Baldwin County schools see growth of 1,200 students; Gulf Shores, Foley have biggest gains

Oct 5, 2012 Full story: Alabama Live 6

Gulf Shores High had the biggest growth in student enrollment in Baldwin County this year, up 16 percent to 870 students.

Full Story
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#1 Oct 5, 2012
Here we go again! Pretty soon, if not already, teachers, parents, the school union, the Board of Education and the School Administration will add this increased enrollment to their long list of bogus arguments as to why, we taxpayers should vote on November 6th to extend the 1%(NOT ONE PENNY) Baldwin County Sales Tax Increase--INDEFINITELY. Keep in mind that if enrollment numbers are up so are the number of property taxed homes that are already supporting that increase in enrollment and lots of those homes do not have children in the public schools. The schools have plenty of money already and if they can't manage it properly, then they should not be coming back to the tax payers for more. VOTE "NO" TO THE BALDWIN COUNTY 1% INCREASED SALES TAX ON NOVEMBER 6TH. Just think about how much you spend in Baldwin County purchasing everything, including food, for an entire year and then multiply that by 1%. You will find that this 1% increase in the Baldwin County Sales Tax is costing you hundreds of dollars each year--if not more. Go to the voting booth and vote this increase down.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#2 Oct 6, 2012
This is a date I won't forget ! " VOTE NO "
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#3 Oct 6, 2012
Give Me a Break wrote:
Here we go again! Pretty soon, if not already, teachers, parents, the school union, the Board of Education and the School Administration will add this increased enrollment to their long list of bogus arguments as to why, we taxpayers should vote on November 6th to extend the 1%(NOT ONE PENNY) Baldwin County Sales Tax Increase--INDEFINITELY. Keep in mind that if enrollment numbers are up so are the number of property taxed homes that are already supporting that increase in enrollment and lots of those homes do not have children in the public schools..
The argument that some homes don't have children in school or their children are grown and gone is a mute point. We went to school on the generations before us and our kids were educated by money from all property owners and the next generation will be too. What would you like,everybody pay their own way to private schools? Don't have the money,stay home? I don't guess out of towners should drive on your roads either.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#4 Oct 6, 2012
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text> The argument that some homes don't have children in school or their children are grown and gone is a mute point. We went to school on the generations before us and our kids were educated by money from all property owners and the next generation will be too. What would you like,everybody pay their own way to private schools? Don't have the money,stay home? I don't guess out of towners should drive on your roads either.
I'm talking about the added 1% sales tax and am not talking about the basic sales tax. The reference to those who do not have children in school was meant to point out that they are already paying their fair share to educate children and that they, like others, should not be burdened with this additional sales tax to support an inefficient school system when it comes to budgeting.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#5 Oct 6, 2012
Give Me a Break wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm talking about the added 1% sales tax and am not talking about the basic sales tax. The reference to those who do not have children in school was meant to point out that they are already paying their fair share to educate children and that they, like others, should not be burdened with this additional sales tax to support an inefficient school system when it comes to budgeting.
Has the "against group" obtained copies(public records) of the line by line expenditures of the school system? They can say there's plenty of money but someone needs to pinpoint the shortage reality without resorting to guesses or half truths. Also the school system needs a business manager not tied to the local educators,their friends,contractors,any anyone that is on the payables sheets. Huntsville did it,it made the good ole boys mad even though the system was drowning in red ink. The new guy cut unnecessary jobs, put purchasing on a business basis,and closed underused schools. It pizzed off a lot of people but it's a business and has to run as such. Does the system have a strong no nonsense person handling the purse strings?
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#7 Oct 7, 2012
If it walks like a duck and quack like a duck---etc. Well, there have been articles after articles over the last 3-years in the local County papers and others pointing out one wasteful expenditure after another. I really wish someone would post specifics for those who have doubts but most people can't understand spreadsheets and don't really know if an expenditure is worthwhile or not unless someone like yourself can point out why it is a waste of money. I have pointed out--over the years on several occasions items that I read about that were reported that showed that the 1% increase in the Baldwin Sales Tax was being spent on unnecessary items. Sorry, I have not kept a record of these things which you might expect me to have done. Nevertheless, you are right and I recently read that some Board of Education actually hired a School Superintendent with a strong business background because run-away costs in that school system were getting out of hand and the education was not improving and they needed someone other than a former Social Studies teachers who smoozed the powers that be into being promoted to his level of incompetency.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gulf Shores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 9 hr even_stephens 101
Summerdale Contractor In Jail For Fraudulent Deals (Sep '06) Jan 23 alsoconcerned 53
Lou Holtz - Speaks the Truth Jan 23 Iamangttia 9
Tuff Little Lady Jan 23 FastFred 1
Hobby Lobby closing Old Monrovia Road store, pl... Jan 22 Wyatt 21
Robert E. Lee Day Jan 19 JCJ 3
City of Foley buys 89 acres at Blue Collar Coun... Jan 18 Iamangttia 1
Gulf Shores Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Gulf Shores People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:54 pm PST

Bleacher Report 3:54PM
2015 Falcons Draft Pick Profile: WR Phillip Dorsett
Bleacher Report 8:55 PM
Falcons Potential Draft Pick: LB Denzel Perryman
NBC Sports 3:41 AM
Mickey Loomis: Saints letting Junior Galette case run its course before taking any action
NBC Sports 5:04 AM
Saints players shocked by team's ownership squabble
NBC Sports 7:42 AM
Jimmy Graham: Pro Bowl will help dictate if he needs surgery