Brad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2011

Hello, I just recently moved to Buchanan County with my wife and son. I really want to coal mine underground. I am a VERY hardworking young man. I am 21 years old. Can anybody tell me how to start the process? How do i get my papers? Whats required? etc. If anybody has any tips or information, please let me know. I want to coal mine more than anything so i can support my family. Thank You and God Bless!
REDNECK

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2011

you will need to git your papers and the best place i kno of is judy horne over in raven next to richlands you will have to git your underground and gas detection two,the class is 40 hours witch is 4 days shes charges 180.00 dollers fer em
Coal Miners Daughter

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2011

Well I know that you have to take some classes,mostly safety and some federal regulations along with some underground procedures are taught.I would guess that you could call the Dept of Mines,minerals and Energy(DMME) for details and to find out when and where the classes and test are given and also the cost of the classes.. I do know that there are 2 types of papers,underground and surface.In order to work at any processing plant or strip mine you would have to have surface papers.Good luck to you,I have respect for anyone who is willing to work and take care of their family.God bless and if you do go underground,be careful,the job pays well,but it is hard and dangerous work. Take care.
bAckwoods

Santa Barbara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2011

check with jewel smokeless/ suncoke the usually hire red hats its located just above peebeles on the left
wife

Whitewood, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2011

Judged:

if you get hired as a red hat the mines that hires you will give you the classes for free try consol.
Brad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2011

Thank You all for the very helpful information. I will deff check out all of your suggestions. Any more tips, let me know. I appreciate the help. Thanks and God Bless!
Old Grundonian

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Judged:

Good for you! It isn't as dangerous for those who do things the right way and keep aware of the surroundings. As a red hat you'll be working with experienced miners, and most of them are really good about helping you learn. You can learn about roof and rib control, ventilation, methane, etc. in class, but there's no way to teach you to judge bad top, or spot a place that needs an extra timber or roof bolt, or how to stay out of the way of haulage equipment - for that you need OTJ training, and it's usually by your fellow miners.

Remember though that they are often pranksters, and there opinion of you will be colored by how well you take it if you're the brunt of a practical joke now and then. If you prove to be an eager learner, good listener, and a good sport, you'll do very well.
Brad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2011

Thanks for the encouraging words! I am getting my papers at the end of August to mine underground. Anybody know of any companies that like to hire red hats? I would like to get to work right away! I am also taking a First Aid class since i was told that most companies like to see that. Thanks and God Bless!
Srta

Tazewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2011

Brad wrote:
Hello, I just recently moved to Buchanan County with my wife and son. I really want to coal mine underground. I am a VERY hardworking young man. I am 21 years old. Can anybody tell me how to start the process? How do i get my papers? Whats required? etc. If anybody has any tips or information, please let me know. I want to coal mine more than anything so i can support my family. Thank You and God Bless!
It is my understanding that the next red hat class for Suncoke Energy (Jewell) is scheduled for October. You have a week in training, maybe two depends, then you are assigned at a site for some time. You are a red hat for 6 months. You just have to place your application in person at the office and from time to time, check on the status. Professional persistence does pays off, yes this company has some issues but no different then any other organization. The work is hard at times, but well worth it especially when payday comes around. Good luck
Old Grundonian

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2011

Brad, I've been out of mining since around 1990, so the laws have surely changed - but, back then, having your EMT certification could really open doors as every mine was required to have one on each shift. I don't know the current requirements but I doubt they're less strict. Look into that, and if that (or something similar) is still true then try to get that training also; if you're working when you do get it, take a copy of your certs to your employer. It could make a difference if there's a promotion opportunity, or a layoff.

That's pretty much true of any miner certification you can get - foreman's papers, electrician's, etc. It might not apply to your job right now, but it might save your bacon or get you a better job later on. Just make sure that you take a copy of your certs to your company so they know.
Brad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

Just Recieved my Underground Papers, Gas Detection, CPR and First Aid. Im Ready to go find a job! But im not really from around here and don't know where these companies are located at. Can Anybody help me out?
Randy

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

Brad wrote:
Just Recieved my Underground Papers, Gas Detection, CPR and First Aid. Im Ready to go find a job! But im not really from around here and don't know where these companies are located at. Can Anybody help me out?
So where did you get your Papers?
Brad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

Got my Papers from Judy Horne in Raven
Info

Hemingway, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

Wellmore coal co. has a posting in this weeks Va Mtneer, for a job fair at Hyltons grocery in Hurley.
randy

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

Brad wrote:
Got my Papers from Judy Horne in Raven
do you have her number i couldnt never find it
Brad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

Randy

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

Brad wrote:
thanks Alot!!!
someone

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

Jewell Smokeless has a half page ad on the back of the mountaineer, looking for experienced miners but they are hiring all the red hats they get too for expansion.
Someone

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

Jewell Smokeless is def. hiring.
dallas charles

Grundy, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

I need a a job. I've work in the mines for 13 years.If anyone know of anything. let me know please.I'm a good work can do anything in the mines just let me know thank u

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

53 Users are viewing the Grundy Forum right now

Search the Grundy Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Who gets your vote for President in 2018? (Apr '13) 1 hr dunadd 48
GOP Tea Party Pushing Secession 1 hr dunadd 10
crowd 4 hr this blonde chick 19
Georgia GOP Denies Unemployment to Bus Drivers... 11 hr Patriot 16
Georgia GOP Blocks Uninsured From ER's 12 hr Patriot 19
Republican Preachers, Priests, & Churches 12 hr Patriot 70
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 13 hr Winona 1,348
•••
•••
•••
Grundy Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Grundy Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Grundy People Search