First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned

Elkton, VA

#1 May 31, 2010
Should professionals like teachers be using websites like facebook and displaying pictures of themselves drinking on them?
wendy

Dayton, VA

#2 May 31, 2010
Concerned wrote:
Should professionals like teachers be using websites like facebook and displaying pictures of themselves drinking on them?
I think what a teacher does on their own time is their business. People are way too focused on other peoples lives. As long as they aren't drinking while teaching children or on the job, then I don't see a problem with it. Professionals have a right to a personal life and have the right to post whatever kind of pictures they want. I say focus on your own life and try and be the best person you can be. Treat others how you would like to be treated. Greet everyone with a smile and if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.
Iknow

Orange, VA

#3 May 31, 2010
amen sister!
who was it

AOL

#4 Jun 1, 2010
hmmm greet everyone with a smile, and give the impression that you think you aer better than everyone else and teach your kids that they are better than everyone else.??
wendy

Dayton, VA

#5 Jun 1, 2010
who was it wrote:
hmmm greet everyone with a smile, and give the impression that you think you aer better than everyone else and teach your kids that they are better than everyone else.??
How is being nice and smiling at people giving the impression you think you are better? The only way you can feel that someone is better than you is if you think they are. You are no better than anyone else and no one else is better than you. I was simply saying to live by the Golden Rule. I don't know where you got that from.
Mtn Girl

Roanoke, VA

#6 Jun 1, 2010
Wendy, the best post I have ever seen on this site for any topic. I find that if you smile at people, most times they wll smile back. Why go thru life with a frown on your face when you can just as easily go thru it with s smile? Smiling and smugness are not the same thing--"who was it" needs to start smiling instead of trying to read a crystal ball and telling people what their post "really means".
Remember the old saying--"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". I find if you treat people nice, they will be nice to you too..."who was it" needs to try that or watch the movie Bambi and listen to what Thumper has to say
abc

United States

#7 Jun 1, 2010
I would not think any less of a teacher who has an alcoholic drink and behaves responsibly. But, the teacher needs to realize what it will mean to post photos like that on Facebook. It's not fair that some people will talk about them, that is just the way it is.
I do think that posting things about what goes on at school and comments aimed at specific coworkers is terribly wrong.
old school

Grundy, VA

#8 Jun 1, 2010
The teacher may also want to consider that pictures of this nature ruins their credibility. It is hard to enforce discipline and gain respect when the students have been looking at you being the party animal. So yes you do have the right to post what you wish but you should also consider your reputation. In some cases the teacher may be the role model. I know that puts extra scrutiny on you but it goes with the job.
Think b4 u Speak

Bandy, VA

#9 Jun 1, 2010
old school wrote:
The teacher may also want to consider that pictures of this nature ruins their credibility. It is hard to enforce discipline and gain respect when the students have been looking at you being the party animal. So yes you do have the right to post what you wish but you should also consider your reputation. In some cases the teacher may be the role model. I know that puts extra scrutiny on you but it goes with the job.
Ruins a teacher's credibility, huh? Thank you for your wisdom. Now got away, Moron!
http://bit.ly/9uoR3j
I The Man

Grundy, VA

#10 Jun 1, 2010
Leave them alone and mind ur own business,as long as their teaching the kids sober and teaching discipline than that's all that matters.They have a life too,so leave them alone.
The Woman

Grundy, VA

#11 Jun 2, 2010
I The Man wrote:
Leave them alone and mind ur own business,as long as their teaching the kids sober and teaching discipline than that's all that matters.They have a life too,so leave them alone.
I agree with you. Unless the picture was of them sitting behind their teacher desk, it ain't nobody's business what they do. I'm sure their job ain't no piece of cake.
my opinion

Grundy, VA

#12 Jun 2, 2010
wendy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think what a teacher does on their own time is their business. People are way too focused on other peoples lives. As long as they aren't drinking while teaching children or on the job, then I don't see a problem with it. Professionals have a right to a personal life and have the right to post whatever kind of pictures they want. I say focus on your own life and try and be the best person you can be. Treat others how you would like to be treated. Greet everyone with a smile and if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.
So you it would be alright if teachers were on facebook exposing their genitals, since you say what teachers do on their own time is their own business.

Well I think that teachers should be held to a higher standard because they should be setting a good example and not corrupting the youth.

If they want to be running wild then they should have chosen another profession!
wendy

Quinque, VA

#13 Jun 2, 2010
my opinion wrote:
<quoted text>So you it would be alright if teachers were on facebook exposing their genitals, since you say what teachers do on their own time is their own business.
Well I think that teachers should be held to a higher standard because they should be setting a good example and not corrupting the youth.
If they want to be running wild then they should have chosen another profession!
Do me a favor, don't put words into my mouth. You can't post nude pictures of yourself on Facebook so that wouldn't be an issue. You can come up with any kind of hypothetical situation you want. The question that started this whole conversation was about a teacher posting a picture of themselves drinking.
my opinion

Grundy, VA

#14 Jun 2, 2010
wendy wrote:
<quoted text>
Do me a favor, don't put words into my mouth. You can't post nude pictures of yourself on Facebook so that wouldn't be an issue. You can come up with any kind of hypothetical situation you want. The question that started this whole conversation was about a teacher posting a picture of themselves drinking.
I never "put words in your mouth" I just made a statment!

