Planned trail too close for neighbors...

Planned trail too close for neighbors' comfort | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 46 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 13, 2011, titled Planned trail too close for neighbors' comfort | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The Alum Creek Trail will replace the trees to the right in this photo. The alley, seen after a rain, will separate the trail from the rear property lines of homes on Ballyvaughn Drive in the Northeast Side subdivision of the Village at Stone Cliff.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Conservatives Lie

Columbus, OH

#1 Jun 13, 2011
Too Bad! You don't own the property, build a damn privacy fence.
Antagonist

Newark, OH

#2 Jun 13, 2011
Think about future possibilities before buying land.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#3 Jun 13, 2011
two words - privacy fence.

if local zoning won't allow it to be high enough, fight with the zoning commission. it's an easier battle.
Browns Fan

Columbus, OH

#4 Jun 13, 2011
Enjoy the trail. Hike, bike, walk it.
Uncommon sense

Columbus, OH

#5 Jun 13, 2011
From the picture it looks like there are just garages at the backs of the houses. I see no backyards where people would be hanging out. Besides the road is much closer than the trail, so I don't see what their complaining about.
STN

Pickerington, OH

#6 Jun 13, 2011
I bike on the Olentangy Bike Trail several times weekly and I also live on Neil Ave., a street that's frequented by runners, walkers, dog-walkers, Peletonia, marathons, parades, etc. I think having a trail come so close to where I live would add interest and value to my residence.
Trails and paths like Alum Creek and Olentangy are one of the best ways we have to enable people access to our open spaces and metro parks. The people that use these trails and paths seem to appreciate the resource, seem to respect their surroundings, and really value the opportunity to be there (I know I do). If you like being close to people and nature, like watching people, and like being healthy, it's a great place to be. It's not like it's a motocross or snowmobile trail, it's quiet, healthy, and inspiring.
XcityDude

Columbus, OH

#8 Jun 13, 2011
My rights are more important than your rights
jeffb

Columbus, OH

#9 Jun 13, 2011
the citys wasting our money on these trails is bad enough . we have enough parks we need no more.
GHW

United States

#10 Jun 13, 2011
Looks like lack of drainage should be a bigger worry than lack of privacy for these neighbors...
Julie

Bellefontaine, OH

#11 Jun 13, 2011
If fencing is not allowed, landscape with tall hedges for privacy.
Across Road

Columbus, OH

#12 Jun 13, 2011
From the picture, it looks like "15 feet from their yards" means across the street from their yards. The trail will make the property more valuable, not less. We should all be so lucky! If it were me, I'd be asking the city to put a gate in the new fence, so that I could assess the trail directly.
taxpayer

Norwich, OH

#13 Jun 13, 2011
Please! You already have an alley in your backyard (with very poor drainage apparently), you are going to complain about a trail?
latte thunder

Columbus, OH

#14 Jun 13, 2011
Conservatives Lie wrote:
Too Bad! You don't own the property, build a damn privacy fence.
100% percent agree! They knew the city owned the land, and they knew the city wanted to add a trail. Personally, I don't see a big difference between a trail in front of the house or behind it as far as privacy is concerned. Build a fence!
realist

Columbus, OH

#15 Jun 13, 2011
In all the times I've used miles and miles of the Olentangy Multipurpose Trail, I've never seen anybody stopping to gawk at folks in backyards. If people stop to catch their breath, they look at the nature side, not the freaking houses and condos.

Sheesh. Folks walk bikes off the roads. Walkers need safe space, too, and the path is a great way for tons of folks to get exercise safely and enjoy a bit of nature.

Who wants to look in your backyards anyway? It's not as though folks will come knocking to use your bathroom or anything! Are you really going to sunbathe in the nude in your backyard if you don't already have a privacy fence or hedge? You can't enjoy a family BBQ or party with the idea that bikers and walkers will be passing by?
Collins44

Canal Winchester, OH

#16 Jun 13, 2011
Excellent use of resources providing an obese population the opportunity to exercise.
Technically Right

Columbus, OH

#17 Jun 13, 2011
It's not like it's a Hustler Hollywood Video Store; get over it!
Mo Tax Waste

Westerville, OH

#18 Jun 13, 2011
jeffb wrote:
the citys wasting our money on these trails is bad enough . we have enough parks we need no more.
The City of CBUS cannot keep the parks they have operating. Why do they feel spending more money for trails is a good idea?

The idiot that CBUS has a mayor is spending every nickel he has, yet public safety is left to struggle.

Coleman just spent $200+ million for parks and a bridge downtown. Get this fool out of office.
Dirk

Herndon, VA

#19 Jun 13, 2011
Stfu and build a privacy fence or realize people aren't stopping and staring
Paul Not Paublo

New Lexington, OH

#20 Jun 13, 2011
With bike riders being killed while riding to work why are bike trails to nowhere being built? With the very limited amount of money, where would a prudent person expect money to be spent?
philanthrofee

Columbus, OH

#21 Jun 13, 2011
o for god's sake. really? get over yourselves.

in german village, sidewalks are at the very fronts of houses, alleys right up against them, and directly behind. if you REALLY wanted a rural setting, you shouldn't have moved to a 'burb slap-'em-up development.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groveport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brianna Davis and Daniel matheny Aug 16 Hmmm 10
kk (Feb '13) Aug 15 cierra 2
Two OD's in Canal Winchester Aug 5 Riders 2
Utilities?? Jul 31 ashley 6
info Jul 30 Youknowme 2
h**ker Jul 27 ash 1
CHC Services Jul '17 Veteran 2

Groveport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance