Guilford Self-Defense Studio Owner Ar...

Guilford Self-Defense Studio Owner Arrested For Videotaping Peo...

There are 37 comments on the Hartford Courant story from May 29, 2009, titled Guilford Self-Defense Studio Owner Arrested For Videotaping Peo.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

The owner of a self defense studio in Guilford is accused of secretly video taping his employees and a young student as they undressed, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Reevee

Newington, CT

#22 May 30, 2009
Mr Common Sense wrote:
Proof that true journalism is dead. Here's the headline.
"Guilford Self-Defense Studio Owner Arrested For Videotaping People Undressing." Journalism 101: you never use arrested for anything. You say charged with, or arrested on charges of, etc. This states he did it. What if he's acquitted? No wonder I left the business. If this is what it takes to be an editor a trained monkey could do better.
But he WAS arrested...It didn't say he was convicted...

Since: May 09

Royal Palm Beach, Fla

#23 May 30, 2009
Reevee wrote:
<quoted text> But he WAS arrested...It didn't say he was convicted...
Thank you, Reba, my thoughts exactly !!!
Mr Common Sense

United States

#24 May 30, 2009
Pasquale Daly wrote:
<quoted text>Ahh excuse me, oh wise one... arrested... arrested on charges ... I think they mean the same damn thing... stop splitting pubic hairs !! Yeah , it is good you left.. you are way too uptight !!! Have a glass of wine, and rest... oh wait..and relax.. oh wait, aren't they the same ?? I don't know..maybe I'll have a glass too !!!
No, they don't mean the same thing. I learned that in journalism 101. Literally. It prevents newspapers from being sued, and it's not splitting hairs. Example: If the news say you have been arrest FOR murder, they are saying you committed murder. The fact you have been arrested on a charge of murder means you have been charged. It doesn't mean you did it. If you are found not guilty you have been libeled and can then sue whatever media outlet called you a murderer. That is a fact.
Mr Common Sense

United States

#25 May 30, 2009
Reevee wrote:
<quoted text> But he WAS arrested...It didn't say he was convicted...
Yes, he was arrested. That is a fact. The headling says he was arrested "for videotaping people undressing." The paper is saying with absolute 100 percent certainty that he did this. Maybe, maybe not, but the bottom line is it is for the courts to decide.
Marjorie

Dennis Port, MA

#26 May 30, 2009
Jack Offer wrote:
Hope the ladies had clean butts.
LOL! And if he was lucky, he got to see some shaved clams, too!!

Royal Palm Beach, Fla

#27 May 30, 2009
Mr Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they don't mean the same thing. I learned that in journalism 101. Literally. It prevents newspapers from being sued, and it's not splitting hairs. Example: If the news say you have been arrest FOR murder, they are saying you committed murder. The fact you have been arrested on a charge of murder means you have been charged. It doesn't mean you did it. If you are found not guilty you have been libeled and can then sue whatever media outlet called you a murderer. That is a fact.
I think you are so full of it, you smell.. Thank god you are not reporting the news !!!
Fluffy

Foxboro, MA

#29 May 30, 2009
Marjorie wrote:
<quoted text> LOL! And if he was lucky, he got to see some shaved clams, too!!
C'mon, that's nasty.

Royal Palm Beach, Fla

#30 May 30, 2009
Fluffy wrote:
<quoted text>
C'mon, that's nasty.
You think that is nasty, wait until the hair starts growing back !!!
Hortense

Fremont, CA

#31 May 30, 2009
Is there supposed to be something wrong with this owner's actions? As far as I can tell, he was only trying to get his groove thang' on!
Mr Common Sense

United States

#32 May 31, 2009
Pasquale Daly wrote:
<quoted text>I think you are so full of it, you smell.. Thank god you are not reporting the news !!!
Before you start criticizing about something you do not know, I suggest that you take a few journalism courses including libel law.

Royal Palm Beach, Fla

#33 May 31, 2009
Mr Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you start criticizing about something you do not know, I suggest that you take a few journalism courses including libel law.
Mr. Senseless, you sound like one of those little peons that misses the big story because someone spelled a word wrong !!! GET OVER IT !!!
hellspite

East Hartford, CT

#34 Jun 1, 2009
I heard the Villari schools had crazy hassles.
Charles Mattera

Mission Viejo, CA

#35 Jun 6, 2009
An interesting back story is United Studios of Self Defense had 2 other molestation cases, One in Irvine CA and the other in Costa Mesa CA. Actually one other happened in Huntington Beach CA but for some reason it did not make the news. A previous instructor in Villa Park CA put one on the VP's child in the trunk of a car to punish him. He was not in great shape when the child was released. This is just a snippet of poor leadership USSD has done over the years. I have a million stories.
Robert

Santa Ana, CA

#36 Jun 22, 2009
I think this is sick. What is wrong with these people in positions to supposedly enrich our children. I was looking into more of this and found there are 2 other convictions and one pending in California due to rape, and molestations at other united studios of self defense establishments. I am starting to seriously wonder if this is not coming from the leadership at the top. They are clearly doing something wrong to have these people working or representing their names. You would think they would perform somekind of background check.
Just sick!
Chip

Milldale, CT

#37 Jun 22, 2009
"I am starting to seriously wonder if this is not coming from the leadership at the top."

I thought that about the catholic church as well....
Mc Dojo

United States

#38 Jul 1, 2009
Yes of course this problem is trickling down. A little research and you will see the high divorce rate with the so called masters (BOD) due to affairs with other instructors and students, or oops, fathering kids outside the marrage. When they take the annual china trip, a lot more than karate is going on. A b-rated star and a master was reported to had private grappling practice.
Eric

Branford, CT

#39 Jul 27, 2009
I quit Karate like 5 years ago. He was my instructor he was a kool dude didnt expect this. I find it funny more then bad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guilford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On Wet Road, `Officer Down' (Apr '07) Apr 14 get it Right 21
News Charter Schools Continue To Suspend Students At... Apr 7 America Gentleman... 1
Review: Bridgepoint Mortgage LLC (Mar '15) Apr 7 Luigi 4
News Branford's Easter Egg Hunt Upcoming Mar '16 Jfenn 1
News Connecticut's deficit is 10 times worse than pr... Feb '16 fact finding 2
News Former President Clinton Stumps for Hillary in ... Jan '16 Hopeless Godforsa... 2
News 'Madison Police Driving Away Local Business Dol... (Aug '11) Nov '15 Elmer Fudd 18
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Guilford Mortgages