Town of Grundy
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Brenda Chamberlain

AOL

#1 Jul 20, 2006
I was born in Grundy in 1949. I always went back and stayed with my grandmother during summer vacation. I remember that there were 2 movie theaters in Grundy. One of them was called the Alamo. My grand mother worked there. I remember that sometimes we would eat lunch at the Rexall Drug store. My grandmother lived in Royal City. My other grandparents lived in Big Rock. I would like to know what Grundy is like now.
Alice

United States

#2 Jul 20, 2006
There is only one theatre in Grundy now - the Grundy Community Center. The old one is being torn down right now, along with the rest of the old town. The Drug Store is still there along with a Rite Aid. Other than that, there is a Food City in Vansant(the old one closed this past winter) and a Magic Mart. Across the river from the old town, a Wal Mart will be built soon. The old high school has been converted into the law school which can be seen at www.asl.edu . A few miles down Slate Creek, a pharmacy school has opened. It will be moving into one of the old elementary schools. Mountain Mission school is still going strong. And all of the old area elementary schools have been replaced by the gigantic Riverview Elementary and Middle. Across from the law school, there is a coffee shop which has great food and coffee. Also on Walnut Street, Italian Villiage has set up shop. A nice, new chinese restaurant came into town last month and is in the shopping plaza with the town hall. Also, beside of the Comfort Inn, a new Bellacino's and Bella Creamery along with some small boutiques opened in a beautiful, quaint shopping center. There are some new apartments down by the pharmacy school on Slate Creek. They are going for around 900 a month. The people are warm, friendly, and welcoming. And since the law school got accredited last month, some much needed economic stability has come to the area. The good news is that if you have a house to sell, you won't have much trouble getting rid of it. Coal miners are still having it rough and black lung and rock dust cases are plentiful. Drug abuse is prevalent as is the number of people on disability. Teens tend to be a bit more promiscuous than the rest of the nation, which is the one thing that Grundy really needs to work on: instilling a sense of pride and self-worth in our young ones. The town is full of characters and there is never a dull moment. The town library is delightful and has many programs for youth, a wonderful genealogy section and a huge selection of audio books. There are quite a few churches in town. Pastor Howell Scott and his wife Brenda are at the Baptist Church which is right beside of the law school. They moved here with their family from Flordia and have made a great addition to the community. The Catholic Church is very small but full of life. The Methodist Church on Slate Creek is working on a beautiful addition and it is turning out to be magnificent. There are many more churches in the area and most are full of old and young alike. Despite the drug problem in the area, there are absolutely no AA or NA programs around, much less Alanon. The bowling alley closed this past spring. The Little Big Horn is going strong with karaoke on Thursdays and Comedy Night on Fridays. Most of the students stay year round and they are from all parts of the country (the pharmacy school has classes during the summer). For shopping, most people venture out to Richlands and Claypool Hill to the mall. But, the lack of commercial entertainment in Grundy is great because it forces people to entertain in their homes, which they do often. There is never a boring night in Grundy - someone is always having a party or a meeting of some sort. Grundy has wireless internet that most people can access. Life here is pretty good. There is never any traffic; people know your name every where you go; there is an abundance of good food and good friends; and there is always something to do. Hope this helps!
nada

