State booster seat law to change

Full story: WNYT Albany

Guilderland mom Melissa Anderson has a nine-year-old daughter, a six-year old-son, and another baby on the way.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Kate

Kingston, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

The above article has an incorrect sitation according to http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/sesa-ndx.htm#r...

There it sites the new age for Booster Seats is 7 years old, not 8 years old.

While I grant that the site I found may be incorrect, there seems to be some confusion and misinformation abounding and I hope that more reporting will clear it up!

As a parent I find it incredibly frustrating at the difficulties I am encountering in finding the correct information. The NYS websites leave something to be desired.
M-Clifton Park

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

The law is only impacting children to age 7 (it was until age 6). But please make your readers and viewers aware that just because a child reaches the age of 7 it doesn't mean they are ready for a seatbelt only. To only use a seatbelt they must meet these criteria:
Does he sit all the way back against the car's seat?
Do his knees bend comfortably at the edge of the seat?
Does the lap belt naturally rest below his belly, touching the top of his thighs?
Is the shoulder belt centered across his shoulder and chest?
Can he stay seated like this for the whole trip?
Most children can't do all of the above until well after age 7 or age 8.
Jane

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

I am 4'8 inches and 87 lbs. and I am 47 years old. I do not drive but am often in the car with my husband. Should I be alarmed for my own safety?
Devvy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

Well Jane sounds like your husband needs to purchase you a booster seat. LOL

Sounds like another way for big companies to add to their pocketbooks.

Do any of you remember riding in the back of grandpas pickup truck to go to church on Sunday? Or laying in the back of the family station wagon for the yearly trip to Florida? I did and I am still here.

Being safe is one thing but for the government to continue to dictate time and time again what I must or must not do where my children are concerned is getting tiresome.
Occupant Protection Educ

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

The current law is for children ages 4 to 7 that they be in a booster seat. The offical new law goes into effect November 24, 2009 at which time it will increase to age 8...meaning children ages 4 to 8 must be in a booster seat. I am a Nationally Certified Child Passenger Safety Instructor and I did the story with Channel 13 yesterday. I am fully aware of the current and new law. I can assure you the information in this story is accurate. You may have found 7 as the current age listed on GTSC's website as the law does not change until Novemeber 24 as I stated in the story. The new law will require children 4 to 8 be in a booster seat. Once a child reaches age 8 we suggest you do check your child's fit in each vehicle they ride in as it may have a different fit. We do have a 5 step test that we ask you perform on your child to assure they fit correctly in the lap/shoulder belt once they are 8 years old. I apologize for any confusion and welcome any calls for clarification at the office 885-8995. Some of you responding are giving out incorrect information and thus it does make it difficult to understand correct information. I can assure you the current law if for children 4 to 7 and the new law that will be in effect 11/24 is for children 4 to 8. As to anyone that feels the goverment is making demands, let me just remind you cars are more powerful than they were when we were kids, speeds are much faster on roadways and there are more drunk drivers and inexperienced drivers than ever before. The sheer volume of traffic has increased causing older ways of travel not to be safe today. I am not only a certified CPS Instructor, but a mother of 4 boys and I appreciate all possibilities to keep my children safe. Please remember a crash is weight x speed =( a 10 lb. baby in a 60 mile an hour crash will endure 600 lbs. of crash forces on their body, not only outward but internal organs including brain.) Our goal with a car seat, booster seat or properly fitting seatbelt is that a person has time to ride down the crash reducing the amount of crash forces the body and internal organs will endure. I have been an instructor with this for 12 years and I can assure you we only want to prevent a tragedy!!!!!!!
Occupant Protection Educ

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

I am the Occupant Protection Educator for Saratoga County at Cornell University Cooperative Ext.. I am also the Chair of the New York State Child Passenger Safety Advisory Board from GTSC. I am available for any and all questions at 885-8995 x 228. I wrote comment #5 also. I trust the information is helpful and that if not you will feel free to call me for clarification.
Occupant Protection Educ

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Kate and M- from Clifton Park I hope you will call me so I can explain correct information to you. I am sorry if the current law on GTSC's website confused you but, they reference current law and they will change it come 11/24/2009. Again I encourage anyone with questions or comments to contact myself or GTSC and speak with the State's CPS Director Barbara Formica.
Kacey

Elmira, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2009

I was wondering if I could get a website with this information or an email address of someone who could provide me with the information discussed above on the new booster seat laws. I would like to pass the information on to parents that I work with.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Guilderland Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Guilderland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••