Statewide Teachers' Union Affiliate A...

Statewide Teachers' Union Affiliate Agrees To Concessions In Gu...

There are 30 comments on the Hartford Courant story from May 25, 2009, titled Statewide Teachers' Union Affiliate Agrees To Concessions In Gu.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

In a development that municipal leaders throughout the state have hoped for fervently, an affiliate of the powerful Connecticut Education Association has agreed to wage concessions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Levelplayingfiel d

Plymouth, MN

#21 May 26, 2009
Yet again, The reason to live in the town that you work in was to stop municipal employees from escaping the tyranny of town taxes and the effects that it had on its citizenry. Now when taxes go up so do yours. As for affording it, no one is asking you to live in Avon or Simsbury. Last time I looked, many of Alabams's students had higher scores than the Hartford students. Must be a direct correlation to those lower skilled teachers (whatever that means). When there is a measurement for teaching, let me know. Then we can get rid of the below average teachers. Measurement works both ways.
Umberto

Hartford, CT

#22 May 26, 2009
Yet Again wrote:
<quoted text>
The "highest paid" comment is still an embarrassment to the profession based on other jobs with the same educational requirements..... Must be those high salaries which are causing a teacher shortage every year and a projected enormous shortage in the near future.
Let's not kid each other. Teachers make a heck of a lot of money. The reason for the shortage of teachers is that the CEA has made certification difficult.

You can graduate with a Ph.D. in math and you still can't teach first grader without jumping through a ton of certification hoops.

They protect their turf very well.
Insider

New Haven, CT

#23 May 26, 2009
Yet Again wrote:
<quoted text>
Take a look at Alabama's state scores and maybe then you can see why they aren't attracting the best teachers around. You want that in CT? Go ahead, lower teachers' salaries. As it is you want me to live in the town I teach in but don't want to pay me the salary to afford to do so.
Absolutely unbelievable the postings I'm reading with this topic.
I live in that town. I can assure you, you make more than I do. It's called budgeting yourself. I don't know a single teacher that is impoverished in this state, so get over yourself.

And true, Alabama may not have the stellar averages that we do here. But then again, they pay their teachers about a quarter of what we do here and their ability to get certified is less difficult. But, I don't care how you spin it, throwing more money at teachers is not always the key to making a better education system. There are a million factors that go into making a great school system, teachers just being part of it. With a 6th year, you could tap out at well over a hundred grand a year. Good for you, but seriously....it's a recession...none of you should be holding out your hands.
Jon

Rocky Hill, CT

#24 May 26, 2009
to Jeb62 - well said!!!!!!

to Yet Again - you don;t get Social Security but you do get those nice pensions that we all will be paying for out of our meager social security benefits.
Clarence

AOL

#25 May 26, 2009
Sure teachers don't get Social Security but they also don't pay into it, what a bargain. I know, I know they contribute to their retirement. Anyone would contribute 7% of their salary to collect 70% after 35 years. More power to teachers but they do have it good in todays cut throat world.
some teachers are scary

Berlin, CT

#26 May 26, 2009
Yet Again wrote:
<quoted text>
And we also receive NO SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS, no tax burden there.
Let's get real. You teachers make a whole lot more in your pensions than you would ever receive in ss benefits.
What? 3 more weeks of school and then on vacation again? Guess you'll have to cry all summer. Poor poor you.
DJS

Bainbridge Island, WA

#27 May 26, 2009
Yet Again wrote:
<quoted text>
And we also receive NO SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS, no tax burden there.
And guess what, that also means you don't pay social security taxes either.
Hutch

Shelton, CT

#28 Jun 16, 2009
Why is everyone bickering about who is better off? We are arguing over pennies compared to the money that goes to fund the war in Iraq, Afghanistan and now Pakistan. The fact is everyone's jobs and wages are at risk and if we keep making conscessions and don't stand up to our bosses they will keep squeezing us dry.
ponzi

Guilford, CT

#29 Jul 24, 2009
Its funny how the Reg 13 district asked for give-backs or they would cut positions. When the teachers held firm. Under two weeks later, they found extra money and didn't cut anyone. Tells me two things:
1. Teachers are always made the scapegoats.
2. There's extra money in the budget, BOEs are just experts at hiding it.
Dominick Junker

Ashburn, VA

#30 Sep 7, 2013
the best fr ee online dating website! video chat, send and receive messages, and flirts all free!! check it out! http://tinyurl.com/k825c8h

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guilford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Five Arrested On Prostitution Charges In Branfo... (Dec '09) Mar 18 Dr Pendyke 32
Gang Stalking In Guilford CT (Apr '15) Mar 17 Observer 9
News Atlantic Wire in Branford closes (Aug '08) Mar 12 Regan 22
News Transgender candidate running for governor Mar 7 TerriB1 1
News North Branford's Center School Set for Demo Feb '17 chris 1
News Cruisin' Connecticut - " Happy Birthday Gretel:... Jan '17 RIP Justin Cooke 1
News Obituary: Douglas Henry Engle Jan '17 RIP Justin Cooke 1

Guilford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Guilford Mortgages