Hallandale Beach OKs red-light camera...

Hallandale Beach OKs red-light cameras at some intersections --...

There are 36 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Sep 1, 2007, titled Hallandale Beach OKs red-light cameras at some intersections --.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

HALLANDALE BEACH Run a red light? Soon the city will know. The city is negotiating with American Traffic Solutions, of St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
frank

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#21 Sep 2, 2007
Mr london is the only commisioner I would vote for. Impeach the other comminsioners
Yippie

Boca Raton, FL

#22 Sep 2, 2007
Red Neck wrote:
i wonder what a paint gun would cost and a three oclock visit to one all of those cameras?
splat,splat,splat and poof no ticket.
Please take your Paint Gun and go to 17th Street and Federal Hwy in Fort Lauderdale. Camera's are North, East, West and South facing in the middle of the intersections. Look up you will see them!!! These cameras have been there for almost a year. A Paint Gun is a good Idea he he he thanks, I hope someone does this too
ICU

United States

#23 Sep 3, 2007
frank wrote:
Mr london is the only commisioner I would vote for. Impeach the other comminsioners
Well, you sure have low standards! He does not belong in a position of authority.
Bukaye

Jonas Ridge, NC

#24 Sep 3, 2007
See below, this city in Texas installed the cameras:

Thursday, November 02, 2006
City council approves red light camera scam

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is, and that goes double for the system of cameras the City of Austin voted today to install to give tickets to red light runners.

Vendors will pay for the cameras to be installed, then take a percentage of the profits. So do you think those vendors (or the city, which anticipates a big revenue windfall) have any interest in actually reducing red light running? Not a chance - the more red lights are run, the more money they make. In other cities municipalities actually lowered the length of yellow light times in order to increase revenue.

Most studies on the subject not paid for by vendors find that the number of injury accidents stays about the same when red light cameras are installed, or sometimes increase. The state of Virginia banned municipal red light camera use because a statewide study showed they were sending more ambulances to auto accidents, not less, after the cameras were installed. Other states have followed suit.

People don't run red lights on purpose, they tend to do it by accident, and cameras won't help that.

Councilmember Mike Martinez, in particular, came off simultaneously arrogant and ignorant on the subject, declaring criticisms of the camera scheme by the ACLU central Texas chapter "not substantive," but refusing to debate the topic. Not only was he being an asshole, he was flat out wrong: ACLU presented the council with a plethora of legitimate studies and other documentation, while councilmembers (according to results from an ACLU open records request) received all their data from industry lobbyists. City staff hadn't even bothered to contact more neutral sources.

Martinez should be ashamed of himself. IMO he bared his ass and came off as though he didn't care what the facts were - he just wants the extra income. What invertebrate cowardice! If the city needs more money, show some balls and raise taxes - don't try to mulct citizens through the back door.

City Council claims that this is about "safety" are an obvious canard. The Texas Transportation Institute at Texas A&M says there would be a greater benefit in accident reduction - they estimate 40%, according to testimony at the hearing - simply by increasing yellow light times by one second. Another proven method is to add a visible counter to traffic signals at high-risk intersections that counts down the moments until the light changes - most red light running happens because drivers are guessing when the light will change, and the counter takes out all the guesswork, dramatically reducing accidents.

But the city isn't looking at increasing yellow light times. Why? Because it would decrease camera revenue.

This is nothing but a scam. More later on some of the legal aspects, but for now if you're interested check out past coverage of this issue from Grits for Breakfast when the matter was before the Texas Legislature
Monica

AOL

#25 Sep 3, 2007
You GO BUKAYE!!!
Edi

United States

#26 Sep 3, 2007
Cameras will stop runners who do it on purpose, but will not stop inadvertent/accidental running, which happens because an intersection is confusing, or because there are distractions in the vehicle or outside on the road. And guess which of these two types runs the light longer, and is more likely to cause an accident?
If you want to stop the accidents, you have to do "engineering countermeasures." In other words, better pavement markings, bigger diameter lamps on the signal, remove roadside distractions.
All that cameras do is give the appearance of doing something - and raise the number of rear-enders by 60%. For links to some studies, go to http://www.highwayrobbery.net/redlightcamsLin...
Red Light Scamera Program

Staten Island, NY

#27 Sep 4, 2007
smile wrote:
Good idea maybe all the city's will do this, they can upgrade Florida!
I've got news for you, numbnuts...

The only thing that will be "upgraded" under the Red Light Scamera Program will be the thieving politician's bank accounts!!!
Cha Ching

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#28 Sep 6, 2007
Cha Ching Cha Ching Cha Ching. What tax break?>
whynot

Miami, FL

#29 Oct 9, 2007
How can any of us who use the roads and have children and spouses, friends, anyone who uses the roads and is at the mercy of people who speed, fail to signal, weave in & out, putting people's lives in jeopardy---root for anything but a crackdown on all of this? Wouldn't your point of view change from "what am I entitled to get away with" to sorrow and anger if someone you loved paid the ultimate price in an accident like thsoe we see every day because of reckless driving in South Florida? I don't think that tragedy should have to hit home in the form of a fatal auto accident for people to get this....I don't understand people....
tail

Crystal Springs, FL

#30 Jul 12, 2008
Keith London needs to come in to the 21st century and cut that wig off! Seriously, the hair does not make the man. Shave the head and get ahead. then he can be my mayor, my legislator, he is good.
Mickey Mekjhan

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#31 Dec 24, 2008
Keith London 4 Mayor? Please. That piece of garbage should be run out of town and beaten by all those he has pissed off, which is too many. I have never, ever, ever heard anyone, but yourself say a kind word about him. In fact, over 100 people who voted for him in the first place said it would be a cold day in hell they would vote for Mr. ME.

His nickname is ONE....as in 4-1 on every vote taken now and until the last day he is on the job. We will get Julie Hamlin to run against him. That should shut the loud mouth up. She has more contacts and people who trust her on one hand that Mr. It's About me will ever have. he is a HACK politician, who has but ONE ally in the city and that's it! What he has cost the taxpayers with his little assignments to turn people in and investigate is obscene. If that MF ever gets in as Mayor, he will be shot!!! Only horses asses like yourself would ever promote a low life ME kind of person.

If he gets re-elected, which is 80 percent to 20 against......he will continue to ruin the city. If I was Mike Good and he harasses med and tried to F with my livlihood, he we would be guaranteed lying in some street one day. Piss off a city manager with that many ties. What does Mr. ME work for Levitt Weinstein memorial Chapels. He is lucky he is still here....
StraightShooter

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#32 Dec 24, 2008
Yes sir, I would want this great disruptor calling the shots in my city. You talk about him being mayor? From his track record, he is lucky that he isn't on some pavement face down from being a one man crusader against everyone – and anyone. I just looked up FARCE in the dictionary and it had a huge photo of Mr. Wonderful.

Oh, by the way, the following are just a small sample of ME politics on the rage. He has done some hurtful things that haven't come out, but if I were him, turning around every few steps would be recommended – for the rest of his miserable life....

REPEAT AFTER ME......SCUM BAG!!!!!!

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics...

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/09/03/Citys_...

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2008/0...

http://www.solidwastereport.com/view_article....

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/21045...
Ilovekeith

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#33 Dec 26, 2008
This is appalling. How could anyone say anything against my Keith. He is so, well, sexy, would be the word. I could care less if he knew politics, he can ring my bell anytime......I am his only friend...
snurok

Miami, FL

#34 Mar 16, 2010
as Heidi O'Sheehan how much they gave her for the approval of these illegal red light cameras.
And if she is so concerned with safety then how come they shortened the timeing of the yellow light and made sure no signs to warn motorists they would be photgraphed are visible in plain site?
Bill

Hollywood, FL

#35 Mar 17, 2010
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics...

Read this official report on cities in South Florida. They pay with benefits on an average over 90K for their jobs while the private sector pats about 60K for their jobs with LESS benefits.

Police and fire retire in these communities on 80 percent of their last 2 years. No Joke. The average fire or police starts at about 45K the average one retiring often at age 50 is over 80,000 per year. You are paying twice as much for a retiree as for a new person. No industry can do this and survive. The tax payers and cities cannot afford this as they get their health insurances also in this retirement package.

Theya re doing anything to try to survive.
big brother

Pensacola, FL

#36 Mar 9, 2011
obama and his grand plan cameras are everywher and getting worse-keep a watch

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gulf Breeze Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News From Key West to Pensacola, Florida's LGBT atti... Jun 24 Cold Hard Truth 6
She Ruled the Trolls of The Short Forest & Ever... Jun 17 Troll Scum 1
Stallone's Pizza (Nov '13) Jun 17 Troll Scum 8
my number...931-xxx-xxxx (Oct '12) Jun 1 Sam Alrowhani 15
News Miami's Best Concert of the Week: Ellie Gouldin... May 31 kelly 2
Brew Pubs (Nov '15) May '16 yep 12
Karl Eric Scheffing is a child molesting pervert (Jul '11) May '16 Truth 122
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gulf Breeze Mortgages