Who was the best football player

Posted in the Grundy Forum

Like to know

United States

#1 Oct 11, 2009
Who has been the best football player that Grundy High has had?
lol

Dayton, VA

#2 Oct 11, 2009
it has to be cody j. or ben rife jordan ellis suck ball..
what

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Oct 12, 2009
I didn't know Grundy even had a football team?
oldschoolgrundy

Nicholasville, KY

#4 Oct 12, 2009
Grundy did have a football team,and a football program!

I don't really remember anyone from the 60's or 70's, but here are a few

80's- Junior Coleman, Craig Plymal, Cary Perkins

90's- Tommy Crigger, Luke Owens, David Scammell, Jason Copenhaver, Brian Coleman, Anothony Church, Scott Justus, Billy Altizer, and the Rest of the 95-96 teams. lol

2000-2005- Albert Childress, The Marcum Boys, Justin Hipps, Luke Dales, Jake Stacy, Tyde Prater, Jimmy Penley, Matt Lee, A.W. Looney, Colby Owens

I'm sure there are more. Many, many more that I'm leaving out
wave

Nicholasville, KY

#5 Oct 12, 2009
Qb Crigger
RB J Hipps, G Marcum
FB L Dales
WR. B. Altizer, G Clevenger
TE B.D. Robinson
OL A. Church, A. Childress, L Owens
ATH C. Perkins
Honorable mention D. Scammell, Brain Coleman, Craig Pymal, S Justus, T Rutherford
92 wreckin crew

Grundy, VA

#6 Oct 13, 2009
Cary Perkins is hands down #1. Nobody else has an arguement, Maybe Luke Owens because he played D1 and was 2nd team all ACC, but Cary perkins recieved the Dudley Award his senior year of college. The Dudley Award goes to the top college football player in the state of Va. He also beat out a running back from UVA for the award that you may have heard of....... TIKI BARBER. As for the rest of the players mentioned, they were all good high school players. I would change your line-up a little, but I think as with most all star selections the selections reflect the age of the "committee".
ILB

Nicholasville, KY

#7 Oct 13, 2009
Patrick crumpton was the best line backer i have ever played against
oldwave

AOL

#8 Oct 13, 2009
Craig Plymal is the only all american to come from grundy, but don't forget Luke Owens, he played for Va Tech
thinking back

Nicholasville, KY

#9 Oct 14, 2009
Theo Justus, Bronson Brown, Andy Stiltner, Josh Ratliff, Aaron and Garon Marcum, and a few more from that time!... Wish i could see these boys on the field just one more time!!.. Oh and Jimmy Ashby!
I know

Morehead, KY

#10 Oct 18, 2009
I think the Marcum;s Boys was the best that came from Grundy.They both had the heart to give all they had.Sad that no one there was willing to help them go past the Grundy field.I know they could had went far if the coaches their would had tried to help them get into a good collage.LIke most places if you don't have money just forget it I guess.

Since: Sep 09

Bridgetown, Barbados

#11 Oct 18, 2009
92 wreckin crew wrote:
Cary Perkins is hands down #1. Nobody else has an arguement, Maybe Luke Owens because he played D1 and was 2nd team all ACC, but Cary perkins recieved the Dudley Award his senior year of college. The Dudley Award goes to the top college football player in the state of Va. He also beat out a running back from UVA for the award that you may have heard of....... TIKI BARBER. As for the rest of the players mentioned, they were all good high school players. I would change your line-up a little, but I think as with most all star selections the selections reflect the age of the "committee".
What year did Cary graduate from college? I know he coached me in summer league baseball with I was 12. And I also know that Tiki Barber graduated from UVA in 95 or 96. I guess the math just isn't adding up to me for him to compete with Barber for an award. However I do agree with you that Cary is the best to come out of Grundy. Not only was he a skilled player but didn't he have to read the lips of the quarterback to get the plays. I know he had hearing aids before but I heard somewhere that he could not wear them during games.

Since: Sep 09

Bridgetown, Barbados

#12 Oct 18, 2009
Ok I did some research Cary won it in 92 and Barber won it in 96. Maybe the running back from UVA you was thinking about was Terry Kirby? No big deal Cary is still the best in my opinion.
AVID FAN OF 1980

Nicholasville, KY

#13 Oct 19, 2009
92 WRECKING CREW....and BRAD 21.... Both of you have good stats I AGREE with both.
Areupeoplenutsor stupid

Springfield, VA

#14 Jun 7, 2013
How on earth can anyone argue for another player at Grundy other than Cary? Cary was incredible and his senior year of college, he was an All American. The guy completely dominated at his level in High School. I know, he got into some trouble years later out of High School and many don't get for him. I get that and that's fair, but my God, you are either blind or never watched football in SWVA if you think anybody else was as kid as Cary. With that said, you do have to make an argument for Luke Owens. He was a 3 star out of High School, started at Tech, and second team all ACC. It takes talent to do that. Finally, I'm surprised nobody mentioned JK, Cary's older brother. He was one he** of a player and in my opinion, he's in Grundy's top 10 of all time. He wasn't the player Cary was, but top 10 in Grundy history? Yes, I think JK was.
how about this

Jewell Ridge, VA

#15 Jun 9, 2013
Who likes those little girls the most at Grundy high o that is easy
george

Grundy, VA

#16 Jun 10, 2013
wes tindell 1981 whatever happened to that dude?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grundy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
preacher gets high (Dec '13) 42 min yes 13
randy lester 47 min yes 2
William Vance (Dec '12) 2 hr star dancer 27
Matt Shortridge (Oct '09) 5 hr jess 8
Earl Cole show 6 hr Amazed 23
Mary Repult Stacy: Embezzlement - Mt. Mission S... 6 hr star dancer 20
Jaclyn Kersy (in former Drug round-up) back in ... (Jul '14) 13 hr to the Vance family 21
More from around the web

Grundy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]