people living in unhealthy / unsanitary conditions

Posted in the Grundy Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
helplessly concerned

Port Republic, VA

#1 Apr 2, 2011
very concerned about people living in homes. With animals that are permitted to poop and urinate in the floor and the homeowner seems not to notice. Its never cleaned up by the homeowner. The odor will burn your nose when you enter the home
What is wrong?? How can they be helped? Its very unhealthy for the people in the home as well for the animals. This thread is not a joke. They have rotten floors and no one will go in this home to do repairs..any suggestions? Sorry don't tell me to report it, I DID. Was told they have the right to live anyway they choose.. True.. Very True...But they are sick and really need help and have asked for help. I feel so helpless. What would Jesus do?
Compassionate

United States

#2 Apr 2, 2011
Go in and help them clean up. There are many reasons people live this way-untreated depression and mental/drug/alcohol or physical issues could be the blame. Hardly anyone really want to live like that but they can't help themselves. Clean up for them one time, maybe it will help them realize that they do need help and other people are aware of it. Let them know you care by your actions and save your words for your prayers for them.
good luck

Port Republic, VA

#3 Apr 2, 2011
It may be the christain thing to do to assist them. but my experence with people is that you cannot change them. they will keep the animals .....cleaning will do no good. i also think breathing this kind of air is dangerous, you might be the one sick
abc

Grundy, VA

#4 Apr 2, 2011
its their damn business not urs and if ur are a christian u should live ur life and live them the hell alone
Elkhorn Elmer

United States

#5 Apr 2, 2011
another person thinking they can call them self a christian and still bash people on topix.... its their choice to live the way they live, nobody comes to tell you about your habits, im sure the person gets companionship out of their animals, if your such a nice christian person why dont you take on the responsibility to give them company and make sure they are never lonely

What would jesus do? he for sure wouldnt get on topix and bash a person about the way they live.

why dont you pay for em to fix up their house if your so concerned about the well being of this family.

damn idiots
Info

Keen Mountain, VA

#6 Apr 2, 2011
You cannot clean a hoarders house. They will FLIP SHIT. Read up on some mental illnesses before commenting on them.
abc

Grundy, VA

#7 Apr 2, 2011
Elkhorn Elmer wrote:
another person thinking they can call them self a christian and still bash people on topix.... its their choice to live the way they live, nobody comes to tell you about your habits, im sure the person gets companionship out of their animals, if your such a nice christian person why dont you take on the responsibility to give them company and make sure they are never lonely
What would jesus do? he for sure wouldnt get on topix and bash a person about the way they live.
why dont you pay for em to fix up their house if your so concerned about the well being of this family.
damn idiots
yup
ocd

Grundy, VA

#8 Apr 2, 2011
look up obsessive compulsive disorder most people think it is when people over clean or double check doors but it is also very common in people that leave their homes in a mess like you are talking about. if they dont have kids nothing can be done but if they want help they can get it through cumberland but it is really slow but a family doctor can get them to a phycologist and have them help in less than a month so just pray for them. this country is killing its self i was reading an article the other day about depression and mental illness and how it has been on a major rise since electricity was invented and that people should sleep with the electricity off going into their homes and that brains from industrialized countries like ours were compared to people that have no electricity and the parts that casue mental illness was compleatly different there were no damage found in places where there were no electricity. but i wish you the best their are more people that live like that than people realize.
living with it

Oakvale, WV

#9 Apr 22, 2011
my sister in law lives with me, and was diagnosed with bi-polar. My husband,(her brother) was diagnosed a long time ago with OCD. The OCD did not manifest as being overly clean. It manifested as hoarding. My sister in law has the same tendencies- she hoards. She has to spend money and add things to her "inventory". She is also incredibly unsanitary.

This leaves me, a Christian. What to do? How to love? How to live? Was the remainder of my life going to be spent trying to gain order in the home and cleaning up after someone who does not learn?

The answer is yes and no. What would Jesus do? Short of casting something out, I believe He would have the kind of compassion to lay down His life in order to bring them to a higher way of living. That may not manifest in complete order and cleanliness, but it can manifest in peace and calm for their minds, which can often result in the wanting to try. For awhile, it means cleaning, organizing, sorting, setting boundaries, scrubbing, and just doing it. Knowing that I cannot change them.

Helplessly concerned, I can understand your question. How does one help? The sad part is, one cannot change the person or the situation on a permanent basis, but with each moment of compassion you have, and as you have time, you can help them for that moment. They may eventually go back to living the way they do, and it is their choice, whether it is made from a healthy perspective or non-healthy one, it is their choice. The good part is, you would have made a difference for that one moment in their life. And if you could understand mental illness, many sit in the torment or anxiety of their mind continually. One moment in time to bring relief, to bring peace, makes a great deal of difference.

Perhaps the Lord is calling you to sit in a soup kitchen for awhile and observe; then strike up a conversation; then just listen. I needed to understand mental illness and I found myself doing just that. Then I started befriending some. I found their places to be mostly unsanitary - but they weren't asking for my cleaning help. They DID however, appreciate my friendship. That friendship encourages some to pick up their own dustrag. Even if they don't know how to use it well.:-)
meeeeehhhh

San Antonio, TX

#10 Nov 19, 2012
helplessly concerned wrote:
very concerned about people living in homes. With animals that are permitted to poop and urinate in the floor and the homeowner seems not to notice. Its never cleaned up by the homeowner. The odor will burn your nose when you enter the home
What is wrong?? How can they be helped? Its very unhealthy for the people in the home as well for the animals. This thread is not a joke. They have rotten floors and no one will go in this home to do repairs..any suggestions? Sorry don't tell me to report it, I DID. Was told they have the right to live anyway they choose.. True.. Very True...But they are sick and really need help and have asked for help. I feel so helpless. What would Jesus do?
Dear helplessly concerned...I'd have to say you answered your own question with your last statement. So, ask YOURSELF, what would Jesus do? What YOU answer would be THE answer =).. Hope that helps! God Bless you and your family

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#11 Nov 24, 2012
Why hoard hell you cant take it with you lol
Get Real

Grundy, VA

#12 Nov 24, 2012
It has got a name . It is called Lazier than Hel. We know who these people are talking about . She is a lazy filthy living woman that lets things get so nasty that the place has to be condemed. She has destoyed a lot of houses with filth.The whole bunch is stinking bad to the bone.
Related Question

Orangevale, CA

#13 Dec 20, 2012
I was asked to look after someone's pets and house sit while they are out of town on holiday. The house was messy last time I was there but they had recently move in so I excused it. I was told it was alot cleaner this time and was expecting it to be alot cleaner. I was mortified when I walked in. There are numerous cats and it's apparent that they cats have urinated on furiture and boxes. There is no food in the cupboards or fridge. There are full cat boxes scattered about. There is cat feces on the floor in a room that is closed off from the cats so it has been there for a while. I'm just not sure what I can do. I'm very concerned for my friends well being and their health but I don't know if it's right clean it or talk to them about it. I don't believe they see a problem so I don't want to offend them by basically asking why they are living in filth. The smell alone is horrible. This is in an apartment complex and I honestly can't believe the neighbors haven't complained about the odor. I just don't want to be a 'busy body' by upsetting them, but at the same time I'm worried about her health. She has been sick off and on for months, I can see why!It's unsanitary. Thre is no soap in the house that I could find (when trying to wash my hands) and there is no actual trash can.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I just don't know what to do? There are no children in the home but this person does work with children on a daily basis. Should I be concerned for the children she has interaction with?? I've never been in a situation like this and I'm completely at a loss.

Worried in Washington
really yall
#14 May 21, 2013
for you people that think its ok for people to live in filth why dont yall go live with them people? when the peoples home and yard looks like trash and smells so bad the neighbors can smell it then its time to call someone to make them clean up
spider man

United States

#15 May 22, 2013
really yall wrote:
for you people that think its ok for people to live in filth why dont yall go live with them people? when the peoples home and yard looks like trash and smells so bad the neighbors can smell it then its time to call someone to make them clean up
Call the Heath dept.
I8filth

Sakarya, Turkey

#16 Oct 15, 2013
Currently, I am in foreign country and I am suffering from poor sanitation. I have been housed in the most disgusting place I have ever seen in my life. I truly think iris a cultural thing too. When I complained the three feet of mildew and peeling paint , they saw nothing wrong with it!!!!!!! Yeeeeekss
Lady jay

Damascus, VA

#17 Oct 15, 2013
Living with it I feel for you... My husband is bipolar I know all about the stuff and the hoarding and the anger you face for touching it.. I walked away I feel better..I have a nice place for me and my kid.. Glad I left you can't fix people they are who they are!!
oh my

United States

#18 Oct 15, 2013
I have a family member that lives this way. needless to say we don't visit them at their home but they are clean and their clothes are but the house is gross. believe me there is nothing that can be done.
its my daughter so I know she was taught better but because it is a bunch of little dogs she says oh that's not much. it is when you have seven of them and you have not cleaned in a month
Just Gotta Be

Grundy, VA

#19 Oct 15, 2013
18filth,, You have to be at Tammy Horn Engardios place. Her house is so nasty it would gag a maggot The filthy ass POS.
Rebel13

Oakwood, VA

#20 Oct 25, 2013
Yeah LONNIE CHURCH is one of those people and he is a nasty F**k he leaves his needles layin around

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grundy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheerleaders 2 hr cheer 4
Drug dealers 17 hr Oh really 17
Keep your check...Vote Hillary 23 hr Yoooo 16
Leigh Ann Hackney Fri Liz 48
andy andrew lester Thu one of a kind 1
Cell phone Thu Mark 2
Law Suit Against School Board Thu Concerned Citizen 1

Grundy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance