First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jewell

Grundy, VA

#1 Feb 8, 2013
Where did they have layoffs at Jewell and how many got laid off?
Alpha

Grundy, VA

#2 Feb 8, 2013
Did Alpha and Jewell both have layoffs today?
mee

Silver Spring, MD

#3 Feb 8, 2013
Go to www.wvva.com they have details
XYZ

Abingdon, VA

#4 Feb 8, 2013
This is what is posted on WVVA

JEWELL RIDGE VA.(WVVA)- A total have 90 workers have been laid off after SunCoke Energy idles one of its Jewell Smokeless Coal mines.

The idling of Dominion mine 36 was announced Friday morning. a total of 51 company miners and 39 underground contractors are affected.

Dominion mine 36 is located in near Jewell Ridge, in Buchanan County.

In a news release, James M. Mullins, Vice President of Coal Operations for SunCoke Energy, said the layoffs were due to "the significant downturn in the coal market."

Production will continue at the company's four other active Dominion mines.

SunCoke Energy is the parent company of Jewell Coke and Coal Operations.

Following is the full news release from SunCoke:

SunCoke Media Statement

Jewell Restructuring

February 8, 2013

"Like others in our industry, we too have been affected by the significant downturn in the coal market. As a result, we are forced to idle Dominion mine 36 and lay off 51 company miners and 39 underground contractors.

This decision was very difficult and we have worked hard to reduce costs in every other aspect of our coal operations. But the business challenges in the coal industry left us with no choice.

We are continuing production in our four remaining active Dominion mines with a continued focus on what we can control, including managing our costs, optimizing our production and making safety our top priority.

We believe this focus, combined with the actions we have taken today, will help us meet the tough economic challenges we face this year."

-- James M. Mullins, Vice President of Coal Operations, SunCoke Energy, Inc
Unions Needed

Hickory, NC

#5 Feb 8, 2013
It seems to me that too many hard working men are being kicked to the curb due to the bad decisions of management, who should be the ones paying the price. I'd like to see more union involvement in the coal industry to adequately protect these workers.
scab hunters

Grundy, VA

#6 Feb 8, 2013
Alpha laid off 80
The Truth

Grundy, VA

#7 Feb 8, 2013
You can thank Obummer for this! If you voted for him then reap what you sow!
Au Contraire Mon Frere

Jersey City, NJ

#8 Feb 8, 2013
The Truth wrote:
You can thank Obummer for this! If you voted for him then reap what you sow!
While his policies have affected coal used for burning in power plants, the mines owned by Jewell and Alpha are metallurgical coal mines used for making steel. The reason they're doing so bad is because they have horrible leadership and have made bad strategic decisions. For gods sake, SunCoke's CEO was exiled from General Motors. Obama has hurt coal, but the fat cats aren't blameless. There needs to be a complete managerial flushing at these organizations, and new, fresh minds should be brought in.
grundy

Grundy, VA

#9 Feb 9, 2013
its all about money, they lay off for a few days and call them back with a cut in pay. thats what they are doing most places. wait and see....
To te two posters above m

Grundy, VA

#10 Feb 9, 2013
Your both Idiots. Obama and his agenda are what drives the market for any form of energy and they dont want Coal. So yes my friend it is Obama thats bringing the demise to Coal. Alpha is primarily steam by the way since you know so much.
Teco next

Grundy, VA

#12 Feb 9, 2013
Teco is going to lay off a bunch next week.
Au Contraire

United States

#13 Feb 9, 2013
To te two posters above m wrote:
Your both Idiots. Obama and his agenda are what drives the market for any form of energy and they dont want Coal. So yes my friend it is Obama thats bringing the demise to Coal. Alpha is primarily steam by the way since you know so much.
Really, because the last time I checked, most of their mines (excluding Alpha West, and they're not laying off there) were in met coal reserves in PA, WV, and VA. Most of their steam coal mines came in the Massey acquisition, and most of said mines were idled shortly thereafter. Furthermore, much of the met coal is sent overseas, and many of the European and Asian countries are in recessions or economic slow-downs. I acknowledged problems from the current administration, but it isn't the only problem--it's also in the companies' leadership and capital structure. That's why Alpha is currently RESTRUCTURING. I guess you're not smart enough to understand the dynamics of an industry because all you can do is make a blanketed, uneducated, and oft said statement of the current political environment. And even if Alpha does have steam coal reserves, I could give you a dumbed down explanation about the competition coal faces from natural gas. Now get off me, b*itch!
Bum

Red Jacket, WV

#14 Feb 9, 2013
Teco next wrote:
Teco is going to lay off a bunch next week.
Really what makes you so sure of this
Earl

Grundy, VA

#15 Feb 9, 2013
Au Contraire wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, because the last time I checked, most of their mines (excluding Alpha West, and they're not laying off there) were in met coal reserves in PA, WV, and VA. Most of their steam coal mines came in the Massey acquisition, and most of said mines were idled shortly thereafter. Furthermore, much of the met coal is sent overseas, and many of the European and Asian countries are in recessions or economic slow-downs. I acknowledged problems from the current administration, but it isn't the only problem--it's also in the companies' leadership and capital structure. That's why Alpha is currently RESTRUCTURING. I guess you're not smart enough to understand the dynamics of an industry because all you can do is make a blanketed, uneducated, and oft said statement of the current political environment. And even if Alpha does have steam coal reserves, I could give you a dumbed down explanation about the competition coal faces from natural gas. Now get off me, b*itch!
I aint you, but I'd like to be Bitch
Einstien

Grundy, VA

#16 Feb 9, 2013
Au Contraire wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, another educated one whom has the answers to the quandry of our Coal Miners. I agree with Earl, I'd like to be on you also.
Pin

United States

#17 Feb 9, 2013
Funny how the little guys get laid off, yet the higher ups continue to make millions. Seems they never take a hit.
Au Contraire

Monroe, NC

#18 Feb 9, 2013
Pin wrote:
Funny how the little guys get laid off, yet the higher ups continue to make millions. Seems they never take a hit.
I agree 100%. The fat cat managers blame the layoffs on everything but their own shortcomings when they're the ones handing out the pink slips. I hear all the time about six figure salary positions being created for people that couldn't stick their finger up their ass when that salary could feed 5 families. I don't claim to have all the answers, but then again, apparently others don't either. I just don't like seeing a hard working laborer get the boot when someone's daddy gives gets them a job they don't deserve or when some kiss ass rises through the ranks--far exceeding where they really should be when another much deserving person continues to be shit on. I have a feeling that the fuktard calling me an idiot is one of those aforementioned persons.
Loyd

Grundy, VA

#19 Feb 9, 2013
Au Contraire wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree 100%. The fat cat managers blame the layoffs on everything but their own shortcomings when they're the ones handing out the pink slips. I hear all the time about six figure salary positions being created for people that couldn't stick their finger up their ass when that salary could feed 5 families. I don't claim to have all the answers, but then again, apparently others don't either. I just don't like seeing a hard working laborer get the boot when someone's daddy gives gets them a job they don't deserve or when some kiss ass rises through the ranks--far exceeding where they really should be when another much deserving person continues to be shit on. I have a feeling that the fuktard calling me an idiot is one of those aforementioned persons.
And you sound like one of daddys cumdrops that got one of those jobs.
leroy

New Hope, VA

#20 Feb 9, 2013
well all I can say is last one out of grundy turn out the lights. say it aint so but more layoffs are comming. Teco anit doing well at all and the coal trains aint running like they use to watch the railroad traffic look at weller yard. it doesn't look good. Watch the state of the union address when he will disclose the new green energy and for better or worse gun control. seems to be the main concerns in this term.
Au Contraire

United States

#21 Feb 9, 2013
Loyd wrote:
<quoted text>
And you sound like one of daddys cumdrops that got one of those jobs.
So explain to me why it is entirely the president's fault. You can't because you don't know. You are only a parrot that repeats what others say. I'd take your explanation if you could elaborate further. You've probably never been underground in your life--knowing nothing about coal mining or the hard working men (and sometimes women) who perform this demanding occupation. So just sit behind that computer and say "dur, it's obommer's fault".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grundy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Don't fart in church 5 hr Heather Dotson 13
Britt vandyke 8 hr Dennis 7
Corrupt Jail : Southwest Va. Regional Jail in H... (Nov '09) 8 hr Dennis 123
Coleman Brothers 17 hr Anonymous 6
Does anyone know a Cheryl keen that live's up i... 17 hr Just wondering why 4
News Two die in house fire in Grundy, Va. (Apr '10) Fri Victim 89
Greg and Nell Hardin Apr 21 Heather Smith 1

Grundy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance