Coalfield Expressway
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rocks in the road

Grundy, VA

#1 Jun 22, 2010
Does anyone know if they have figured out which route this road will take? I have heard there are many options has it been finalized yet?
Driver

United States

#2 Jun 22, 2010
The Coalfields Expressway will never be completed as long as the "No Taxers" are in charge of Virginia State Government. Bob McDonnell keeps trying to squeeze free roads out of VDOT and the General Fund, but both are broke. If we want new roads we are going to have to pay for them. I would gladly pay another 5 cents per gallon in gasoline taxes if it would build the Coalfields Expressway.
toDriver

Grundy, VA

#3 Jun 23, 2010
you are insane!
Give Unto Ceasar

Port Republic, VA

#4 Jun 23, 2010
Driver wrote:
The Coalfields Expressway will never be completed as long as the "No Taxers" are in charge of Virginia State Government. Bob McDonnell keeps trying to squeeze free roads out of VDOT and the General Fund, but both are broke. If we want new roads we are going to have to pay for them. I would gladly pay another 5 cents per gallon in gasoline taxes if it would build the Coalfields Expressway.
You've got to be kidding. Have you ever checked out the Commonwealth Transportation Board/VDOT priorities? Any new taxes will simply be used to fund improvements in the congested high traffic areas in northern and eastern Virginia. For every 5 cents you'd pay in taxes about $0.0000001 will got towards the Coalfields Expressway. It's not a priority and never will be. It's the opiate of the southwestern VA masses, used to quell the disquiet whenever it rises too high. You need new roads and infrastructure to fuel new economic development? We're doing studies to develop the Expressway and we'll be building it soon... soon as hell freezes over! Sorry, no money is available for construction but here's a nice pretty map you can look at to see how important this project is to the legislators in Richmond. Maybe it can be built privately as a toll road, otherwise it won't happen in our lifetimes.

I guess the Town of Grundy has been taking lessons, this sounds like the Walmart project as well. Whenever too many people start asking too many uncomfortable questions they move another piece of equipment onto the site or publish an artist's rendition of what the store is going to look like.

I've got a pretty vivid imagination but I can't shop at an imaginary store and I can't drive on an imaginary road. I'll gladly pay more taxes if I can pay with imaginary money.
Hey

United States

#5 Jun 23, 2010
HUH? They are buying up properties already. They have already bought property from some of the people living on Greenbriar near dickenson county. I dont know about any other locations but this is what they're doing right now.
Driver

Port Republic, VA

#6 Jun 23, 2010
Give Unto Ceasar wrote:
<quoted text>
You've got to be kidding. Have you ever checked out the Commonwealth Transportation Board/VDOT priorities? Any new taxes will simply be used to fund improvements in the congested high traffic areas in northern and eastern Virginia. For every 5 cents you'd pay in taxes about $0.0000001 will got towards the Coalfields Expressway. It's not a priority and never will be. It's the opiate of the southwestern VA masses, used to quell the disquiet whenever it rises too high. You need new roads and infrastructure to fuel new economic development? We're doing studies to develop the Expressway and we'll be building it soon... soon as hell freezes over! Sorry, no money is available for construction but here's a nice pretty map you can look at to see how important this project is to the legislators in Richmond. Maybe it can be built privately as a toll road, otherwise it won't happen in our lifetimes.
I guess the Town of Grundy has been taking lessons, this sounds like the Walmart project as well. Whenever too many people start asking too many uncomfortable questions they move another piece of equipment onto the site or publish an artist's rendition of what the store is going to look like.
I've got a pretty vivid imagination but I can't shop at an imaginary store and I can't drive on an imaginary road. I'll gladly pay more taxes if I can pay with imaginary money.
Another "No Taxer" waiting for the "free roads" to drop from the sky. If you want roads, somebody has to pay.
Give Unto Caesar

Port Republic, VA

#7 Jun 23, 2010
Hey wrote:
HUH? They are buying up properties already. They have already bought property from some of the people living on Greenbriar near dickenson county. I dont know about any other locations but this is what they're doing right now.
The funds for some property acquisition may be available but there are not sufficient funds to actually build the road. There will not be sufficient funds to build the road anytime soon. There's a huge and powerful lobby that pushes for new roads and development for the larger, more populated areas of eastern and northern Virginia. I fully support the Coalfield Expressway but don't like being misled as to its progress and projected completion. Hopefully additional funds will become available and the road will actually be constructed; this region definitely needs it.

My point is that we should not be fooled into thinking that new taxes predicated on the need to support road construction and maintenance will necessarily benefit this area to the same extent it will benefit other areas of the state. We will not get an equitable return of the increased taxes we would pay and would only support the glut of road building projects in areas 6-8 hours away. If an increased gas tax was instituted in this region that was specifically earmarked for the Coalfield Expressway then I wouldn't mind paying the tax. That's not going to happen and this region wil never gain equal benefit from a statewide tax that is distributed from the general funds for highway construction and maintenance.
Sensible

Concord, NC

#8 Jun 23, 2010
20+ years and still no "coalfields expressway" 10 years and still no "new town" SURPRISE

Can't remember but where was this road going to run? Out of slate creek to ky? Wouldn't WV and KY also have to fund their part of the roads? I can't remember the details.
helper

Pounding Mill, VA

#9 Jun 24, 2010
CFX isn't in KY - it ends at Pound, where it hits US 23.

The Greenbrier land IS for the CFX, but not really. It will connect Poplar Gap to the Breaks and will become the new 460. A new road from PG down to the 4-lane will be come off near the fire station.

The Grundy to Bradshaw part has been divided up. Work has already started from Acie's to Rockhouse. When the Rockhouse to Hardees section will start is anyone's guess.

WV is working down from Beckley, so McDowell Co will be the last part of their segment. Lots of work already done up towards Beckley.
Sensible

Concord, NC

#10 Jun 24, 2010
So WV has already started on this, meanwhile we havn't?

Are you talking about grundy's firestation above hardees?
WV Lady

Bridgeport, WV

#11 Jun 26, 2010
Sensible wrote:
So WV has already started on this, meanwhile we havn't?
Are you talking about grundy's firestation above hardees?
Not only has WV started on it but the section in Beckley is done and open...I've driven on it myself. They are getting really to take it thou Wyoming Co now then into McDowell.
Sensible

Concord, NC

#12 Jun 26, 2010
Perfect example of leadership in our county.
long lost friend

Pounding Mill, VA

#13 Jul 8, 2010
perfect example of an idiot.
"leadership in our county" has nothing to do with how fast a coal company works.
Go over to the Coeburn and Haysi boards and see how fast THEIR sections are being built.
Sensible

Concord, NC

#14 Jul 8, 2010
you know what I meant. Leadership=coal companies in that county.
Dude

United States

#15 Sep 2, 2010
Driver wrote:
I laugh at your ignorance. Do you even realize that the funds for the Virginia portion of the Coalfields Expressway were still secured prior to Jim Gilmore leaving office? Mark Warner takes office and the funds disappear. It's not necessary to TAX for projects. It's necessary to BUDGET for them. Spending money on Pork Barrel projects, and useless government programs that don't work are to blame. How are you going to blame Bob McDonnell when he just took office this year? Democrats cannot manage money. They've proven it time and time again. They know how to spend and waste money though.

Taxes aren't the answer. That just depletes the income of the taxpayer, and gives lawmakers more money to waste. Isn't it amazing that the 4 billion dollar shortfall this state experienced under eight years of Warner/Kaine has been turned into a surplus? Hmmm. I wonder how that happend. Could it be budgeting and less wasteful spending? Why don't we just call Obama, and he can send some stimulus money. All you have to do is print it. Yeah, uh huh. LOL! You go ahead and give the government more of YOUR money. I expect them to manage what they have. If they can't manage the money they have to work with, then they need to find another job.
Old Head

New Hope, VA

#16 Sep 2, 2010
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I laugh at your ignorance. Do you even realize that the funds for the Virginia portion of the Coalfields Expressway were still secured prior to Jim Gilmore leaving office? Mark Warner takes office and the funds disappear. It's not necessary to TAX for projects. It's necessary to BUDGET for them. Spending money on Pork Barrel projects, and useless government programs that don't work are to blame. How are you going to blame Bob McDonnell when he just took office this year? Democrats cannot manage money. They've proven it time and time again. They know how to spend and waste money though.
Taxes aren't the answer. That just depletes the income of the taxpayer, and gives lawmakers more money to waste. Isn't it amazing that the 4 billion dollar shortfall this state experienced under eight years of Warner/Kaine has been turned into a surplus? Hmmm. I wonder how that happend. Could it be budgeting and less wasteful spending? Why don't we just call Obama, and he can send some stimulus money. All you have to do is print it. Yeah, uh huh. LOL! You go ahead and give the government more of YOUR money. I expect them to manage what they have. If they can't manage the money they have to work with, then they need to find another job.

Dude, you have told at least a half dozen lies in your little tirade. Typical Republican. Make up the facts to suit yourtself. Take care of your rich friends and to hell with the common man.
anonymous grundy resident

Keen Mountain, VA

#17 Sep 12, 2010
uhh...they are building the Coalfield Expressway in the county....there is a section almost up to subgrade almost ready for pavement spanning from greenbrier to belchers fork....
3 Percenter

Port Republic, VA

#18 Sep 12, 2010
anonymous grundy resident wrote:
uhh...they are building the Coalfield Expressway in the county....there is a section almost up to subgrade almost ready for pavement spanning from greenbrier to belchers fork....
Uhh... they are building a 1.5 mile section. Actually, the Hawk's Nest section corresponds with a mining project and will result in the section being rough graded. That's great, it saves us all money and at least a small portion will be prepared for final work. Unfortunately, much of the remaining route doesn't correspond with proposed mining or, if it does, is subject to the schedules of the mining companies and the economic vagaries of the coal industry.

This section of the Expressway will connect with the new IDA road coming from Southern Gap as well as the 460 connector route. It will definitely help but at this rate the remaining 50.5 miles in Virginia will be completed in about 2032.
yes

Grundy, VA

#19 Sep 12, 2010
Actually, work has already started in McDowell County. There was a interchange constructed at Welch. What isn't being reported is that WV is building two highways in Southern WV that is the reason for that portion taking so long. The King Coal Highway will run from Williamson to Bluefield and cross the Coalfields Expressway at Welch, which is where the interchange was constructed at. Also in Bluefield when you get on US 52 coming out of East River Mnt Tunnel and about two miles away the road ends that is the King Coal Highway and construction is pushing ahead so yeah VA needs to step it up to make the progress WV is making, and this is a road project that is going to take both State and Federal Funding and would help if it would utilize private funds, I'd personally pay tolls for a highway that can get me places faster.
really now

Pikeville, KY

#20 Sep 13, 2010
good...if there happens to be a toll charge....you can pay everyone elses too....we pay too much for bullshit like this already!!!!
yes wrote:
Actually, work has already started in McDowell County. There was a interchange constructed at Welch. What isn't being reported is that WV is building two highways in Southern WV that is the reason for that portion taking so long. The King Coal Highway will run from Williamson to Bluefield and cross the Coalfields Expressway at Welch, which is where the interchange was constructed at. Also in Bluefield when you get on US 52 coming out of East River Mnt Tunnel and about two miles away the road ends that is the King Coal Highway and construction is pushing ahead so yeah VA needs to step it up to make the progress WV is making, and this is a road project that is going to take both State and Federal Funding and would help if it would utilize private funds, I'd personally pay tolls for a highway that can get me places faster.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grundy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
man at vansant begging for money 13 min Eternal truth 12
does anybody know Josh Addair (Apr '10) 5 hr Knew him 53
Rebecca Chapman 9 hr Rachel 2
Brittney vandyke 10 hr Johnmoore24614 1
american legion 18 hr gwen 4
Carol Ellis from 6&20mile br (Aug '10) Fri Charles 8
Christmas Movie "Believe" Fri Extra 8

Grundy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance