than I requested. Anyone can "land" a job in restaurants but that doesnt mean everyone is good at it. I took my almost decade long experience in management and moved into the banking industry. Persistence pays off!
Unemployed PhD

Central City, KY

#18 Apr 27, 2013
Passionate wrote:
A "respectable" resume can sometimes hurt your chances. With unemployment as high as it is now, employers pick and choose a lot more closely than they do when labor is in short supply. A lot of employers want young people just starting out because they can pay them less and threat them worse. Athough age discrimination is illegal, employers can and do screen out people with more work history.
Gulf

Sioux City, IA

#19 Apr 27, 2013
Unemployed PhD wrote:
<quoted text>
A "respectable" resume can sometimes hurt your chances. With unemployment as high as it is now, employers pick and choose a lot more closely than they do when labor is in short supply. A lot of employers want young people just starting out because they can pay them less and threat them worse. Athough age discrimination is illegal, employers can and do screen out people with more work history.
Sure do. And they justify by saying you're "overqualified."

They want some idiot with a low iq they can boss around who won't quit the second they find something better but rather somebody who will stay in the same job for an extremely long period of time.
Passionate

Belzoni, MS

#20 Apr 27, 2013
Gulf wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure do. And they justify by saying you're "overqualified."
They want some idiot with a low iq they can boss around who won't quit the second they find something better but rather somebody who will stay in the same job for an extremely long period of time.
Agreed! I must have went on 20 interviews that I was qualified for a position but they chose another route. I was finding myself being interviewed by people who are younger than me with less experiance than I have. I networked and applied for almost a year for anything I wanted or would qualify for. This is a very tough time for those that don't qualify for any kind of assistance!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gulfport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
holmes motor Mon John Rose 1
Dr. Bart Edmiston, (pain managment) (Nov '11) Sep 13 Undrcvr 8
I love you PB (Feb '16) Sep 1 Lovesick for PB 3
News He checked in at a hotel and left in handcuffs ... Sep 1 majtrish 1
Lookiing for info Sep 1 CMON 2
Review: Holmes Motors (Jul '08) Aug 31 0000ntb 143
News Whitehouse dies from injuries; Odom charged wit... (Mar '08) Aug '17 Neutral 7

Gulfport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gulfport Mortgages