unsolved murders
1more

Grundy, VA

#221 Feb 11, 2012
How about Tina Stiltner at the Grundy Jail. What year did her death take place? I have heard so many different storys but they all have one thing in common and thats the people who killed her.
About Tina

Grundy, VA

#222 Feb 11, 2012
I think Tina was murdered in Jan. 2002 in the Grundy Jail. Autopsy showed she had been strangled to death with a cord. As it turned out it was the draw string that was around the bottom of her coat. The cord was found that day in David Hicks pocket. He was the jailer that day. He was acquited of the crime and also received a promotion at the Haysi jail.
pitiful

Grundy, VA

#223 Feb 11, 2012
About Tina wrote:
I think Tina was murdered in Jan. 2002 in the Grundy Jail. Autopsy showed she had been strangled to death with a cord. As it turned out it was the draw string that was around the bottom of her coat. The cord was found that day in David Hicks pocket. He was the jailer that day. He was acquited of the crime and also received a promotion at the Haysi jail.
That badge sure did give him alot of power.
lance

Grundy, VA

#224 Feb 20, 2012
i think that the william hale incident is really mysterious.how can a man cut his ears off himself before commiting suicide?Iwent to vocational school with him 89-90.this case has STINK all over it.as for a previous post i knew chris ward very well he was a great friend of mine.he and i used to run around together alot . we used to play video games at the HHH arcade alot.he never spoke of his mother.neither did i ask.i do know that only a week or so earlier he had just got back from seeing his dad in tenn.before he was killed on his bike at the mouth of smith br.i miss him alot.
little joe

Oakwood, VA

#225 Feb 29, 2012
So who killed Ivan Estep?
Wondering

Pikeville, KY

#226 Mar 1, 2012
What about SHonna Ratliff that graduate from GHS in 2001? I went to school with her - she was a good person. I never knew what happened to her for sure- heard she was found in a car under strange circumstances.
too wondering

Port Republic, VA

#227 Mar 5, 2012
the book about roger coleman is still selling on amazon.'' may god have mercy'' heres the link.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12...
Tarheel

Grundy, VA

#228 Mar 5, 2012
little joe wrote:
So who killed Ivan Estep?
I think his killer was convicted.
oakwood mom

Raven, VA

#229 Sep 14, 2013
Jennifer Matney was not an overdose,I was her best friend ad cousin by marriage.They shot her up with a bad batch of heroin . Then raped and sodomized then when she started to go into convulsions Jeff shorts wife said to put her in the freezer.It was2 boys from Chicago and jermey whinchester and jeff short.They went and tried to hide her car.The next morning they put her in a tub of hot water then wrapped her in an electric blanket and threw her out at the hospital.Her body temp was only 82 degrees . Her liver and kidneys shut down they worked on her for an hour and a half and got her back then put her on life support, where she tried to fight for her life, and in less than 2 weeks she died.She did party but she hated people who shot up.We begged her not to go that day, But she did and now she is gone and her grandfather grieved himself to death over her.Her brothers were in denial.A the funeral she still had freezer burn on her face she was a beautiful girl and she didn't look like herself at all.She was a talented artist and we modeled together a southern style modeling agency in TN.She was Sassy and fiesy and full of spunk and was taken way to soon.The cops never even tried to charge anyone because they said where drugs was involved it wasn't worth pursuing which is bull, A loss of any lifeno matter what the circumstances is worth pursuing!! She was young still in her teens,so of course she liked to have fun, ut she didn't deserve to die!! The boys from Chicago one was found dead in an hotel room, the othr found beside the road with his pants took off and folded up under his head.Jeff short went to jail over unrelated drug charges, and jermey whincheter got to live a normal life in TN. which isn't fair.Jennifer wanted to fall in love and have kids to she didn't get to so they shouldn't have either.But that just shows how Mayberry our law is, backwoods bull sh*t.and as for CODY MATNEY I talked to him he day her left togo to the club he was meeting a girl at confetties the club in Bristol.They have him on camera arguing with a male that approached him over the girl.It shows it happening again in the parking lot, they walked to where the camera couldn't see,It showed a man trying to get him in a car then again went off camera, he was never seen again.His truck was locked up with his wallet and check book still in it.I don't know if they ever questioned the guys picking on him or the girl he met out there.But I do know he was a good guy and this is so sad, I still wonder when I drive by his house on slate creek and see his broken hearted dad Tony outside what happened to him and why didn't he law try harder.His dad arranged some rocks on the hill beside their house that spell his name cody real big over the years you can barely make out what I says now.His dad got his truck back from the law when they were done looking thru it and Tony parked it and hasn't moved it since.The man found in the garage was towards big rock area,and the man tied and burned in his home was Dwayne in jewell valley, He owned a big time dealer off of white or brown mountain money and was sending message to the mans friend who was trying to take their business. They tied him up and cut his hands and feet off then burned him and his apartment up.Dusty yates mom Tammy that is still unsolved and nothing about the crime makes since on that one.But we have a few ideas but they aren't proven.But we just need to pray that even though their cases remain unsolved or a mystery that they are still resting in peace and that their families have began the healing process God please be with these families as they try to deal with the loss and not havin justice or just not knowing, please give them and the departed peace.
really

