gulf shores beaches
ikare

United States

#1 Jul 27, 2012
Beaches and water were terrible yesterday. Water was almost black with algae. Any idea how long it will be like this??
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#2 Jul 27, 2012
ikare wrote:
Beaches and water were terrible yesterday. Water was almost black with algae. Any idea how long it will be like this??
Yea, you just picked a bad day. Come back on another day and everything will be just fine. This is a situation that exists with every beach in the world or haven't you heard? You pays your money and you takes your chances. Next year go skiing in Colorado and if they don't have any snow when you are there that will give you another chance to question when the next snow will come. Life is a Bitch and then you Die.
ikare

Beaumont, TX

#3 Jul 30, 2012
Give Me a Break wrote:
<quoted text>Yea, you just picked a bad day. Come back on another day and everything will be just fine. This is a situation that exists with every beach in the world or haven't you heard? You pays your money and you takes your chances. Next year go skiing in Colorado and if they don't have any snow when you are there that will give you another chance to question when the next snow will come. Life is a Bitch and then you Die.
do you stalk topix just to brighten you dull little life. I've read you comments on many post and you never have anything good to say. My question was directed to a real local, not a northern know it all
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#4 Jul 30, 2012
It's because I'm a Northern that I do know it all. Anyone who has ever been to the beach more than a half-dozen times in their life would know that it is not unheard of to have seaweed, jelly fish, storms, algae, dead fish, etc. from time to time at the beach. It's always been that way and always will be. That is why I was surprised to hear an adult be so surprised about algae on the beach. You don't have to be a 'real local' to be aware of normal occurrences.
motherof3

Rusk, TX

#5 Jul 30, 2012
We are coming to Gulf Shores this weekend. How are the jellyfish this year?
ikare

Oxford, OH

#6 Jul 30, 2012
I haven't seen a lot of jellyfish but the water is terrible. We've been here 5 days and the algae/seaweed is awful. On the bright sight if you like fishing the redfish are biting everything. Everyone here, even us tourists are catching lots of them.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#7 Jul 30, 2012
ikare wrote:
I haven't seen a lot of jellyfish but the water is terrible. We've been here 5 days and the algae/seaweed is awful. On the bright sight if you like fishing the redfish are biting everything. Everyone here, even us tourists are catching lots of them.
I'm glad you found something that made your stay enjoyable. Hopefully, if you decide to return next year, you will find the beach and the water perfect--which it is 99% of the time.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#8 Jul 30, 2012
motherof3 wrote:
We are coming to Gulf Shores this weekend. How are the jellyfish this year?
We had a run of jellyfish earlier in the season but I haven't heard any reports of a problem right now. If anyone wants to avoid the possibility of problems in the water or on the beach anywhere then I would suggest that they put a pool in their backyard which they can control. Of course, you would then have to sacrifice the pleasures of a beautiful sandy beach, rolling ocean waves and beautiful sunbathers--all of which the Gulf Coast offers in abundance that a backyard pool doesn't.
motherof3

United States

#9 Jul 30, 2012
Give Me a Break wrote:
<quoted text>We had a run of jellyfish earlier in the season but I haven't heard any reports of a problem right now. If anyone wants to avoid the possibility of problems in the water or on the beach anywhere then I would suggest that they put a pool in their backyard which they can control. Of course, you would then have to sacrifice the pleasures of a beautiful sandy beach, rolling ocean waves and beautiful sunbathers--all of which the Gulf Coast offers in abundance that a backyard pool doesn't.
We come every year whether the conditions are perfect or not. I was just wanting to know about THIS year.
motherof3

United States

#10 Jul 30, 2012
ikare wrote:
I haven't seen a lot of jellyfish but the water is terrible. We've been here 5 days and the algae/seaweed is awful. On the bright sight if you like fishing the redfish are biting everything. Everyone here, even us tourists are catching lots of them.
Thank you I appreciate the information. Hope the rest of your vacation is a good one.:)
Been There

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Jul 31, 2012
ikare wrote:
Beaches and water were terrible yesterday. Water was almost black with algae. Any idea how long it will be like this??
We were there in the middle of June and it was the same.
beachgoer

Nashville, IN

#12 Aug 5, 2012
What's with all the dead fish on the beach? There are hundreds of them.
amy

Danville, KY

#13 Aug 13, 2012
We were there last year and could not enjoy the beach for all the dead fish. Our swimsuits were stained with a yellow color that will not come out.There were so many dead fish at the gulf park pavillion they were scooping them up with a bulldozer, hate to hear thngs havent changed much.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#14 Aug 13, 2012
amy wrote:
We were there last year and could not enjoy the beach for all the dead fish. Our swimsuits were stained with a yellow color that will not come out.There were so many dead fish at the gulf park pavillion they were scooping them up with a bulldozer, hate to hear thngs havent changed much.
May I suggest that you take your next vacation somewhere else. We locals don't need people filling-up the beaches--we need out-of-towners spending their money in our restaurants and retail shops and we can do without all of the traffic that unhappy vacationers cause. We have enough happy vacationers who usually find the beach and water the best they have ever experienced so we don't need the nea-sayers.
TheTruth

Dawsonville, GA

#15 Aug 13, 2012
Very well said my Yankee friend. Your fine area would be even nicer without the complainers. Now if we could just change your political views........ LOL.
Give Me a Break wrote:
<quoted text>
May I suggest that you take your next vacation somewhere else. We locals don't need people filling-up the beaches--we need out-of-towners spending their money in our restaurants and retail shops and we can do without all of the traffic that unhappy vacationers cause. We have enough happy vacationers who usually find the beach and water the best they have ever experienced so we don't need the nea-sayers.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#16 Aug 13, 2012
"Now if we could just change your political views........ LOL"

Well, there has to be one opposing political view in the entire State of Alabama and maybe I'm it. If Obama is dumb enough to spend one dime campaigning in Alabama, I just might vote for Romney because with all of the racists and Baptists down here, he won't get another vote in Alabama except mine and he should already know it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gulf Shores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kendrick Lamar interrupts white fan for rapping... May 21 Nurddy 1
help for SPRINGBREAK any nude beaches (Jan '12) May 20 Eaton Beavers 7
Perdido Dunes May 17 seaside 1
homewreckers May 13 ThomasA 12
ISO Best Seafood Dining in Gulf Shores May 12 Joker Joe 5
list of places to rent in orange beach or gulf ... (Aug '15) May 11 junkyarddog 13
Who else can't stand Jeff Sessions? May 6 Mark 6

Gulf Shores Jobs

Personal Finance

Gulf Shores Mortgages