'Madison Police Driving Away Local Business Dollars'

There are 17 comments on the Patch.com story from Aug 2, 2011, titled 'Madison Police Driving Away Local Business Dollars'. In it, Patch.com reports that:

This letter was written by Valentina DaCosta of Clinton. I was recently issued a ticket for exceeding a two hour parking limit in the Madison town center.A Because the parking restriction was not clearly marked and this is a new push from the Madison businesses to limit parking on Rt 1, I find myself with a $20 ticket, despite patronizing a Madison ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

so what

Seattle, WA

#1 Aug 9, 2011
that it. your whineing about 20 dollars because you dont know when to move your car. thats cheap. most places charge 4079

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#2 Aug 12, 2011
I could not agree more with this letter- the Madison Police dept openly harrasses motorists- I've seen it myself. In the last few years I've seen the following: a bicyclist ticketed for going too fast; multiple cars ticketed for backing into parking spaces instead of driving in forward; Madison Police simply picking a motorist and following them as they drive around town..... that is an illegal practice, it's called 'fishing' and there was a landmark case in Connecticut in which the Ct supreme court spelled it out- illegal. I've had this happen to me. It's very unnerving and VERY annoying to have some small town PIG follow you as you do your saturday morning errands.
Clintonite

Old Saybrook, CT

#3 Aug 17, 2011
You should have asked the cop if he had any lobsters or hookers in his trunk.

“'never'”

Location hidden

#4 Aug 17, 2011
Clintonite wrote:
You should have asked the cop if he had any lobsters or hookers in his trunk.
...or if they stolen any gas from the town pumps for their personal cars again, or if they've drawn their weapons on the chief in the police station parking lot, or if they've jacked up their overtime logs....

Seriously though, simply driving through Madison and being followed for the entire trip through town is not acceptable conduct. It's been done to me and many people I know. It's like a southern town cop in the '50's following a black guy just to give him the creeps.
Both my vehicles are legal, up to date, no issues, there is no reason to follow me or the other people I know. Those cops are absolute rogue assholes.

Since: Aug 11

Chester, CT

#5 Aug 20, 2011
totally agree, I literally avoid that town like the plague, picking alternate roots to get home. Police are constantly harassing patrons and town folk, the fundamentals are flawed. To many police and no crime.

“'never'”

Location hidden

#6 Aug 20, 2011
DrefromCt wrote:
totally agree, I literally avoid that town like the plague, picking alternate roots to get home. Police are constantly harassing patrons and town folk, the fundamentals are flawed. To many police and no crime.
Yes, I now often alter my route to avoid Madison. Only rarely now will I drive up and down Rt. 79, even though I live right near it. I've been followed several times right to the town line, for no reason. It's pretty scary, you don't know what they could do to you.... BTW I'm a clean-cut guy and I drive newer vehicles- I'm not some biker looking guy making a drug delivery.
Robert L

Chicopee, MA

#7 Sep 2, 2011
I was pulled over on my moped by a Madison police woman (name with held)She asked for my motorcycle license,I told her i did not need one because its a 49cc motor.She pointed at the marking on the engine that says 50 sport,i explained to her that ALL 49cc mopeds are marked 50.She called in the moped model and guess what?????She learned something that day.Put one of these cops in Hartford or Springfield and they will shit their pants.
kate

Nashua, NH

#8 Sep 4, 2011
It's known that the Madison cops are, generally speaking, not respected or trusted because of their practices.

Even cleaning out the whole dep't didn't seem to help.

ROBERT - I bet you I could tell you exactly which one it was. Let's just say, she's always looking HARD for "the bust".

I grew up with small town cops and, like all groups, there are always some really good ones in the mix. But, they are few and far between, especially in Madison.

It's unfortunate because they have ZERO rapport with the kids or any regular citizen who isn't looking for favor trading.

Even the DA's in the New Haven courthouse laugh at them.
kate

Nashua, NH

#9 Sep 4, 2011
Give me NYPD over the Madison PD any day of the week.

“'never'”

Location hidden

#10 Sep 7, 2011
kate wrote:
It's known that the Madison cops are, generally speaking, not respected or trusted because of their practices.
Even cleaning out the whole dep't didn't seem to help.
ROBERT - I bet you I could tell you exactly which one it was. Let's just say, she's always looking HARD for "the bust".
I grew up with small town cops and, like all groups, there are always some really good ones in the mix. But, they are few and far between, especially in Madison.
It's unfortunate because they have ZERO rapport with the kids or any regular citizen who isn't looking for favor trading.
Even the DA's in the New Haven courthouse laugh at them.
Yes, it should be added that there must be good cops in Madison mixed in with the (many) bad. What a shame for the good cops.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Rockin' USA ;)

#11 Sep 24, 2011
Got to make the bucks somewhere, so let's ticket our local patrons, sock it to them. What does this create? Hard freakin' feelings and I'll take my business elsewhere attitude. Can we say kiss your job good-bye fuzz, cuz folks will not put up with harassment of this sort. ROCK ON!

“'never'”

Location hidden

#12 Sep 25, 2011
Colorado Chick wrote:
Got to make the bucks somewhere, so let's ticket our local patrons, sock it to them. What does this create? Hard freakin' feelings and I'll take my business elsewhere attitude. Can we say kiss your job good-bye fuzz, cuz folks will not put up with harassment of this sort. ROCK ON!
I don't know where you're from, but the madison police HAVE been busted in significant numbers for various things. It all culminated in getting a new police chief, and nothing has changed- they are as bad as ever.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Rockin' USA ;)

#13 Sep 25, 2011
Citizen44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know where you're from, but the madison police HAVE been busted in significant numbers for various things. It all culminated in getting a new police chief, and nothing has changed- they are as bad as ever.
Pretty darn sad, that you can't trust even the city police dept. They are supposed to be having your safety and well-being in mind. Not harassing you, cuz you are what/ Ten minutes late putting your nickel in the meter? It's a freakin' nickel fuzz. I can see it now, folks will up and sell their homes and leave. If you don't have good cops, what's the sense of trusting them with your life, if say, if you are in an accident. Will they call the ambulance on time? or say, Mr. Jones has two outstanding parking tickets, let's let him rest a bit longer. Who the freak knows if this would happen, I hope to God they still would have a some decency left in this circumstance. Sounds like the Earps would have loved this showdown in Madison, oh yeah!
Grizz

Rocky Hill, CT

#14 Oct 28, 2011
I've lived in Madison at times and they have the worse "police" force in CT except possibly Middletown. Crooks, liars, harassers of the general public .... too many incidents I've seen to list here. What I try to do is to avoid shopping, eating or even going through the town and spend my money elsewhere. The good thing about Madison cops I've found is that you can throw a lobster, tire or a can of gas their way and they'll leave you alone. I tend to stay away from Middletown too as it seems to be the only place you can find where they have a parking nazi who'll will give you a $100 ticket for parking in a handicap area when you have a legal permit ... just plain nuts!
Abbott Tu Rayge

Branford, CT

#16 Oct 5, 2014
The Madison Police department is what happens when a bunch of sociopaths are given badges and guns

“'never'”

Location hidden

#17 Oct 26, 2014
Abbott Tu Rayge wrote:
The Madison Police department is what happens when a bunch of sociopaths are given badges and guns
Yup and although they aren’t unique in the police world, they are pretty bad.
elmer fudd

East Greenwich, RI

#18 Nov 30, 2014
Problem with Madison Police (live there) is that there are too many for a town this size, they have not real crime to deal with, so what do they do?…cruise around all day with moving radar (front and rear), looking for minor infractions to justify their "value". Two weeks ago, I counted three (3) madison officers simultaneously patrolling Rt79 on a sunday evening… this is ridiculous. They also have new vehicles (equipped to the hilt) SUV's, and an unmarked Dodge Challenger (white). No wonder Madison Taxes are so high and keep going up (even in the recession) a few years ago… certainly the police dept. is one area overdue for some taxpayer saving, and they are due for a lesson in "protect and serve"… not harrass and "fine".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guilford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fairfield Student Graduates From Bridgeport Hos... May 18 Citizen44 2
News Cops nab suspect in bank robberies (Mar '08) May 16 Erin 61
Gang Stalking In Guilford CT May 4 John 4
Police Charge Group Home Resident With Breaking... May 3 Waves and surf 1
News Connecticut electrician to appear in 'Shark Tan... May 3 BPT 4
News Enfield State Rep. Accepted Into Program Follow... Apr 30 Larry 1
News Four Teens Charged In Sex Assault Of Girl (Feb '10) Apr 27 7th Grade Health ... 99
More from around the web

Guilford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]