Grundy, VA

#230 Sep 15, 2013
I agree that Buchanan County does not bother to investigate the murders of those who are known to them. If they believe the victim was a drug user or dealer, or a criminal of any sort they simply do not investigate. They don't care.
What needs to happen is this. The VSP should bring in an investigator from somewhere way out of this area, to do nothing but investigate (and hopefully close) all of the unsolved murders in this county.
It is done in other places, why not here? Of course, in other places, the homicide detectives don't care what the victim has done. Regardless of their actions, they were still human beings who had mothers and others that loved them, and noone else has the right to take the life of another. No matter who or what the murdered person was in life, now they are a murder victim who deserves justice.
I know

Troutman, NC

#231 Sep 15, 2013
I heard the fire that killed Danny was from cooking Meth. He tried to burn my Dad's house down one time and almost killed him and I guess Karma caught up to him.
id like to know wrote:
<quoted text>i think it was a woman that set the fire cause there was only 3 wemon there and him at least thats what i heard and i would like to know to
ohh my

Harrisonburg, VA

#232 Sep 16, 2013
jennifer was a beautiful girl. I went to school with her all my life and i she did not shoot up and hated anything to do with needles, so i know jeremy winchester killed her, and i havent seen him since. I think bub had something to do with tams murder, and i dont know why nothing has been done for cody.
no justice here

Pikeville, KY

#233 Sep 16, 2013
too wondering wrote:
the book about roger coleman is still selling on amazon.'' may god have mercy'' heres the link.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12...
i know that a few years ago before leaving office of governor, mark warner ordered more dna testing from a lab in canada on the samples left in this case.
however, i believe and i will go to my grave believing that the dna samples taken from roger keith coleman, in the 1980s had been tampered with by the sheriffs office in grundy county.
these samples were taken before dna testing was readily available and had been stored in a regular refrigerator for a long time in the grundy county sheriffs office.
it is a known fact that they had it in for coleman from the beginning due to the girls father in law being a former deputy.
it is also a known fact that the girl and her husband had been having issues with a neighbor for a long time before her death.
and this same neighbor was rumored to have bragged about the killing.
i still believe to this day that colemans dna was planted and that he went to his grave an innocent man.
no justice here

Pikeville, KY

#234 Sep 16, 2013
Rebel Fan

Clay City, KY

#235 Sep 16, 2013
Not sure about the year but guessing it was in the late 60's. I saw a old clipping from the Va Mountaineer newspaper about a man in his 20's being hung at Whitewood. His murder was never solved.
Rebel Fan

Clay City, KY

#236 Sep 16, 2013
no justice here wrote:
<quoted text>i know that a few years ago before leaving office of governor, mark warner ordered more dna testing from a lab in canada on the samples left in this case.
however, i believe and i will go to my grave believing that the dna samples taken from roger keith coleman, in the 1980s had been tampered with by the sheriffs office in grundy county.
these samples were taken before dna testing was readily available and had been stored in a regular refrigerator for a long time in the grundy county sheriffs office.
it is a known fact that they had it in for coleman from the beginning due to the girls father in law being a former deputy.
it is also a known fact that the girl and her husband had been having issues with a neighbor for a long time before her death.
and this same neighbor was rumored to have bragged about the killing.
i still believe to this day that colemans dna was planted and that he went to his grave an innocent man.
I disagree. I watched Coleman's interview on the Today Show the day before he was put to death. He was trying to talk like a lawyer. He knew he was going to be put to death the following morning. I keep thinking why doesn't this "innocent man" just forget about all the "legal talk" and just look into the camera and say. I did not murder anyone. I am innocent please believe me. I didn't do it. Please don't kill me for something I didn't do. But nothing like that. Just legal talk the entire interview. It was so fake!
no justice here

Pikeville, KY

#237 Sep 16, 2013
Rebel Fan wrote:
<quoted text> I disagree. I watched Coleman's interview on the Today Show the day before he was put to death. He was trying to talk like a lawyer. He knew he was going to be put to death the following morning. I keep thinking why doesn't this "innocent man" just forget about all the "legal talk" and just look into the camera and say. I did not murder anyone. I am innocent please believe me. I didn't do it. Please don't kill me for something I didn't do. But nothing like that. Just legal talk the entire interview. It was so fake!
i believe it was because he knew his fate, the grundy sheriff had it in for him from day one, have you read the book?
have you read news articles and interviews from that time?
can be found in news archives.
i dont believe roger killed that girl, or that he was even at her house.
i am totally convinced that the blood samples and semen, etc was planted and mixed in with her samples that were left in storage, under the guard of only the grundy sheriff office.
brown eyes

Roanoke, VA

#238 Sep 17, 2013
It was told investigators traced Bobby Dotson's killer to Micheal Rell's doorstep and the family dropped the investigation. What about the nurses skeletal remains found in the pine trees above VP 1 Island Creek coal company. Did they ever solve that one?
autumn

Pikeville, KY

#239 Sep 17, 2013
there are some in pike county that are also unsolved, like the hess woman from up around the grapevine/fishtrap area, she was missing forever then her body was found in the hills not too far from her home.
which was very odd considering a reward had been out for her whereabouts and people supposedly had been searching for her.
it was rumored her husband had something to do with it, but i dont think anyone was ever really investigated.
i guess cops didnt wanna waste tax money on him.
also, crystal branham, who is only considered missing, but its been years and nothing.
Un Real

Hermitage, TN

#240 Sep 17, 2013
no justice here wrote:
<quoted text>i believe it was because he knew his fate, the grundy sheriff had it in for him from day one, have you read the book?
have you read news articles and interviews from that time?
can be found in news archives.
i dont believe roger killed that girl, or that he was even at her house.
i am totally convinced that the blood samples and semen, etc was planted and mixed in with her samples that were left in storage, under the guard of only the grundy sheriff office.
I believe you are the biggest dumb ass I know, planted evidence, what rock did you climb out from under, you apparently are one of Rogers friends, what few he had. You need to get a life you DA. How about the case on Hobbs Branch was that evidence planted. You can't fix stupid so you need to crawl back under the rock that you came from.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grundy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grundy made the Washington Post!!! 13 hr Wondering 16
Pregnant at GHS (Mar '12) 19 hr LOUIS 65
gay bar coming to grundy 22 hr LOUIS 4
Dorothy Justus has 2 be a RAT Wed Facts 2
Jimmy Justice Wed Chris 1
Buchanan County is dying Wed Hmm 22
Shelia sutherland that works at harman coastal,... Wed Nymp 5

Grundy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance