Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciting Pledge of Allegiance

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

A Mississippi judge jailed a lawyer for several hours for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, ordering the attorney to "purge himself" of contempt by standing and repeating the oath like the rest of the courtroom.
Comments
1,581 - 1,600 of 1,986 Comments Last updated Monday Aug 25
...Born Again Christian

United States

#1826 Nov 6, 2012
Please
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1827 Nov 6, 2012
I am doing a write in vote for "none of the above". Neither candidate on the ballot i fit to be a leader.

We can not let the system force us to obey lunatics that have no inspiring visions.
tree hugger

Salt Lake City, UT

#1828 Nov 8, 2012
Adolpho B wrote:
All the CP's and tree hugging girlymen should go on a big boat back to where they comed from.
I think Adolpho B gets his rocks off by writing deliberate BS just to try and get people mad. Don't believe him people!
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1829 Nov 8, 2012
tree hugger wrote:
<quoted text> I think Adolpho B gets his rocks off by writing deliberate BS just to try and get people mad. Don't believe him people!
It is called freedom of speech. You have the freedom not to read it.
tree hugger

Salt Lake City, UT

#1830 Nov 8, 2012
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
It is called freedom of speech. You have the freedom not to read it.
Yes it is, but that is not my point. I enjoy reading his blogs but I think he is pulling our legs.
Just curious

United States

#1831 Nov 8, 2012
anon wrote:
"George County needs to get out of the stone age and take advantage of the possibilities here rather than trying to push personal religious beliefs. "
==========
The individuals of George county have the right to live and worship as they please they do not have the right to force their neighbor to do the same as they would like.
Education is a personal responsibility. The public school system is a scam to make wage slaves and dumb down the children so they can not think for themselves and escape the tyranny of George county.
Anon,
you wrote "The public school system is a scam....etc."

You're such a wonderful writer, I cannot contain my curiosity to know if you were home schooled or went to a public school? Maybe perhaps a private school. As I ask this question I'm leaning toward a private school. Then maybe a public college. Inquiring minds want to know.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1832 Nov 9, 2012
Just curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Anon,
you wrote "The public school system is a scam....etc."
You're such a wonderful writer, I cannot contain my curiosity to know if you were home schooled or went to a public school? Maybe perhaps a private school. As I ask this question I'm leaning toward a private school. Then maybe a public college. Inquiring minds want to know.
I am a life long learner that does not proof read what I put on the web so it has many errors. You are pulling my leg if you call my writing wonderful. If not you have no discriminating judgement. I am the product of many types of education including all that you mention as well as one line and foreign experiences. One size does not fit all.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1833 Nov 9, 2012
Just to open another line of thinking, one size does not fit all. Not everyone thinks in language.

Children are all creative geniuses but as they go through public school by the time they enter graduate school only 2% have that creative ability. They are conditioned not to be creative by the system. The system uses Skinner/Pavlov reward punishment tools to kill thinking outside the box. A young child absorbs experiences and information like a sponge. As they are brow beat to memorizing rules and contrived ways of doing things they give up being creative.

My ideas flow from mind pictures not words. I have to translate the pictures into words then into spelling then into grammar rules and then into some form that keeps people interested and last to inspire.

On the web I rather put the pictures into words run a spell check and publish. I am not getting paid to polish my words. I want to transmit ideas to think about. At least I have got someone using a skill of analyzing the structure of what I write now only if you would think about what the words mean.
Hollah Sheet

Millington, TN

#1834 Nov 9, 2012
nuff said wrote:
Guess its alright for the lawyer not to salute the flag. Our president doesn't!!!! Have you seen the pictures with everyone else having hands over hearts when the pledge was being made? Not O'Bama, he holds his hands over his crotch, guess that is why it is being referred to as a "crotch salute". Disgusting piece of work!!!
You are so full of crap
Brittany

Ocean Springs, MS

#1835 Nov 9, 2012
I know...
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1836 Nov 10, 2012
"You are so full of crap "
==========
When is tradition a poor use of time?

Why do people go through the actions? Is acting a meaningless gesture?
Human Being

Sumrall, MS

#1837 Nov 10, 2012
I'm not PLEDGING my ALLEGIANCE to anything but MY GOD!
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1838 Nov 11, 2012
Human Being wrote:
I'm not PLEDGING my ALLEGIANCE to anything but MY GOD!
So why would you do that to a imaginary invisible guy?
Joe here

Sumrall, MS

#1839 Nov 11, 2012
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
So why would you do that to a imaginary invisible guy?
I said " MY GOD"

You don't even know what, who,..... " my " God is. So..... How do you know? MY God might be me, or the sound of rain on a tin roof. Both those are real?

MY GOD as "I" understand "God" to be is real FOR " me".

Pay attention to HOW post reads.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1840 Nov 12, 2012
"MY GOD as "I" understand "God" to be is real FOR " me". "
==========
Reality has to be verified by more than you. Rain can be measured God can not, that makes rain real and God imaginary. What you are describing is not the reality but your personal perception.
Human Being

Sumrall, MS

#1841 Nov 12, 2012
One thing is for sure- the FLAG is not MY GOD.

Nuff said. I respect what it stands for. I respect what the Bible stands for. I respect my birth certificate, but I'm not gonna pledge my ALLEGIENCE to any of those "things".
Human Being

Sumrall, MS

#1842 Nov 12, 2012
Just as we have a right/privilege TO vote, we have the same NOT to!

Just as we are banned from prayer, no one should
Be FORCED to recite words to an IDOL of cloth/colors/ symbols.
Yeshi Gemaneh

Oakland, CA

#1843 Nov 16, 2012
I think to be free from wrong doing many components are essential. Children were born innocent not knowing bad or good. Everything being learned in latter years. Parents are number one in erecting their lives. At young age they should be told and guided on every steps. Second, the environment or surrounding is another important factor. Young and clean mind would be easily susceptible to positive or negative outcome. Thirdly, school is the most important place for child's life as well. So, a person is a result of well balanced society; for a better result - neighborhood, family, church participants and every individual should contribute a little each for a better tomorrow on youth's life. I know to say it is easy, but to implement is not so easy. Effort, coordination and cooperation would help.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1844 Nov 16, 2012
"I know to say it is easy, but to implement is not so easy. Effort, coordination and cooperation would help. "
==========
60% of the children are born to a single parent in Tupelo that do not accept the responsibility of being a parent. Many single as well as married parents have no morals or ethics themselves regardless if they believe in God or not..

“Simple educated country woman”

Since: Dec 11

America

#1847 Dec 9, 2012
anon wrote:
"I know to say it is easy, but to implement is not so easy. Effort, coordination and cooperation would help. "
==========
60% of the children are born to a single parent in Tupelo that do not accept the responsibility of being a parent. Many single as well as married parents have no morals or ethics themselves regardless if they believe in God or not..
Accepting the responsibility of being a parent is one thing. Whose morals and whose ethics? If I believe that I should treat all other human beings as I wish to be treated is that enough of a moral mind or will you wish to put stipulations upon that frame of reference?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gulfport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former mayoral candidate arrested 6 hr Old tyme 6
Jackson County supervisor fights for money to f... (Mar '09) Aug 31 Ed Harper 7
Bay St. Louis leaders look back nine years to K... Aug 30 coast person 1
Justin Mitchell/Sun Herald BB's Barbeque and Sn... Aug 29 Tracey 1
Jones Park in Gulfport becoming one popular place Aug 28 Harry 1
New harbormaster for Ocean Springs? Aug 28 O S BOB 22
Bay St. Louis residents brace for tax hike Aug 28 downsouth 4
•••
•••
•••