United States

#3 Aug 26, 2006
Alice wrote:
There is only one theatre in Grundy now - the Grundy Community Center. The old one is being torn down right now, along with the rest of the old town. The Drug Store is still there along with a Rite Aid. Other than that, there is a Food City in Vansant(the old one closed this past winter) and a Magic Mart. Across the river from the old town, a Wal Mart will be built soon. The old high school has been converted into the law school which can be seen at www.asl.edu . A few miles down Slate Creek, a pharmacy school has opened. It will be moving into one of the old elementary schools. Mountain Mission school is still going strong. And all of the old area elementary schools have been replaced by the gigantic Riverview Elementary and Middle. Across from the law school, there is a coffee shop which has great food and coffee. Also on Walnut Street, Italian Villiage has set up shop. A nice, new chinese restaurant came into town last month and is in the shopping plaza with the town hall. Also, beside of the Comfort Inn, a new Bellacino's and Bella Creamery along with some small boutiques opened in a beautiful, quaint shopping center. There are some new apartments down by the pharmacy school on Slate Creek. They are going for around 900 a month. The people are warm, friendly, and welcoming. And since the law school got accredited last month, some much needed economic stability has come to the area. The good news is that if you have a house to sell, you won't have much trouble getting rid of it. Coal miners are still having it rough and black lung and rock dust cases are plentiful. Drug abuse is prevalent as is the number of people on disability. Teens tend to be a bit more promiscuous than the rest of the nation, which is the one thing that Grundy really needs to work on: instilling a sense of pride and self-worth in our young ones. The town is full of characters and there is never a dull moment. The town library is delightful and has many programs for youth, a wonderful genealogy section and a huge selection of audio books. There are quite a few churches in town. Pastor Howell Scott and his wife Brenda are at the Baptist Church which is right beside of the law school. They moved here with their family from Flordia and have made a great addition to the community. The Catholic Church is very small but full of life. The Methodist Church on Slate Creek is working on a beautiful addition and it is turning out to be magnificent. There are many more churches in the area and most are full of old and young alike. Despite the drug problem in the area, there are absolutely no AA or NA programs around, much less Alanon. The bowling alley closed this past spring. The Little Big Horn is going strong with karaoke on Thursdays and Comedy Night on Fridays. Most of the students stay year round and they are from all parts of the country (the pharmacy school has classes during the summer). For shopping, most people venture out to Richlands and Claypool Hill to the mall. But, the lack of commercial entertainment in Grundy is great because it forces people to entertain in their homes, which they do often. There is never a boring night in Grundy - someone is always having a party or a meeting of some sort. Grundy has wireless internet that most people can access. Life here is pretty good. There is never any traffic; people know your name every where you go; there is an abundance of good food and good friends; and there is always something to do. Hope this helps!
(to alice)i live in grundy now.....i moved away for years and then move back home..........but it sure isn't the same at all......they are moving grundy across the river and tearing all the buildings down.most are already down,the court house will stay but not much else.if i can find the site of the move.i will post it.....my home town too........nada
Chris

Statesville, NC

#4 Sep 14, 2006
I am from Buchanan County. I lived there all my life until 1999 when I moved. A lot of people like us left, but are thinking of going back. Almost overnight, Grundy has made history and is moving at warp speed toward a new future. After being devestated by 9 major flash floods due to the location at the confluence of Levisa River and Slate Creek, the area government entered into a unique revitalization/flood control/road improvement development with the town, state, and national government. The Virginia Dept. of Transportation and the town of Grundy along operating with federal and state and local money, will work together. Grundy will be the first human settlement to literally be moved onto higher ground. Across the Levisa River, a section of mountain was blasted away and a new flat section of land created. An entirely new business district with 18 shops and businesses, apartments, and 3 restaurants will be constructed on this land. The existing downtown will be almost entirely demolished and a levee along with ringwalls and floodgates will be built to protect the historic courthouse area from Slate Creek. On top of the levee, a new and improved US Hwy 460 will be built, along with a new bridge over Slate Creek. Grundy's new business district will become the first town to host a multi-story Wal-Mart with a unique design resting at the top of a 2 story parking structure. Arrayed around the Wal-Mart will be the other shops, restaurants, and businesses along with the residential apartments. This is along with the development of the new University of Appalachia, the new Appalachian School of Law, and the 500 students and families they have brought into the town over the past few years. These new schools have stimulated major construction and new business which are adding to the economy. Apartments are going up all over town, garages are being turned into apartments, and new dorms are sought for the college faculty and students scrambling for a place to live. It is literally a town on the move, with the old Grundy falling down, and the new one rising across the river. I wish my hometown the best.
Chris

Statesville, NC

#5 Sep 14, 2006
Chris wrote:
I am from Buchanan County. I lived there all my life until 1999 when I moved. A lot of people like us left, but are thinking of going back. Almost overnight, Grundy has made history and is moving at warp speed toward a new future. After being devestated by 9 major flash floods due to the location at the confluence of Levisa River and Slate Creek, the area government entered into a unique revitalization/flood control/road improvement development with the town, state, and national government. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Virginia Department of Transportation, and the town, operating with federal, state and local money, will work together. Grundy will be the first human settlement to literally be moved onto higher ground. Across the Levisa River, a section of mountain was blasted away and a new flat section of land created. An entirely new business district with 18 businesses, 3 restaurants, and apartments will be constructed on this land. The existing downtown will be almost entirely demolished and a levee along with ringwalls and floodgates will be built to protect the historic courthouse area from Slate Creek. On top of the levee, a new and improved US Hwy 460 will be built, along with a new bridge over Slate Creek. Grundy's new business district will become the first town to host a multi-story Wal-Mart with a unique design resting at the top of a 2 story parking structure. Arrayed around the Wal-Mart will be the other shops, restaurants, and businesses along with the residential apartments. This is along with the development of the new University of Appalachia, the new Appalachian School of Law, and the 500 students and families they have brought into the town over the past few years. These new schools have stimulated major construction and new business which are adding to the economy. Apartments are going up all over town, garages are being turned into apartments, and new dorms are sought for the college faculty and students scrambling for a place to live. It is literally a town on the move, with the old Grundy falling down, and the new one rising across the river. I wish my hometown the best.
Noticed some errors in the first post, hope this is clearer!
Gene Damron

AOL

#6 Sep 27, 2006
Would like to see someone post an old picture of the town on the web site.
Chris

Statesville, NC

#7 Oct 29, 2006
Gene, I have some photos, but I see no way to post them here. I could post some websites if you like. This man has an old photo of Grundy's Main Street on his business website. http://uncarved.net/paulsboat/boothbranch.htm
Chris

Statesville, NC

#8 Oct 29, 2006
And by the way Gene, go to Google Images and type in Grundy Va just as I typed it here and there you will find a few of the old town, but also a lot of the new town being built.
Jennifer

Richmond, VA

#9 Oct 29, 2006
All of the buildings along the left side of that photo are completely gone now. The old Pure station building and Miner's and Merchant's bank is still on the right along with the Court House. It is so depressing now to see the town I grew up in. The Mountaineer did a very good job at documenting the demolition. Roger Mayhorn also documented the work. I think he is planning to publish it in some form but I'm not sure how. There is a mural on the side of the new Food City (on the site of the old Vansant Elementary) that depicts Buchanan County from the time of the first settlers. Also, many of the houses in Cow Town and Royal City have been raised due to the fact that they are in the flood plain.
Shirley in MD

Washington, DC

#10 Nov 8, 2006
Can anyone give me any information as to when the Wal-mart and/or other new stores will be completed.
It seems to be takina an awful long time to get started in the construction of stores
tattoo girl

Lyburn, WV

#11 Nov 12, 2006
. The Little Big Horn is going strong with karaoke on Thursdays and Comedy Night on Fridays. We're new to this area were born and raised in MD. Where is this place at?????just wondering.Also my gran mom was born and raise in Grundy.I'd love to know where around she lived. Thanks
Chris

Statesville, NC

#12 Nov 12, 2006
tattoo girl-Little Big Horn is just outside of the Deel area. At Grundy, take US 460 East toward Richlands. Go all the way through Grundy, Vansant, and Deel. When you see the Anchor Shopping Center (Peebles, Radio Shack, Dollar General, etc.) go through the stoplight and continue on for a mile or two. Little Big Horn is right on 460 on the right in a little area that looks similar to a cowboy ranch. If you go across the big bridge over Dismal River at Jewell Smokeless Coke Ovens, you've gone too far, but you can't miss it. Hope that helps.
Chris

Statesville, NC

#13 Nov 13, 2006
Shirley-the new town should be under construction sometime this fall. They have had some engineering difficulties that has delayed it. It is taking a bit longer than they thought. I would even suspect next spring before they start.
tattoo girl

Lyburn, WV

#14 Nov 14, 2006
OK, Thanks. I remember passsing it. I thought that it was like an old steak house or some thing. I have never been out after dark around here b4. I live in Paynesville WV.
Every thing is new and diffrent. I dont really know where anything is and I have no friends here I dont know any body. I guess I kinda know unow. hehe
Jarrod

Warren, NJ

#15 Nov 28, 2006
Many of the current residents dislike the changes. I think it will revitalize the area. No, it wont be the same but then again, maybe the town will have a fighting chance of retaining some of its youth instead of watching them leave never to return. I lived there the first 18 yrs of mylife and didnt move back after grad school. Family is still there so I spend the holidays there.

Best people in the world.
Septima

Hattiesburg, MS

#16 Dec 13, 2006
I am currently living in Johnson City, TN and attending ETSU. I recently visited ASL and wish to attend. I picked up some local publications assuming that I would be able to get an idea of housing availability; sadly none of the listing had any rentals listed. Now I am on the web looking and I am having no luck. I grew up in a town about the size of Grundy and I know that a lot of times rentals are just posted somewhere in town. Can anyone give me an idea where I could find a two bedroom and what it would cost? I also need help securing daycare or headstart for my son. Please e-mail me at septimastanley@hotmail.com.
Nora Conover NC

United States

#17 Dec 13, 2006
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Noticed some errors in the first post, hope this is clearer!
I would like to ask Chris if he would contact me at novagirlanew34@yahoo.com, I am from Grundy too and know a few Chris's and was wondering if I know you! I love Grundy but the coal mining gave my dad rock dust and black lung so we moved down here for work. I went to J.M. Bevins, Grundy Jr. High, and Grundy Sr. High also. For a coal mining town I have to say that the people are hard working and very honest. You grew up knowing just about everyone and the teachers at the schools were wonderful. Wish I was a kid again going to the Bowling Alley to hang out!
Nora Conover NC

United States

#18 Dec 13, 2006
nada wrote:
<quoted text>(to alice)i live in grundy now.....i moved away for years and then move back home..........but it sure isn't the same at all......they are moving grundy across the river and tearing all the buildings down.most are already down,the court house will stay but not much else.if i can find the site of the move.i will post it.....my home town too........nada
Hey Nada, are you JJ's sister? This is Nora and I want to find her! Novagirlanew34@yahoo.com
Fivekitten

Buffalo, NY

#19 Dec 20, 2006
I too am interested in the Law School in Grundy.(Not for a couple years though...my kids graduating..) I'd love to know about housing and when the new Walmart is going up. A little worried about flooding? Does anyone homeshcool out there? fivekitten@yahoo.com.
Tiffany

Dyke, VA

#20 Jan 19, 2007
I am currently a student at ASL. In response to your questions on housing, the student services office has a complete list of all the available housing in Grundy. Basically you have to get the list and call the landlords to see what is available. I will just tell you now that if you are coming to school here you better look for a place early, everything is rented by the end of June, so get here in May if you want a good selection. The landlords here really take advantage of the lack of housing for students, they keep the rent high, I am paying $650 for a tiny 2 bedroom townhouse, that is about what you can expect to pay here, everything is between 500-600 basically. My apartment is very nice though and my landlord is great:) The school is wonderful, it is a really small atmosphere and very friendly. Good luck to all of you thinking of coming here, it will take some getting used to if you are used to living in an area with any kind of business presence...there is nothing here and Wal-Mart is taking forever!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grundy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
who is grundys best basketball player of all time (Jan '10) 10 min lived there long ago 29
DRUG testing at walmart (Jul '11) 20 hr Helpful 44
Reverand Jim Hill (Oct '10) Tue angel 52
Earl Cole show Mon Truth will shine 31
Poll Ray Foster or Albert Childress for Sheriff Mon obb 20
A Haunting on Slate Creek May 25 Thankful 18
Classes on dangers of strangers claiming to be ... May 25 ALS 1
More from around the web

Grundy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]