All you have to do is look at the state of the Buchanan County School System and it should be obvious that there are a number of addicts and perverts that are employed by the Buchanan County School system, teachers dating underage girls and teachers getting busted for selling pills.

Just pretend it's not happening and maybe it will go away, "NOT"!

As I said teachers should be held accountable for their conduct and not have these things covered up, if they don't want to be exposed for what they are then they should have chosen another profession!!!!!!!
personal life ha

Bandy, VA

#15 Jun 2, 2010
Look people, I can see the arguement on both sides here, but let's be honest about it. Yeah your right, what a teacher does with his or her personal life is up to them!! But when your posting pictures of yourself drinking, well...it's not personal anymore now is it?? Your just throwing it out there for everyone to see, and who's likely to see it? The very children you teach. Teachers?? Leave your personal life just that, personal. If you choose to drink, hell I don't care, but don't post it for everyone to see. Geesh, a little common sense goes a long way, apparently some of you have lost it.

Abingdon, VA

#16 Jun 2, 2010
my opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
All you have to do is look at the state of the Buchanan County School System and it should be obvious that there are a number of addicts and perverts that are employed by the Buchanan County School system, teachers dating underage girls and teachers getting busted for selling pills.
As I said teachers should be held accountable for their conduct and not have these things covered up, if they don't want to be exposed for what they are then they should have chosen another profession!!!!!!!
Like your the perfect god creature that has never done anything wrong in their life.
wendy

Quinque, VA

#17 Jun 3, 2010
my opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you most certainly did put words into my mouth with this sarcastic comment:

"So you it would be alright if teachers were on facebook exposing their genitals, since you say what teachers do on their own time is their own business."

Posting pictures of yourself exposing your private parts and a picture of yourself with a drink in your hand are like comparing apples and oranges. I don't agree with you at all when you say:

"Well I think that teachers should be held to a higher standard because they should be setting a good example and not corrupting the youth."

If someone can be corrupted simply by looking at a picture then there are more serious underlying issues. Role models are not all they are chalked up to be. Teachers have a job to do. Teach. Once they are off the clock, they have the right to do whatever they choose do. As long as they aren't harming their students in any way I don't see a problem with it

Having a drink is the equivalent to "running wild". I think this has been blown completely out of proportion. People are too close minded and need to realize that what someone does on their own time is their business. If they were drinking at work then it would by all means be the business of the parents. However, what is done on their own time is not your business. I know plenty of parents who have a pictures of themselves with drinks in their hands. Aren't they setting a bad example for kids also?

It's not like the teacher is saying "Hey kids, c'mon have a drink with me". Surely to God, a teacher has enough to sense to make those types of photos private or at least only viewable by people they have added. Like I said, it's really none of anyones business. Everyone needs to relax and enjoy their life.
wendy

Quinque, VA

#18 Jun 3, 2010
personal life ha wrote:
Look people, I can see the arguement on both sides here, but let's be honest about it. Yeah your right, what a teacher does with his or her personal life is up to them!! But when your posting pictures of yourself drinking, well...it's not personal anymore now is it?? Your just throwing it out there for everyone to see, and who's likely to see it? The very children you teach. Teachers?? Leave your personal life just that, personal. If you choose to drink, hell I don't care, but don't post it for everyone to see. Geesh, a little common sense goes a long way, apparently some of you have lost it.
Why does it matter? If someone wants to drink let them. If someone takes a picture of them doing so, why does it matter? Unless this said teacher was drinking at school while they were teaching I don't see any harm done. I think it's much worse to have a teacher who doesn't do their job and isn't helping children to learn. If the worst thing a teacher does is have a drink off the clock I'd say we're all pretty lucky.
I The Man

Grundy, VA

#19 Jun 3, 2010
wendy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does it matter? If someone wants to drink let them. If someone takes a picture of them doing so, why does it matter? Unless this said teacher was drinking at school while they were teaching I don't see any harm done. I think it's much worse to have a teacher who doesn't do their job and isn't helping children to learn. If the worst thing a teacher does is have a drink off the clock I'd say we're all pretty lucky.
I agree 100% with you.
My opinion

Grundy, VA

#20 Jun 3, 2010
Like wrote:
<quoted text>
Like your the perfect god creature that has never done anything wrong in their life.
I've never put anything on the internet for everyone and their brother to see, and no I never said I was perfect as I'm far from it!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grundy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sad When a Parent Chooses their boyfriend or gi... (Aug '11) 42 min real world 44
randy lester 1 hr knows them 1
She's all I think about 5 hr stillthesame 55
Mary Repult Stacy: Money Laundering charges 6 hr Family thick 19
Courtney n jon 8 hr wondering 1
needs to know 16 hr sam 1
Equality 16 hr Back visiting 28
More from around the web

Grundy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]