where do cabbage seed come from

where do cabbage seed come from

Posted in the Grundy Forum

prayers

Nicholasville, KY

#1 May 12, 2009
I know cabbage seeds come from a cabbage.
How do they form in order to be harvested?
lol

Nicholasville, KY

#2 May 12, 2009
r u really this bored? lol....anyways, i'd say when u leave the cabbage in the ground a stalk grows from the center that has the seeds in it.

“Forum_Troll!”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#3 May 12, 2009
prayers

Nicholasville, KY

#4 May 12, 2009
lol wrote:
r u really this bored? lol....anyways, i'd say when u leave the cabbage in the ground a stalk grows from the center that has the seeds in it.

I'm not really that bored just curious
prayers

Nicholasville, KY

#5 May 12, 2009
Forum_Troll wrote:
http://answers.yahoo.com/quest ion/index?qid=20070523182937AA NMURl
That just tells me i can buy seeds.
From Google

Nicholasville, KY

#6 May 12, 2009
Cabbage seeds can only be harvested in certain parts of the United States due to the climate. It takes 2 years to get the seeds. The first year, the heads grow as normally seen in the stores. They then let them sit all winter, not letting them freeze. In the spring again, they cut a slit in the top of the head and the plant then flowers. The seeds are harvested from there like any other regular flower.

Visit this website... it tells about them
http://www.hungrymonster.com/FoodFacts/Food_F...

“Forum_Troll!”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#7 May 12, 2009
aparantly you didn't read it

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli are all similar plants. The fruit is just different. If you look at a broccoli top from the grocer, you can see the buds. If the broccoli is left for too long, the top may turn yellow and you can see the open flowers. Cabbage and cauliflower will do the same type of thing if left too long in the garden. After the flowers drop off, the plant will produce seeds. These seeds are then harvested by shaking the top of the stem.
Margaret

United States

#8 May 12, 2009
I never knew that it took two years.....I thought it went to seed at the end of the growing season if not picked. Interesting.
prayers

Nicholasville, KY

#9 May 12, 2009
Margaret wrote:
I never knew that it took two years.....I thought it went to seed at the end of the growing season if not picked. Interesting.
I have enjoyed all the comments
I just knew my Mom used to sow cabbage seed and I just got to wondering how they formed.
catherune E

Caledonia, IL

#10 Apr 28, 2011
I'm glad others have asked the same question. I asked northern formers and they didn't know either.
catherune E

Caledonia, IL

#11 Apr 28, 2011
It's good to know otheers have been curious. I asked several northern farmess and they didn't know. It's good trivia and another example of the joy of knowing plalnlt life.
prepare

Grundy, VA

#13 May 8, 2011
catherune E wrote:
It's good to know otheers have been curious. I asked several northern farmess and they didn't know. It's good trivia and another example of the joy of knowing plalnlt life.
This must be a topic on a lot of minds! My husband and I were just discussing the very same thing last week! We googled it that night, and I, too, was surprised to see that it took two years!
With the price of food skyrocketing, growing a garden is one thing many more people should (and many are!) be learning about and doing!
I am also very glad to see something constructive on topix for a change!
the store

Grundy, VA

#14 May 9, 2011
I'd say either the store or most likely the CABBAGE itself.
agree

Bandy, VA

#15 Aug 19, 2011
I sgree with prepare.
rainbow smurf

Hillsborough, NJ

#16 Oct 3, 2011
i'm glad i'm the only one that thinks of weird stuff like that
helen

Glenrothes, UK

#17 Jun 25, 2012
prepare wrote:
<quoted text>
This must be a topic on a lot of minds! My husband and I were just discussing the very same thing last week! We googled it that night, and I, too, was surprised to see that it took two years!
With the price of food skyrocketing, growing a garden is one thing many more people should (and many are!) be learning about and doing!
I am also very glad to see something constructive on topix for a change!
I have just started growing my own with all the things they are doing to the food and we don't know what they are grown in I was very curious too, we are not bored as some people think just wishing to learn these things to gain more experience regards

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grundy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hurley's Rebel Flag (Dec '09) 1 hr lol 57
Earl Cole Against Rebel Flag 1 hr Not an Earl Fan 1
Fireworks 5 hr Bobo 1
She's all I think about 8 hr Wings 113
unsolved murders (Jun '09) 23 hr Pearlsandpintos 256
another wreck (Dec '08) Thu Calling you out 88
Branham Sales Wed Shopper 1
More from around the web

Grundy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE