If you are on Guilford's Chip Sealing...

If you are on Guilford's Chip Sealing Road list - Look out!

Posted in the Guilford Forum

madpixl

Guilford, CT

#1 Jul 24, 2009
Our road was chip-sealed last year. What was once a nice smooth surface in a quiet cul-de-sac for kids to ride bikes and skateboards in, is now a razor-sharp, hazard-filled surface. Here's several reasons why I think it's awful:

If my boys fall on their bikes, its almost guaranteed trip to the E.R. Forget skateboarding anymore at all... It's just too rough. Also now they plan to add Latex to it. So now if my son who's allergic to latex walks on it with bare feet, or even in my garage after my car tracks in the latex pebbles from driving on chip sealing, what happens?

It never stayed on the ground. I suspect with high oil prices the contractor cut way back on the oil so all the gravel chips just scattered. We used several wheel barrows full for our gravel driveway... Thanks taxpayers! But if we didn't take it it would have washed down the storm drain anyway.

The cracks it was supposed to fill are still there. And now our road looks like a mess with the cracks, it looks like the highway does when they rough it up before coating it. Is that good for our real estate values? I don't think so.

I would imagine, since smoother roads promote better tire wear, that this rough surface must cause increased tire wear, snow plow wear, and more likely worse gas mileage due to more rolling resistance.

This is a half-assed approach to fixing roads. Just so we don't have to patch or re-surface them. It will hurt our town in the long run. AND if the latex they are planning to add to the surface is an allergen, you can bet there will be law suits.

I wonder if anyone else feels the same?
jingles

Guilford, CT

#2 Jul 31, 2009
In Fairfield county there's a company advertising chip-sealing to preserve that "gravel driveway look".
Candy

United States

#3 Aug 24, 2009
YEESSS! Whats going on? I can't undersatnd why they took a great road and put this crap on it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guilford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: CT Krav Maga & MMA Sep 13 Emily R 6
attorney needed to collect from attorney Robert... (Jul '09) Aug '16 operation gladio 2
News Young Children Still Suspended In High Numbers ... Aug '16 BPT 12
Gang Stalking In Guilford CT (Apr '15) Jun '16 Onthelist 7
Car Accident in Branford (Jun '08) Jun '16 Her cousin 24
Review: Bridgepoint Mortgage LLC (Mar '15) May '16 SO TRUE 5
News On Wet Road, `Officer Down' (Apr '07) Apr '16 get it Right 21

Guilford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Guilford Mortgages