need honest info about what its like to live in/near gulf shores.

Posted in the Gulf Shores Forum

short mama

United States

#1 May 4, 2012
My husband and i are considering moving to gulf shores to start a better life for our family and any info would greatly be appreciated. We are from lafollette tn and crime drug use welfare abuse very bad schools and low morals here have us worried about raising our young daughters in this environment. I am an l.p.n. and my husband is a class a trucker. he grew up deep sea fishing and would love any info on work in the charter/commercial fishing industry.
We want to find a family friendly community with lots of funplaces and things to do, or a short distance from one with decent schools and work oppourtunities. We have 5and 2 y.o. kids a cat and two small dogs, and while we may have to rent a year or so (we currently rent) before finding the perfect house or neighborhood for us we take pride in our living space and try to leave things better than when we got there.
we are saving and trying to prepare to move in the next couple of years and trying to make a decision between gulf shores al, Panama city fl, and Charleston sc. Honestly we like the gulf so somewhere near Panama city or gulf shores is winnining haha
happy in gulf shores

Gulf Shores, AL

#2 May 7, 2012
I love.this area, its actually the best place I have lived, the people are more than friendly for the most part. As far as jobs go look on Craigslist in Mobile or Pensicola you may find or see prospects. I would be happy to send you some of the realty mags. that they put out and some info on Gulf Shores
short mama

United States

#3 May 8, 2012
Awesome! Thank you. Is there somehow wwe could reach each other without letting addresses out for everyone to see? I'm sorry, ive seen people before here on my hometown topix get burned badly while letting personal info out. Any info would be greatly appreciated on schools housing and such
Just me

Brooklyn, NY

#4 May 9, 2012
We are also wanting to relocate to that area . Actually coming in July from Ny hoping to start kids in school there in the fall. How are the local high schools and are they and the area in general open and welcome to new comers... Thanks so much
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#5 May 10, 2012
"How are the local high schools and are they and the area in general open and welcome to new comers.."

Yes, we welcome new comers if they bring their money with them and if they have a job waiting for them if they don't bring money. Coming here and looking for a good paying job is about as hard as finding water on the moon. This is a resort area and most of the jobs are service jobs that pay minimum wages. Want to be a waitress or waiter, want to clean condos and hotel rooms, want to do landscaping or put shingles on a roof for minimum wage and think that you can support your kids, rent or buy a house, pay for gasoline, insurance, cable TV, telephone, water, electric, food, etc., on that kind of income--then come on down and enjoy the good life.

Since: May 12

Gulf Shores, AL

#6 May 10, 2012
short mama wrote:
Awesome! Thank you. Is there somehow wwe could reach each other without letting addresses out for everyone to see? I'm sorry, ive seen people before here on my hometown topix get burned badly while letting personal info out. Any info would be greatly appreciated on schools housing and such
Dolphin779@ymail.com. and trust me there are a lot of jobs besides seasonal in this area contact me I'd love to give you information. Without Mr. Congeniality adding his unwanted two cents.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#7 May 10, 2012
"Dolphin779@ymail.com. and trust me there are a lot of jobs besides seasonal in this area contact me I'd love to give you information. Without Mr. Congeniality adding his unwanted two cents."

Who are you scamming? Tell her the truth. No one is talking about seasonal jobs when it comes to someone who wants to relocate here. They are in need of a year round job if they have any chance of surviving in this area with 10% sales tax and golf clubs that charge over $100 just to play a round of golf. You can't go out for lunch and spend less than $20 and dinner will cost even more. A mixed drink usually costs $5-$7 in any bar and if you are a Baptist, be prepared to shell out a lot more of your precious income on things like building funds, foreign missionary projects, etc. or you won't be accepted by most of the elite at one of the many "First Baptist Churches". What do you have to offer them? A job with your company that is paying nothing and you just want to latch onto a helpless victim before the other land-sharks down here get their teeth into them and then spit them out once they have eaten all of the flesh off of their bones? Be honest with them and tell them that unless they bring money with them or have a professional background that some unique company down here needs and is willing to pay a decent salary for, they should stay where they are until they get their act together. Too many dreamers make the move here and after a short period of time have to move back home for all of the above reasons. The beach atmosphere is nice for a vacation, Spring Break, 3-day holiday weekend but it is extremely costly to engage in on a permanent basis.
Mr Jack

Foley, AL

#8 May 11, 2012
My wife and I moved to this area about 3 1/2 years ago and are loving every minute of it. It's the best move we have ever made!
We both found good paying, full time, all year long jobs WITH BENEFITS. Yes there are a lot of seasonal jobs, but there are also jobs year round.
"Give Me A Break" seems to have some sort of an attitude problem which may be why he or she has a problem getting a good job. I have never seen a place that charges "over $100 just to play a round of golf". As for restaurants, yes there are some that are expensive, but they are also the tourist traps that every resort area has. My guess is that if "Give Me A Break" had a better attitude, he or she might better be accepted as a local. They would then know where to go for a good meal, at a good price and be able to enjoy it and sit and relax with the local people of the area. And of course the same thing goes for going out to have a couple of drinks!
Anyway, I'll close by saying "Come on down, the weather's fine".
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#9 May 11, 2012
" but there are also jobs year round."

Of course there are if you have a marketable trade that pays well. If you are a LPN, RN, CPA, MD, Lawyer, electrician, school teacher for example, then you should be OK. If you want to be safe, let all of the folks who have volunteered to help you know what your skills are and if they are honest and helpful, they will tell you truth. Oh yes, you can eat lunch at McDonald's for less than $20---Sorry.

Since: May 12

United States

#10 May 11, 2012
Thank you Mr. Jack. I'm happy to know that there is only one person that does not like this area. That last I knew only for example you do not have.to possess a degree to work at Vulcan, Austel, or Goodrich. And if I am correct oh yes they are year round jobs with benefits that also pay well. They are only 3 examples of amany many jobs between mobile and pensicola. No where is it written that to live in Gulf Shores, Foley, Orange Beach area that you have to work there too.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#11 May 11, 2012
"No where is it written that to live in Gulf Shores, Foley, Orange Beach area that you have to work there too."

You are probably right--I haven't found it written anywhere either.
short mama

United States

#12 May 12, 2012
Thanks to all who replied! Is there any chances for a class a cdl driver? My husband is a truck driver and he would like a decent paying job where he can actually get to see us sometimes. Also, how would one go about getting a job in commercial/charter fishing? He is an avid fisherman here in Tennessee and has taken many a charter trip. He has mentioned finding out about what to do about getting a job in that. I know nothing about this...are charter or commercial fishing jobs decent paying? What would we need to know? Any liscences needed? If there's no leads for trucking or fishing, hes pretty much a jack of all trades.
as for me i am an l.p.n. id love a doctors office or a food hospital job. In our area we have a small hospital and not too many jobs pop up. Theres either home healthcare or nusing homes. There are doctors offices but thw nurses that are already thwre twnd to hold on to their jobs just like at the hospital, so they wont have to spend more just to get to work. The pay isn't great based on what my liscense could bring, for any nursing job within a decent drive from home. Unless you go to the bigger cities nearby (and thats about 40-50 miles or more one way)as an l.p.n ime only making 12-15 dollars an hour. I was a combat medic in the u.s. army, and earned my e.m.t. liscense while enlisted. Ive also been a c.n.a. im not too worried about acing intwrviews since my resume tends to stand out, but would like a job i can love
that isnthome health or nursing home. We would like info on safe family friendly neighborhoods within a modest price range, cost of living, schools, and babysitting as well as family activities or events or cool places within a couple hours drive.
we might take a couple of years to get down there....just doing our homework and making sure we are financially ready to move. We are open to living a ways back from the beach, figuring things may be slightly cheaper, but would still like to be within a short drive the beach and somewhat close to the kids schools and our jobs.

Thanks!
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#13 May 13, 2012
You are going about things correctly. Remember that charter fishing is not a steady job. Driving a truck certainly can be a steady job and can pay well. I think that as a nurse, you will be able to find a position without a problem but you will have to wait until you are closer to moving here to inquire. Best wishes.
Just me

West Orange, NJ

#14 May 14, 2012
This is a great thread with lots of feedback ... I do understand about the jobs and that is not a issue for us. Hubby travels with his job and has a very good , steady job.. Which we are thankfull for... Before living in Ny we lived about two hours from Gulf Shores so we are familiar with the area as we spent most weekends there out on the boat..
We are looking forward to moving there in July and have secured our housing already. Hoping my teenagers adapt well to the High school , other then that we are pretty sure that we will love it.. And looking forward to becoming a part of the community.

“Changes in latitude/attitud e”

Since: Sep 10

Gulf Shores, AL

#15 May 16, 2012
short mama wrote:
Thanks to all who replied! Is there any chances for a class a cdl driver? My husband is a truck driver and he would like a decent paying job where he can actually get to see us sometimes. Also, how would one go about getting a job in commercial/charter fishing? He is an avid fisherman here in Tennessee and has taken many a charter trip. He has mentioned finding out about what to do about getting a job in that. I know nothing about this...are charter or commercial fishing jobs decent paying? What would we need to know? Any liscences needed? If there's no leads for trucking or fishing, hes pretty much a jack of all trades.
as for me i am an l.p.n. id love a doctors office or a food hospital job. In our area we have a small hospital and not too many jobs pop up. Theres either home healthcare or nusing homes. There are doctors offices but thw nurses that are already thwre twnd to hold on to their jobs just like at the hospital, so they wont have to spend more just to get to work. The pay isn't great based on what my liscense could bring, for any nursing job within a decent drive from home. Unless you go to the bigger cities nearby (and thats about 40-50 miles or more one way)as an l.p.n ime only making 12-15 dollars an hour. I was a combat medic in the u.s. army, and earned my e.m.t. liscense while enlisted. Ive also been a c.n.a. im not too worried about acing intwrviews since my resume tends to stand out, but would like a job i can love
that isnthome health or nursing home. We would like info on safe family friendly neighborhoods within a modest price range, cost of living, schools, and babysitting as well as family activities or events or cool places within a couple hours drive.
we might take a couple of years to get down there....just doing our homework and making sure we are financially ready to move. We are open to living a ways back from the beach, figuring things may be slightly cheaper, but would still like to be within a short drive the beach and somewhat close to the kids schools and our jobs.
Thanks!
short mama, if you register here with topix, you can then pm other registered users. You can send me a pm and I will give you some ideas. I am a nanny in the area and pretty knowledgeable about neighborhoods, schools, etc.
short mama

United States

#16 May 18, 2012
Thanks! I'm on facebook- Amber Hatfield....you can send anything to me there:) my picture is one of those old timey portraits of my family dressed as hillbillies(hence the last name hatfield lol) if you need help finding me. Hope to hear from you!
I emailed happy in gulf shores/lenni Bennet/dolphin779@....
But haven't heard back...its been a week.hope nothings going to go on with my email lol.
Looking

Jackson, TN

#17 Jun 12, 2012
Do any of you have inside information on the need for qualified teachers in the area? My husband and I are considering the move. Here the need for teachers is great, so we know we will always have a job. We check the Baldwin county schools website and see a few postings, but I know that often they already have people in mind for positions. We have three sons, one in college and the other two still in school, so we need information about work environment as well as quality. Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gulf Shores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brett Robinson screwing their employees: Tue Verification 54
39yr male single looking! Mar 1 FJY4400 5
Summerdale Contractor In Jail For Fraudulent Deals (Sep '06) Feb 27 Guest 62
New leader chosen for Tennessee-Tombigbee Water... Feb 27 Joe Jo 1
What's the best restaurant for romance in Gulf ... Feb 26 GulfLocal 1
West Beach Activity Feb 21 mossy seaman 2
Foley Cats and Leash Laws Feb 19 Lawabidinganimal ... 1
Gulf Shores Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web