Ingalls workers speak out on decision...

Ingalls workers speak out on decision to close Gulfport facility

There are 4 comments on the WLOX-TV Biloxi story from Sep 4, 2013, titled Ingalls workers speak out on decision to close Gulfport facility. In it, WLOX-TV Biloxi reports that:

The shipyard specializes in making key components for ships from a man-made composite material.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLOX-TV Biloxi.

Anderson

Sioux City, IA

#1 Sep 4, 2013
The Pascagoula yard is coming next.

Just you wait. Avondale will go down next. The navy is moving everything up to Newport News or Maine or out to San Diego. Its too out of the way to come down this way.

Good luck to all the people who lost their jobs out there.
watchful eye

Washington, DC

#2 Sep 5, 2013
some of that isn't exactly a stretch as they have been talking about closing Avondale since 2011. However, it is extremely unlikely that Ingalls will ever close. The only thing that may shut them down is congress and the defense budget......until then expect the same ole same ole hire, fire, layoff and rehire routine
Anderson

Sioux City, IA

#3 Sep 5, 2013
watchful eye wrote:
some of that isn't exactly a stretch as they have been talking about closing Avondale since 2011. However, it is extremely unlikely that Ingalls will ever close. The only thing that may shut them down is congress and the defense budget......until then expect the same ole same ole hire, fire, layoff and rehire routine
I didn't want to get that in-depth on the topic but you nailed exactly what I'm pretty sure is gonna happen. 80 million Baby Boomers are about to retire. Their Soc. Security, Section 8, Food Stamps, Medicare, etc -- use is going to skyrocket.

I hate to tell it to the Sth. Koreans & Japanese & the Europeans & every other proto-state that relies on us for defense so they don't have to spend money on their own defense budgets but....but...but...lol. Yea, our defense budget is going to be gutted, in half. I think the Marine Corp will be totally merged with the navy rather than being like an independent autonomous "sub dept" of the navy. They'll probably cut the number of marines down to 30-40k & make them the security on the naval vessels.

Those big air carrier groups are all going to be mothballed. They cost too much to upkeep. Those F35 & F22 fighters -- same thing. They'll scrap them or sell them as there won't be money to keep them maintained properly & the pilots trained correctly.

The Fed already "owns" about 30-31% of the T-bond market. We're already printing money. The govt is running a giant scam. If interest rates go up on the national debt -- and they will as treasury rates are rising right now, then the national debt portion of the federal budget is going to double, or triple, or worse.

Oh brother, things are gonna get nasty. I'm not one of those doomsday prepper nuts but after about 2018 if you don't have at least half a year's worth of canned food & bottled water & at least one shotgun with ammunition to protect your home, you're asking for whatever comes your way.

Ingalls is gonna close because we already have ships we don't use. We have a massive navy that's the size it was almost when the Cold War was going & yet we have no real threats with a 'blue water navy.'

China has a median navy but they only give 2 sh*ts about the 2 China Seas & their general region. And like that poll the other day where 9% only of Americans backed war with Syria -- yea I think a similar number will support 'engagement' against the Chinese.

Medicare & Soc. Security alone are going to bankrupt us. Google 'social security & medicare unfunded liabilities' & read the data/math. Its insane. Tens of TRILLIONS of dollars.

The govt will either default or just print it up into toilet paper.

Either way the military is going to shrink big time. And I don't see why not. Why do you need so many naval ships when all you're doing is chasing Somali wannabe hijackers who run around the Red Sea in fracking speedboats? I mean give me a break. We don't need Cold War era sized naval battle groups. The Russian navy is a shell of its former self & despite Putin's big mouth he can't do much of anything.

His country's demographics are worse than ours & he has a rapidly aging population. Iran will have more ppl than Russia in another 2 or 3 decades. And that assumes Russia keeps gaining Muslim & Chinese immigrants. Putin is a dying joke. China's population is aging too. In another 2 decades they won't have the money or the patience to saber rattle.

America's in deep sh*t because 80 million Boomers are retiring & these ppl are the primary taxpayers. They say over 50% of all kids being born right now are non-white. 73% of blacks & 53% of hispanics/latinos are born out of wedlock. Uncle Sam IS THE FATHER of these kids. These kids won't replace the retiring boomers. They're net tax consumers, not payers. No no no, Uncle Sam is gonna go broke because the ppl coming up aren't replacing the ones going out. And the ones going out are gonna need a fortune to pay for them in retirement. We're heading for meltdown.
Anderson

Sioux City, IA

#5 Sep 5, 2013
Sorry for the double post above. Anyway, the DofDefense is saying that "tens of thousands of engineers" will be laid off if sequestration goes thru.

And this isn't Obama's fault:

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/09/sequestra...

Obama is way too right-wing & corporate friendly on this issue for my political tastes, which are far-left. I want to cut the size of the military now so we have wiggle room later to help absorb the welfare state. Because the cuts will be more expensive in the future, from a budgetary p.o.v.

Obama, the "liberal" actually wants to hike taxes to pay for these Dept of Defense programs. I want them cut period, so Obama is really p*ssing me off. But the GOP has been taken over by libertarian anarchist nutcases who aren't conservative. That idiot Palazzo & Trent Lott are conservative, but conservatives want govt. Libertarians want NO GOVT.

The tea party idiots in the House are causing all this ruckus with their refusal to raise taxes on the rich to pay for all this crap.

But its terrible, Ingalls will shut down just as the Gulfport yard closed & just like how Avondale will shut down.

The military is going to shrink. And if you work for Ingalls -- you better be making plans now. Saving up money, in case you get laid off, contacting other companies, what have you. That's to whoever is reading this. Good luck to you guys.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gulfport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Holmes Motors (Jul '08) Sat Slenderlady89 142
Anybody know anything about Dixie Mafia involve... (Jul '09) Aug 17 phyllis anderson ... 127
Looking for Wendy Rayner Aug 13 SeaBee 3
News Lawsuit: Toddlers sexually assaulted while in H... (Jan '16) Aug 13 darla birdsall 3
Smooth Talker and User in Long Beach Aug 12 Qzvar 3
News Gulfport nursing home owner charged with operat... (Aug '09) Aug 12 Ralph 16
Judy Soga (Dec '16) Aug 7 Family 2

Gulfport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gulfport Mortgages