Does anyone know the gunman in yester...

Does anyone know the gunman in yesterday's shooting?

Posted in the Grundy Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Prayers

Richlands, VA

#1 Mar 14, 2011
I've heard it was Randy Newberry. I'm from Grundy and wasn't sure who he was. I knew all of the Deputy's that were shot. My prayers go out to all of the families.
Really

Blacksburg, VA

#2 Mar 14, 2011
Try looking at an actual news website instead of topix if you really want to know.
Please Pray For All

Rupert, WV

#3 Mar 14, 2011
Just wondering what this guys problem was.Depression, snapped,or just downright mean? Does anyone know him,or of him? This just seems like an ambush type of attack. Sounds like the police didnt have a chance.Im sure they probally didnt have a clue,as to what they were going in on. I mean,who would ever think this would have happened,in such small town? This is something that you would hear of happening in the bigger Cities.I feel so bad for all familys involved.This is a shock,a shame,and a very hurtful and Cruel for all the family,and friends to have to go through.All because of ONE person being so cruel and heartless. It makes you wonder what this guy was doing with a high powered rifle,with a scope,and someone mentioned he even had a tripod.Sounds like hes planned this up,just dont sound right.And so unfair to a lot of people. Just wished he would have done away with hisself,and let the others live their lives.Please,everybody keep praying for the family and friends of all these people involved.God Bless you,And God Bless The Familys,of the deceased loved ones.
Richlands Gal

Cedar Bluff, VA

#4 Mar 14, 2011
I didn't know him either. My heart goes out to his family as well. I heard that he was walking down the road and was on a cell phone, when he was shot and killed. I don't know if there is any truth to this, but that's what I heard.
curious

Grundy, VA

#5 Mar 14, 2011
Richlands Gal wrote:
I didn't know him either. My heart goes out to his family as well. I heard that he was walking down the road and was on a cell phone, when he was shot and killed. I don't know if there is any truth to this, but that's what I heard.
I heard,he was in someones yard on the phone with his wife when he again pulled a gun on police and was,seconds later, shot and killed.
curious

Grundy, VA

#6 Mar 14, 2011
The shooter was Randy Gilbert Newberry of Vansant.
Life

Grundy, VA

#7 Mar 14, 2011
Deputy Sheriff Arthur Owens Jr.
died in buchanan Va of a heart attack in 1975 so how long has it really been if ever that we have had a officer killed on duty. god bless them. and i also want everyone to pray for mr. newberrys family seems like so many people are at a low point these days. and he was probaley a victim of mental illness or drugs.
wondering

Honaker, VA

#8 Mar 14, 2011
Someone reported that a VSP sharp shooter from Wise was actually the person who took him out. Is there any truth to that stroy?
curious wrote:
<quoted text>I heard,he was in someones yard on the phone with his wife when he again pulled a gun on police and was,seconds later, shot and killed.
wondering

North Tazewell, VA

#9 Mar 14, 2011
wondering wrote:
Someone reported that a VSP sharp shooter from Wise was actually the person who took him out. Is there any truth to that stroy?<quoted text>
Where did you get this information?????
wondering

Honaker, VA

#10 Mar 14, 2011
through the gossip hotline. You know there is a lot of gossip abou this incident. That is why i was asking. Wanted to know if it was true.
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get this information?????
Question

Bristol, VA

#11 Mar 14, 2011
Sgt. Lowe said at news conference today they were not sure who shot Newberry, or if he was shot by several policemen.
WCYB Post

Ransom, KY

#12 Mar 14, 2011
A Buchanan County community is mourning this evening after having four deputies shot in the line of duty. Two of the deputies were killed.

The first two deputies who responded to a report of theft at a salvage business near Vansant were shot from a distance by a high powered rifle.

When backup arrived, two more deputies were shot and killed.

Here's what we've learned today. Deputies Neil Justus and Billy Stiltner were shot to death by 52-year-old Randy Newberry. Newberry also shot Eric Rasnake and Shane Charles. Rasnake is still hospitalized in Bristol and Charles is being treated in Kingsport.

After the four deputies were shot and a brief chase through the woods the suspect, Randy Newberry, pointed a gun at additional deputies and Virginia State Police officers and he was shot to death.
consernd

Bluefield, VA

#13 Mar 14, 2011
they must have pissed him off bad more 2 this than we all know that why we r not being told the whole story just what they want us 2 know nothing they will never tell the real truth randy had some problems watched his parents shot 2death when he was just a child
conserned too

Pounding Mill, VA

#14 Mar 14, 2011
consernd wrote:
randy had some problems watched his parents shot 2death when he was just a child
Please tell us more about this man. Why were his parents shot to death and who shot them? Why was he there when it happened?
Anon

Des Moines, IA

#15 Mar 14, 2011
Went to school with Randy. This is sad. Its been more than 20 years, but can say that he was a very sweet person. When I knew him there was never a violent nature about him.

I suspect he may have lost his job, down on his luck, who God knows, but he lost it! This is a horrible crime. Please think of his family in your prayers, too.
Pinkerton

Murfreesboro, TN

#16 Mar 14, 2011
Yeah none of this really makes sense at all. There has to be more to the story about his vehicle being impounded at the Salvage Yard. I find it hard to believe that he would come in and try to steal his car back and supposedly the owner had him locked inside the yard, and no words were exchanged? No visible weapons or threats? How did the guy get from the salvage yard into the woods unnoticed by the owner prior to the police arriving?

In any case, it's a terrible tragedy for the Officers involved, both wounded and deceased. They didn't deserve this and were doing their jobs in the line of duty. I would just like to know more about this because it seems the Officers walked into an ambush and anything that happened previous to it might help shed some light on the whole thing and perhaps prevent future tragedies like this from occurring.
Anon

Des Moines, IA

#17 Mar 14, 2011
Anon again!

Odd that a few weeks ago I found picture of a get together that he was in (28 years ago)....This is sad all around!!

We will never know what was going on in Randy's mind. If he had his car repossessed, he was most likely unemployed; who knows as I am only thinking of what could have happened to him.

There is no excuse! Just trying to understand the psyche of a person that loses it and the result is other innocent people die.

Prayers go out to everyone in the community, esp. the families and the Sheriff's department.

God Bless!
Anon

Des Moines, IA

#18 Mar 14, 2011
Pinkerton,
This is how I am thinking. I am trying to look deep inside the psyche. I am sure the profilers (FBI, etc.) will investigate to help them understand how this happened.

I think there is more to the story. Something between him and Roger Daniels. Otherwise, why would Roger block him in the salvage yard?

A lot of questions.....
Pinkerton

Murfreesboro, TN

#19 Mar 14, 2011
Anon wrote:
Pinkerton,
This is how I am thinking. I am trying to look deep inside the psyche. I am sure the profilers (FBI, etc.) will investigate to help them understand how this happened.
I think there is more to the story. Something between him and Roger Daniels. Otherwise, why would Roger block him in the salvage yard?
A lot of questions.....
That's kind of where I'm drawing some questions. It's possible that the guy snuck in and Daniels saw him, called police, and just waited. But I have a hard time believing that Daniels wouldn't have saw the guy leaving the yard, especially after he locked him in the yard. I think after calling police most people would have tried to keep an eye on him so that he couldn't have surprised them by breaking into the business itself. Did Daniels know the guy from previous dealings? Did he talk to him at all during the event? It just seems like such an escalation to go from trying to steal a car back to gunning down four police officers in an ambush.

There is no excuse at all for what happened and I think what a lot of us are trying to understand is how the incident got to the point it did. Maybe the Newberry guy was just plain crazy. Maybe he was dealing with mental health issues and maybe other personal problems and snapped. One doesn't just wake up one morning and decide to shoot police officers without something being terribly wrong somewhere along the line.

Whatever the case may be, I hope we get the full story and can learn something from it. The officers who gave their lives in the service to the community deserve as much.
Richlands Gal

Cedar Bluff, VA

#20 Mar 14, 2011
Anon wrote:
Anon again!
Odd that a few weeks ago I found picture of a get together that he was in (28 years ago)....This is sad all around!!
We will never know what was going on in Randy's mind. If he had his car repossessed, he was most likely unemployed; who knows as I am only thinking of what could have happened to him.
There is no excuse! Just trying to understand the psyche of a person that loses it and the result is other innocent people die.
Prayers go out to everyone in the community, esp. the families and the Sheriff's department.
God Bless!
Since you knew him, do you know if the story is true about his parents being shot to death, in front of him, when he was a child. If it is true, that's not an excuse for why he did this. I was just wondering if that story is true ??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grundy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pawn and magic shop 21 hr tuco 9
Cowards 21 hr Coward 1
Scotty Jackson and Jerri Marrs Jackson Mon james 6
Snitches Mon Really 2
Wreck on Slatecreek Friday night Mon Hopeful 2
Buchanan County Chamber of Commerce Mon Good eyes 3
Buchanan County Political Satire Sun Norm Crosby 34

Grundy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance