Who Did The tax Assessments

Posted in the Grundy Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
What A Mess

Grundy, VA

#1 Feb 24, 2013
Who did the new assessments in buchanan county this year.Some people are getting assessments for land that they do not own. Some are not getting any assessments at all because somebody else got their assessment with the receivers name added on as part owner.
Wondering

Grundy, VA

#2 Feb 24, 2013
I was wondering why my tax assessment had my neighbors name written on there with (Etal) written after their name. Does that mean that they are a owner in the land too?
Not only that

Bristol, VA

#3 Feb 24, 2013
I know someone who had land(it is all mountain, no flat land for a house to sit) valued at 1500 last year and now it is all the sudden 7000. Sounds like a racket to get more taxes to me.
bluduck

Grundy, VA

#4 Feb 25, 2013
Pete Stiltner's ole boy, Jr. Suppose to be gettin votes for next time aint working.
doc holiday

United States

#5 Feb 25, 2013
We are paying for the county's shortfall with no coal severance tax coming in, it's a shame the count can't quit spending when their money is cut, they just make us pay for it
bad land

Grundy, VA

#6 Feb 25, 2013
Worst land in the state of Va and paying the highest land tax. We cant take any more. We may have to join all our friends in Abingdon who had sense enough to get out when the getting was good. Half that bunch working in the court house needs to be gotten rid of or at least cut back to part time. We cant keep paying these $100,000.00 salaries a year for some of them to set there doing nothing.
Want some

Pikeville, KY

#7 Feb 25, 2013
doc holiday wrote:
We are paying for the county's shortfall with no coal severance tax coming in, it's a shame the count can't quit spending when their money is cut, they just make us pay for it
You took the words right out of my mouth,Our Supervisors who like to spend like it grows on trees have to find a way to get a little extra since Coal buisness is down.My house almost doubled from last year.
doc holiday

United States

#8 Feb 25, 2013
Want some wrote:
<quoted text>You took the words right out of my mouth,Our Supervisors who like to spend like it grows on trees have to find a way to get a little extra since Coal buisness is down.My house almost doubled from last year.
Something needs to be done to stop this or the sky's the limit at our expense
Whats this

Grundy, VA

#9 Feb 25, 2013
I got my assessment today and sure enough there is some other owners listed as having an interest in my land. Nobody owns a thing here but me. Nobody is answering the phone to the number listed on these assessments.
BigBlue

Tazewell, VA

#10 Feb 25, 2013
Special Call meeting on Tuesday at 10:00am of the Supervisors to address this BS.
Really

Grundy, VA

#11 Feb 25, 2013
It may be bull sht to the supervisors and I am sure that is the way they will look at the situation. Claiming they are having a meeting to do the right thing is the bull sht here. Their meetings are nothing more than a long break and smart cracking any person who attends as was done in the post above.
concerned

Grundy, VA

#12 Feb 25, 2013
if you haven't done anything to improve your buildings,house or land,how can the tax go up on it instead of down? doesn't material depreciate insead? does the new girl,ruth horn do this stuff in her office? thanks
old and tired

United States

#13 Feb 25, 2013
An old small house that no one lives in that I use for storage went from$7,500 t0 $35,000. I couldn't believe it when I saw the assessment.
incompetency

Pikeville, KY

#14 Feb 25, 2013
Just received my 2013 tax reasssessment. All 3 tracts of my property had the previous owner's name listed as the "legal description"! I understand this has been a problem for many people. Yes, who made this major "screwup"? Incompetency runs rampant in Buchanan County! Now, I and many others have to make an appointment to speak to someone and have this corrected!
Dovie

Port Republic, VA

#15 Feb 25, 2013
Well, well, well. Our leaders let the company that did the reassessment keep working even after they admitted they were unable to finish the job on time. They rushed to git er dun so they wouldn't lose any money and now the incompetency shows. I got a 2013 tax reassessment on some property, land only with no improvements, and the assessed value increased by 250%. Just plain old steep mountainside land with no real timber value and impossible to build on. 250%!!!! How come the value of the land went up so much when the economy is in the tank? I couldn't sell the land for what they've got it assessed if there was twice as much acres. Good grief, this is crazy!!
citizen

Grundy, VA

#16 Feb 25, 2013
Mine almost doubled also. It also has my neighbors name on it. What a load of crap! It is hard enough to make it payday to payday. Also, why do our taxes have to be paid in December? Just in time for heating bills to go up and Christmas time. In my opinion it is because most people will have Christmas for their family and a good dinner, so they put family before taxes. That way when people pay the next month, they collect even more off of penalties and interest. That's what the Government should do, put families first.....all levels of government!!
Contracting Company

Louisa, VA

#17 Feb 25, 2013
I think it was a contracting company out of Lexington that did it.
They should let individuals that are familiar with the area they live in do it. When Jay assessed the land, I think he was fair about it and knew everyone so there were no mixups.
Thersites

Port Republic, VA

#18 Feb 25, 2013
Contracting Company wrote:
I think it was a contracting company out of Lexington that did it.
They should let individuals that are familiar with the area they live in do it. When Jay assessed the land, I think he was fair about it and knew everyone so there were no mixups.
Blue Ridge Mass Appraisal based in Stauton, Virginia. They've created a real hornet's nest of controversy in many other areas including Augusta, Gloucester and Bath counties.

http://swacgirl.blogspot.com/2009/03/blue-rid...

Also, http://www.dailyprogress.com/newsvirginian/ne...

These guys seem to stir up trouble wherever they go. One problem is a misunderstanding of how they conduct their reassessments. They use a mass appraisal approach, not a fee appraisal approach.

http://www.wytheco.org/documents/WytheCounty2...

Lawsuits, citizen uprisings, lions and tigers... oh my.

Congratulations Buchanan County, you've just been screwed. Mass appraisal be damned, more like mass hallucinations if they seriously expect us to accept their reassessment values.
Question

Louisa, VA

#19 Feb 25, 2013
Whose bright idea was it to hire these folks? And, at what promotions, promises did they make at the taxpayers expense and the landowners. Must have been a bargain of a deal and there must be gold in these hills, you would think. Don't you think the taxpayers should have some say other than a small group of men that always seem to get everything wrong that they do. These things should be voted on before the politicians just give the command to do these crazy things.
The other board

Grundy, VA

#20 Feb 25, 2013
Question wrote:
Whose bright idea was it to hire these folks? And, at what promotions, promises did they make at the taxpayers expense and the landowners. Must have been a bargain of a deal and there must be gold in these hills, you would think. Don't you think the taxpayers should have some say other than a small group of men that always seem to get everything wrong that they do. These things should be voted on before the politicians just give the command to do these crazy things.
this board did not hire them the past board hired them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grundy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did Anderson Cooper Get Fired From CNN (Feb '13) 13 hr Jessie james 19
Is There A Dictator In The White House 19 hr Middle Ground 41
Matt Shortridge (Oct '09) 21 hr Lol 9
chubby red/pink haired girl with tattoos 22 hr Who cares 3
Rednecks and Bunkers Sun Donnie Boy 1
John Ramey and his wife or whatever Samantha Sat Funny 1
shell mart sold Sat tlo 7

Grundy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance