Summer Trace Apartments: The Truth

Posted in the Gulf Shores Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WARNING

Foley, AL

#1 Oct 1, 2016
Over half a decade ago I moved into a beautiful, quaint apartment community in Gulf Shores that had wonderful amenities, caring office staff, competent and hardworking maintenance and reasonable rental rates - at least reasonable for a Gulf Shores apartment.

I was very happy. The management did a great job of addressing residents concerns, maintenance was on-site and rarely did a maintenance request go more than 1-2 days without being addressed and corrected. The grounds were beautifully manicured, staff screened prospective incoming tenants and filtered out the undesirables as mush as the law allow.

And then the property sold. New owners took over and replaced the great management with a revolving door that paraded a constant stream of incompetent "office managers" who know how to do one thing well: Lie. They will lie about anything and everything to get prospective tenants to sign the lease. My rent went from a very reasonable mid-$800/month to just under $1000.00/month while at the same time all but eliminating any and all maintenance. The new owners replaced the very knowledgeable on-site maintenance with another rotating door of otherwise-unemployable illiterates who seem to need an instruction manual and a twelve-week lead time to literally replace a light bulb. That is no exaggeration... We turned in no less than five work orders over a three month period to get simple breezeway lights fixed. Each time we were told by the office liars "we will get right on it..." week after week, month after month. Our family moved two weeks ago, the breezeway lights were still burned out and the current sorry excuse for maintenance was still just walking around the property like he was lost.

When we moved out, a few weeks ago the dishwasher was on it's fifth month of not working in spite of a dozen work orders requesting repair.

The living room ceiling fan had stopped working, and after 3-4 work order requests over a two month period a "maintenance man" came to look at it. And that's what he did: He looked at it. Dumbfounded. After flipping the wall switch and pulling the chain multiple times he concluded the fan was indeed broke just like my multiple work orders had stated. He said he would have to order another one and he would get back to us... so I took the opportunity to ask if while he was ordering the fan, could he please order a new dishwasher since ours had been inoperable for several months? No, he said... I WOULD HAVE TO PUT IN A WORK ORDER. Just like the previous dozen I had submitted.

The exterminator service that the previous owners used came fairly often and spent a fair amount of time in the unit doing their job. And it worked as we rarely saw any undesirable creatures. The new owners apparently figured they should skimp on that service and the "new" exterminator began showing up for approximately one minute every three months to the great delight of cockroaches and silverfish that began invading the properties unimpeded.

I could spend hours detailing what a nightmare Summer Trace Apartments has become, but I'll leave it up to you to either heed or ignore my warning.

If you decide to look into renting at Summer Trace, I highly recommend you tour the property alone... without a "front office liar" who will fill your head with a bunch of crap about how wonderful the property, property management and maintenance is. It's all lies, but you won't know it until they've conned you into signing a lease... after which time these Summer Trace cons will spring all the previously-unmentioned charges on you, too late to do anything about bc you've already signed your life away and Alabama law always takes the side of the landlord and leaves the tenant hanging out to dry. Spend a bit of time talking to current residents about their experiences since the new owners took over, removed services and jacked the rent up to unreasonable rates.

You've been warned.
Its pathetic

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Oct 3, 2016
Amen! I still live at Summertrace and boy are you right! Since the new owners took over the property is has been in a steady downward spiral! What was the reason the new owners had to get rid of the maintenance that had been here for years and did a wonderful job? And about the constant lies, lies, lies and lies! Yes that's all the new "office manager" does is LIE about EVERY complaint and maintenance issue.
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AN APARTMENT IN GULF SHORES STAY AWAY FROM SUMMERTRACE APARTMENTS!!!
pebbles

Cedar Rapids, IA

#3 Oct 3, 2016
the new ownership turned the place into a toilet. they dont give a rats ass about their tenants anymore and i got sick of the lies. they lie so much they forget which lies they told which tenant.
pebbles

Cedar Rapids, IA

#4 Oct 3, 2016
need to hire a full time lie management team just to keep their lies straight but they would use that as another excuse to increase rent another two hundred bucks again. moved from there in august. the place f'ing sucks now.
Jeanne

Cedar Rapids, IA

#5 Oct 6, 2016
Is that the one behind Rouses?
Truth

Ridgecrest, CA

#6 Oct 30, 2016
Kudos to the first post! You correctly hit the nails on every head! If you GOOGLE the reviews of this place, it's quite evident that this complex is headed straight to shi#%=&. When Balfour took over, they refuse to have any management on site, so residents pretty much fend for themselves. And the lying from management is 100% correct. You never get a straight honest answer EVER. EVER. Like mentioned above, work orders are never addressed, you never get follow up, and communication is ZILCH! Appliances are old, worn out, and still not replaced. Amenities are nonexistent. Ground maint is nonexistent. Pest control is nonexistent. Pool care is now nonexistent bc they didn't pay the pool company. She has lies or excuses ready whenever you try to address any issue with her....whatever it takes to get you out of the office. Drive thru and ask residents how this community is taken care of. We did that before we came here and the old company had the property and it was so nice. No one had a bad thing to say and most were very positive, and that's why we moved here. If someone stopped and asked me, or pretty much anyone who now lives here, you'd get very different responses, none good or positive. ASK A RESIDENT!!

There is no screening process anymore and I'm sure many residents have rap sheets a mile long or have had their pictures hung in a post office somewhere. There are and have been drug dealers, prostitutes from Russia, Mex that had warrants for their arrest for drug dealing, molestation, sex trafficking......and background checks would have weeded many of these roaches out. They let anything move in here. The police are here once a week for some sort of craziness, and Balfour looks the other way. You don't feel safe in your own home. Management has been made aware of this from so many residents 100 times, but they blow off resident safety issues. They blow off all issues. They don't care about any residents, just dollars. Summer Trace is getting a really crappy reputation around here and I'm embarrassed to tell anyone where I live. It's pretty near Section 8. Look up the many negative reviews on internet AND BELIEVE THEM!

You've been warned again.
JayJay

Cedar Rapids, IA

#7 Nov 7, 2016
Jeanne wrote:
Is that the one behind Rouses?
Yes
JLP

Atlanta, GA

#8 Nov 14, 2016
It's sad to hear the place has gone downhill. I lived at Summertrace for several years until moving in 2013, at that time the property was always very well kept and the management was excellent. Dennis the maintenance man was always on top of things!
Coontrace

Foley, AL

#9 Nov 17, 2016
i have friends that live there. they said a lot of filthy blacks are moving in. the place is doomed. get ready for burglaries, drug deals in the parking lot and obnoxious loud coon chatter.
Rat Hole

Ridgecrest, CA

#10 Nov 22, 2016
There were already drug deals going on with the dealers in the lower section and also the apt full of Mexicans. A few were arrested and removed for sex and drug trafficking and molestation. Proper background checks would have flagged this. But obviously none were done. When I moved here, there was a waiting list a mile long to get in. Now that Balfour Beatty bought the property, it's become a dump and the good people have had it and are packing up and bolting. 3 different families moved out last week and there are several vacancies. That's because people won't pay high rent for a complex zooming downhill and a property company not smart enough to see that resident safety is important and Balfour DOES NOT CARE ABOUT RESIDENTS. And the property manager is totally incompetent. Instead of enlisting and addressing safety concerns and patrols, they are more concerned with the $$ they are losing on empty apartments. You'd think some Balfour idiot would realize that you can't easily rent apartment homes when your complex reputation is sh#%!!! And has been sh#% for as long as you've owned it!! Still nothing is being done to improve it. No management on site or maint on sight like all the professionally managed properties are. You can easily find a much better managed complex in or around Gulf Shores than this one is. Be patient and keep looking. You don't want to settle for this rathole. What a huge disappointment this place is. For everyone. It's a shame it's turned out like this for the good residents that are left. But Balfour refuses to address or change a thing for the better. Don't believe the WE STRIVE FOR FIVE bs. They STRIVE FOR ONE is more like it.
GSA

Foley, AL

#11 Dec 1, 2016
Yes, the good residents are all packing up and getting the hell out of Dodge. Thanks for that, Balfour.

Summer Trace used to be such a nice community but the incompetent Balfour folks think that people will stick around paying their unjustifiable rent increases while they let loud, obnoxious, filthy,(and largely criminal) welfare trash move in while they as property managers provide next to nothing as far as maintenance. Oh how I miss the good old days when one could be proud to say you lived at Summertrace; but now it's become a mark of shame, it's actually embarrassing to say you live in Gulf Shores' newly-created ghetto. It doesn't take long for word to spread.

Fortunately the City of Gulf Shores is not happy with Balfour either. Gulf Shores has long prided itself on being everything that Balfour is not, and it is my understanding that the city has received several complaints over the past few months and the complex is at this point just shy of being declared a "nuisance property" against whom fines will be levelled. These fines will become public record and then prospective tenants won't have to look to Topix or Facebook reviews to learn the truth about what a dump Balfour turned the place into.
Rat Hole

Ridgecrest, CA

#14 Dec 13, 2016
GSA wrote:
Yes, the good residents are all packing up and getting the hell out of Dodge. Thanks for that, Balfour.

Summer Trace used to be such a nice community but the incompetent Balfour folks think that people will stick around paying their unjustifiable rent increases while they let loud, obnoxious, filthy,(and largely criminal) welfare trash move in while they as property managers provide next to nothing as far as maintenance. Oh how I miss the good old days when one could be proud to say you lived at Summertrace; but now it's become a mark of shame, it's actually embarrassing to say you live in Gulf Shores' newly-created ghetto. It doesn't take long for word to spread.

Fortunately the City of Gulf Shores is not happy with Balfour either. Gulf Shores has long prided itself on being everything that Balfour is not, and it is my understanding that the city has received several complaints over the past few months and the complex is at this point just shy of being declared a "nuisance property" against whom fines will be levelled. These fines will become public record and then prospective tenants won't have to look to Topix or Facebook reviews to learn the truth about what a dump Balfour turned the place into.
If thats true, maybe Summer Trace will be held accountable and forced to make changes for the better. Theres been no gym for 6-7 months & whenever they decide to get one, the trash and their brats will be right back in there destroying that one, too. Simple security systems like the truly professionally run (Balfour is far from professional) complexes have would deter a good bit of that trouble, but Balfour isnt about to put a dime into the property unless its forced to. Slumlords is what they are. Read up on other Balfour properties and youll see complaints that are very similar to the ones that have been here all summer long and since they took over. Buildings missing siding, no background checks done, poor grounds management, high staff turnover, lying employees, maintenance not being taken care of...you name it, theres been several complaints about it on all of their properties. And absolutely nothing is being done, or looks like will be done, by Balfour Beatty.
I hope Gulf Shores gets a handle on this sooner rather than later.
j009dd4

Cedar Rapids, IA

#15 Dec 15, 2016
Rat Hole wrote:
<quoted text>If thats true, maybe Summer Trace will be held accountable and forced to make changes for the better. Theres been no gym for 6-7 months & whenever they decide to get one, the trash and their brats will be right back in there destroying that one, too. Simple security systems like the truly professionally run (Balfour is far from professional) complexes have would deter a good bit of that trouble, but Balfour isnt about to put a dime into the property unless its forced to. Slumlords is what they are. Read up on other Balfour properties and youll see complaints that are very similar to the ones that have been here all summer long and since they took over. Buildings missing siding, no background checks done, poor grounds management, high staff turnover, lying employees, maintenance not being taken care of...you name it, theres been several complaints about it on all of their properties. And absolutely nothing is being done, or looks like will be done, by Balfour Beatty.
I hope Gulf Shores gets a handle on this sooner rather than later.
oh they aint gonna pay for no security or security cameras. they are way to cheap. their goal is to charge as much as possible and pay as little as possible. they could care less about the residents just look at their other properties. once they drive out all the good quality residents they just open it up to section 8 welfare residents.after all that's where the moneys at. balfour is nothing but slumlords. they have bought and destroyed dozens and dozens of nice properties. just do some research on them.they buy properties jack up the rents while providing next to no basic services like property mainetenace they only pay for the cheapest lawn care and landscapers they can find. they wont give discounts or residence to on-site maintenance so they place can get proper maintenance care like the old owners did when the place looked beautiful and the maintenance was well taken care of . if u dont believe me just take a look at summer trace now and what it looked like two years ago. it's a disgrace. an embarrassment. if i was that wannabe manager bitch id be ashamed to know what the residents think of her and the company she works for but she probably doesnt give a shit. balfour is scum just like there employees. say hello to gulf shores newest welfare projects because that's what summertrace is become. trash. I went to last months city council meeting with a loundry list of complaints and photos. they made it clear they are not happy and will be paying close attention to complaints from residents of summer trace so if you are one of the non-welfare trash residents contact the city with your complaints because they are not happy
Summerslum

Foley, AL

#16 Dec 27, 2016
I noticed several Gulf Shores police officers crawling the property several days ago before they apprehended two of the local scumbag kids who had been sneaking around with bags, flashlights and walkie-talkies again. I wonder if these are the same kids who have been breaking into cars here? I know one of the kids was wearing a camo jacket and lives in building 2 or 3, I'm not sure who the other kid is but I see the little punk on the property all the time. I'm pretty sure these are the same kids the police caught a few weeks ago with a bag full of knives, daggers, sword-type blades and a machete.

How nice it would be nice if the management gave enough of a shit about the residents of Summertrace to hire even a single security guard to patrol the property and at least attempt to prevent the ghetto trash from further victimizing those that live here and actually work for their money - unlike an ever-growing population of tenants here who live on the welfare dollars taken from my hard-earned paycheck.(Yes, that's those obnoxious blacks, mexicans and fat food-stamp mooching white trash that have recently begun invading our once-nice community.)

But we all know Balfour doesn't care about what happens here as long as they keep collecting rent. The good residents can leave and as long as some trashy welfare scum with HUD or Section 8 wants to move in, they're fine with it.

I'm sure I'm not the only resident who misses the days when Summertrace was a tight-knit living community where prospective incoming tenants were screened and background checks were performed to filter out the scum, and when they actually enforced the clause in the lease about people moving in with you that are not on the lease... like the white punk drug dealing "wigger" in building 2 that drives the white fake ex-cop car and gray Dodge Charger.

But unfortunately Balfour doesn't give a shit and from what I've heard, residents get retaliated against if they complain about things to the front office.
Drowning

United States

#17 Jan 3, 2017
How nice to find this....it's good to see I'm not alone here. Here's the latest...so on New Year's day we had a very heavy rain that flooded the parking lot around our garage with over 18" of water in some places because the drain is clogged up.....something that seems to happen fairly regularly. Note this happened on New Year's day and of course management and maintenance are off-site leaving the residents of Summertrace to deal with this flooded lot for three days...so far 2 cars stalled in it and had to be pushed out....Nobody to call, nothing to do but leave a voicemail at the office that won't be received until Tuesday (according to the sign on the office door) but as of 9:30 Tuesday morning the office was still empty.....Figures. This is getting absurd.
fuqbalfour

Foley, AL

#18 Jan 3, 2017
Drowning wrote:
How nice to find this....it's good to see I'm not alone here. Here's the latest...so on New Year's day we had a very heavy rain that flooded the parking lot around our garage with over 18" of water in some places because the drain is clogged up.....something that seems to happen fairly regularly. Note this happened on New Year's day and of course management and maintenance are off-site leaving the residents of Summertrace to deal with this flooded lot for three days...so far 2 cars stalled in it and had to be pushed out....Nobody to call, nothing to do but leave a voicemail at the office that won't be received until Tuesday (according to the sign on the office door) but as of 9:30 Tuesday morning the office was still empty.....Figures. This is getting absurd.
my car is one of them that stranded in water trying to pull out of my parking place in a foot of water i had to call my brother to help push me out and get my car started again and i know of at least three others so way more than two cars have gotten stuckin the flooded parking lot. i called the city about it and they said since its porivate property i had to contact the managers to fix the drain but theres not anyone here on weekends and three day holiday weekends this place suuuuucckkss fu summertrace
RatHole

Ridgecrest, CA

#19 Jan 4, 2017
Summerslum wrote:
I noticed several Gulf Shores police officers crawling the property several days ago before they apprehended two of the local scumbag kids who had been sneaking around with bags, flashlights and walkie-talkies again. I wonder if these are the same kids who have been breaking into cars here? I know one of the kids was wearing a camo jacket and lives in building 2 or 3, I'm not sure who the other kid is but I see the little punk on the property all the time. I'm pretty sure these are the same kids the police caught a few weeks ago with a bag full of knives, daggers, sword-type blades and a machete.

How nice it would be nice if the management gave enough of a shit about the residents of Summertrace to hire even a single security guard to patrol the property and at least attempt to prevent the ghetto trash from further victimizing those that live here and actually work for their money - unlike an ever-growing population of tenants here who live on the welfare dollars taken from my hard-earned paycheck.(Yes, that's those obnoxious blacks, mexicans and fat food-stamp mooching white trash that have recently begun invading our once-nice community.)

But we all know Balfour doesn't care about what happens here as long as they keep collecting rent. The good residents can leave and as long as some trashy welfare scum with HUD or Section 8 wants to move in, they're fine with it.

I'm sure I'm not the only resident who misses the days when Summertrace was a tight-knit living community where prospective incoming tenants were screened and background checks were performed to filter out the scum, and when they actually enforced the clause in the lease about people moving in with you that are not on the lease... like the white punk drug dealing "wigger" in building 2 that drives the white fake ex-cop car and gray Dodge Charger.

But unfortunately Balfour doesn't give a shit and from what I've heard, residents get retaliated against if they complain about things to the front office.
No, you aren't the only one to miss the good old days before Balfour Beatty took it over. The place is trash now, and they know it but refuse to do anything about it. Resident safety is something else they could care less about. It was suggested several times that a patrol or security officer may help with the criminal element that proliferates around here since the new company bought this property almost a year ago. The ignoramus that sits in the office and is utterly useless. Her standard response to any issue is 'my hands are tied. It has to go through corporate. I'm so confused...'.

They did finally get nice new gym equipment, but gym hasn't been cleaned or painted, so it looks like Hell still, but so does the office building and property as a whole. The equipment won't be useable in another 3 months anyway.....the trash they've allowed to move in here will take care of that soon. Then it'll be another 10 months before it's safe & useable again. One single working camera or at least changing the code every few months might deter these punks from destroying the workout room. The whole building is smelly and nasty and gross, thanks to them letting the fantastic cleaning lady go. There are now several units vacant, and before Balfour bought it, there was always a waiting list to get in here. Word has obviously gotten around quickly that this is now a slum. Manager says there are so many units empty because this is a depressed area. NO, this is a depressed property!! Thanks to you and the incompetence of management, corporate, and maintenance staff.

That crazy kid lives in building 2 and is a menace that has been reported, but nothing is ever done. The chick that drives the Hummer w the wild 2 kids sells pot to other residents while manager babysits the brats. The kids run all the complex barefoot and shirtless when it's 50 degrees. I'm embarrassed to let anyone know where I live. Has the reputation of being a rough place.
screwed by bal4

Foley, AL

#20 Jan 7, 2017
RatHole wrote:
<quoted text>

No, you aren't the only one to miss the good old days before Balfour Beatty took it over. The place is trash now, and they know it but refuse to do anything about it. Resident safety is something else they could care less about. It was suggested several times that a patrol or security officer may help with the criminal element that proliferates around here since the new company bought this property almost a year ago. The ignoramus that sits in the office and is utterly useless. Her standard response to any issue is 'my hands are tied. It has to go through corporate. I'm so confused...'.

They did finally get nice new gym equipment, but gym hasn't been cleaned or painted, so it looks like Hell still, but so does the office building and property as a whole. The equipment won't be useable in another 3 months anyway.....the trash they've allowed to move in here will take care of that soon. Then it'll be another 10 months before it's safe & useable again. One single working camera or at least changing the code every few months might deter these punks from destroying the workout room. The whole building is smelly and nasty and gross, thanks to them letting the fantastic cleaning lady go. There are now several units vacant, and before Balfour bought it, there was always a waiting list to get in here. Word has obviously gotten around quickly that this is now a slum. Manager says there are so many units empty because this is a depressed area. NO, this is a depressed property!! Thanks to you and the incompetence of management, corporate, and maintenance staff.

That crazy kid lives in building 2 and is a menace that has been reported, but nothing is ever done. The chick that drives the Hummer w the wild 2 kids sells pot to other residents while manager babysits the brats. The kids run all the complex barefoot and shirtless when it's 50 degrees. I'm embarrassed to let anyone know where I live. Has the reputation of being a rough place.
ohhh i so cant wait until our lease is up here.a few more months and i can move somewhere nice like summer trace used to be before this pos slumlord company took over and destroyed it.
last year my husband and i signed the 5th lease here even though they raised the rent bc that lying bitch jeanne in the office told all kinds of lies about how so much was going to be done to improve everything here but it was all just lies they have done exactly the opposite and let this place go to shit got rid of the on site managers and maintenance instead hired some halfwit creeps who all live a hour away and you cant get hold of anybody.
and yes summer trace always had a waiting list we waited 5 months to get our apartment here in 2011 bc of people wanting an apartment here bc they were nice places and the property was so well taken care of but not any more there are empty apartments because the word is getting out how the new managers just dont care and since they raised rent these places are not worth close to what they are asking if anything these fools should have dropped the rent but they dont understand to raise rent you have to offer something more than lies.
im sure to tell everyone i know how the new owners ruined this place.
Thank You

United States

#21 Jan 7, 2017
Thank you guys for the warning! I came across this website while doing apartment research for GS. Last night we were discussing going to the Summertrace rental office Monday morning to look into availabilities based solely on the Summertrace Apartments website and how nice they make the apartments look. It's really sad when things like this happen.😟
Truth

Ridgecrest, CA

#22 Jan 7, 2017
Thank You wrote:
Thank you guys for the warning! I came across this website while doing apartment research for GS. Last night we were discussing going to the Summertrace rental office Monday morning to look into availabilities based solely on the Summertrace Apartments website and how nice they make the apartments look. It's really sad when things like this happen.😟
Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere. Don't even consider Summer Trace. Or any Balfour property. It will be a waste of your time. Manager will tell you all kinds of great things about the complex, none of which are true or will ever happen. Some of the pics on the website arent even of this property. Check the reviews on apartmentratings.com , I think. Nothing good unless the staff posted it. It IS a huge shame & huge disappointment that this unprofessional "management company" has flushed this once safe & pristine property right down the sh#%@!!!! Good luck in Gulf Shores! It's a beautiful place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gulf Shores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Elberta Music Thread (Apr '18) Nov 8 Musikologist 2
Where is Keith Fank now days (Apr '18) Oct 31 Trick or treat 12
Murderer among you (Sep '17) Oct 29 Michelle K 19
If you don't have anything nice to say don't sa... Oct 29 Local 2
Happy Ending Oct 27 Local 4
New 26 mph limit on State Park Hwy Oct 27 Local 1
McDonald's parking lot in foley al. On Sept 21 ... (Apr '18) Oct 16 Any_info_is_appre... 10

Gulf Shores Jobs

Personal Finance

Gulf Shores Mortgages