Feds Sanction Grundy, VA Coal Mine

Feds Sanction Grundy, VA Coal Mine

There are 21 comments on the Http story from Nov 13, 2008, titled Feds Sanction Grundy, VA Coal Mine. In it, Http reports that:

A Virginia coal mine is being sanctioned for what the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration says are repeated violations of health and safety standards.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Http.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Green Eyes

Verona, PA

#1 Nov 13, 2008
Which mines is it in grundy?
Gwen

Nicholasville, KY

#2 Nov 13, 2008
That wuld be all of them if you ask me!

WELLMORE/UNITED are awful to the men and their families. They worked those men like dogs with promises of bonuses and didn't follow through. Now they are asking for volunteers to work through the scheduled vacation (during the Thanksgiving holiday).

Some way of giving thanks...let these men spend time with their families!!!!!!!!!!
Green Eyes

Tionesta, PA

#3 Nov 13, 2008
Gwen you tell it like it is...My husband works at the Apollo mine....I could not agree with what you have said more...When I saw the thread I was expecting to see WELLMORE/UNITED as the mines that was to be in trouble...I think they should let these men have the holiday with their families..And the bonuses are a joke..They really should stop lying to their men or they may find jobs someplace else...I have hoped that my husband will find another place to work..
Hazel

Nicholasville, KY

#4 Nov 14, 2008
I agree. It's all about production and not the safety and health of the men!!! GREEDY people trying to make it rich off those trying to support the family.

Maybe the men should walk out. That would show them! And those bonuses are a freakin joke. If you get something, it is not what is promised and you have to pay taxes on those gift cards LOL
Former miner

Honaker, VA

#5 Nov 14, 2008
According to the channel 5 news it was Patriot mining
grundy person

Natural Bridge, VA

#6 Nov 14, 2008
where is patriot mining
miner 1

Grundy, VA

#7 Nov 14, 2008
they shoud be able to have time with their familys,let the operators work if they want.
Hazel

Nicholasville, KY

#8 Nov 14, 2008
SO TRUE!!!
Green Eyes

Crosby, PA

#9 Nov 14, 2008
Yeh United thinks they are giving their men something when they give them those gift cards only to tax the crap out of them after they give them to them. They stay on to them to produce produce produce, but where my husband works at the Apollo mine they cannot keep the equiptment working to do anything with it. The reason they cannot keep it running is cause it is crap. I would like to see Tod and Gary get in there and do a little something. Probably would kill them to have to do a hard days work like those men do. All they holler is that their is gonna be changes. Well I hope the changes are better pay and atleast better bonuses for how hard those men work.
Panama Red

Charleston, WV

#10 Nov 14, 2008
Gwen wrote:
That wuld be all of them if you ask me!
WELLMORE/UNITED are awful to the men and their families. They worked those men like dogs with promises of bonuses and didn't follow through. Now they are asking for volunteers to work through the scheduled vacation (during the Thanksgiving holiday).
Some way of giving thanks...let these men spend time with their families!!!!!!!!!!
When I worked at Rapoca, it was work or take your place in the unemployment line, unless you were "in the clique".
Gwen

Nicholasville, KY

#11 Nov 14, 2008
Green Eyes wrote:
Yeh United thinks they are giving their men something when they give them those gift cards only to tax the crap out of them after they give them to them. They stay on to them to produce produce produce, but where my husband works at the Apollo mine they cannot keep the equiptment working to do anything with it. The reason they cannot keep it running is cause it is crap. I would like to see Tod and Gary get in there and do a little something. Probably would kill them to have to do a hard days work like those men do. All they holler is that their is gonna be changes. Well I hope the changes are better pay and atleast better bonuses for how hard those men work.
Same thing at Locust Thicket and Bill Brown. He can take his dog to the vet but jumps onto his men if they miss a day. Ever think they may need to REST????

Sam and Gary are too busy chasing the ladies! LOL
think about it

Nicholasville, KY

#12 Nov 14, 2008
Gal's I truly love the way your supporting your men here but being a victem of a gutless insecure boss let me warn you about something...You getting on here and trashing specific mines,bosses,superintendents etc will only cause your husbands more grief..The people you talk crap about will screw over every guy that works at theses places so he'll know he got the right one...Think about it..my heart goes out to you but thats the god's truth...
Green Eyes

Driftwood, PA

#13 Nov 14, 2008
Well I am sorry if people will get offended. I am just a woman that tells it like it is. Our men get no respect. They are just hard working people supporting their families. A little repect would not hurt.
Lazeboy

Bostic, NC

#14 Nov 14, 2008
United/Wellmore sux i would never work for that company they have been screwing people since they have been in business.
Reader

Nicholasville, KY

#15 Nov 15, 2008
I think Patriot Mining is the Skeens boys.
jar girl

Nicholasville, KY

#16 Nov 15, 2008
eat it
jar girl

Nicholasville, KY

#17 Nov 15, 2008
please mine coal
Panama Red

Charleston, WV

#18 Nov 17, 2008
A mines I was working at years ago shut down and the men were shuffled to another except me. The Stupidintendent didn't like me. He was one of them that could hate you on a whim. Another instance, I was an outside man at the one that shut down, and prior, an electrician who was friends with the foreman, had come in the office while I and another was eating lunch, and asked if I had loaded the roof bolts on the scoop. He had not notified me prior, as a result, I hadn't. When I went to load the scoop, he jumped on it and refused to let me load the roof bolts on it, and took off, just for spite. Less than an hour later, the foreman called outside and asked why I didn't load the bolts. I put the phone down and pondered my future. I didn't get fired, but I could always sense hostility. Later on, the same electrician came in the office and asked if I had so-and-so job done. I said, "What job?" He said joeblow the boss was already talking about firing me. After 10 minutes in a quandary, I jumped in my car and left. Gary called later that night. I wasn't home. He told Mom it was all a lie. Which part, I wonder. That electrician hasn't spoke to me since. We shut down days later. Never seen him again. Why people chose to ostracize me, I'll probably never know. I'm glad I don't work in the mines because of people like them anymore.
Rude Boy

Nicholasville, KY

#19 Dec 28, 2008
well i work for a small coalmine in Conaway and ever since the large cut from United I have decided that I would rather weld for a pipeline
wrong

Nicholasville, KY

#20 Dec 29, 2008
Reader wrote:
I think Patriot Mining is the Skeens boys.
Patriot Mining is Ervin Stiltner and his son Keith Stiltner

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grundy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is There A Dictator In The White House 13 min Dump Democrats ... 34
shell mart sold 29 min Uncle Tom 5
if you need dope (Apr '13) 31 min Uncle Tom 16
Caterer 14 hr Appreciative 1
New school year 19 hr Check the photos 11
Bush or slick 22 hr Julius 13
Need Info On David Shortridge (Aug '09) Thu Wanted Fugitive 31

Grundy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance