Apartments boost amenities to attract, retain ownership-shy tenants | The Columbus Dispatch

John Scruggs could buy a home, but he likes the freedom and amenities at the Paddock at Hayden Run apartments. Full Story
Mike

Columbus, OH

#1 Jul 3, 2011
Allow me to translate what these stupid renters are saying:

"Houses are cheap, we are going to wait until they are overpriced again before we buy."

-Life is hard, it's harder if your stupid.
Hello

Newark, OH

#2 Jul 3, 2011
Hey "Mike" from Columbus.......the next-to-the-last-word in your quote is not spelled correctly. I should be spelled - you're. Your quote appears to 'fit' you. Have a nice day.
Hey Hello

Reynoldsburg, OH

#3 Jul 3, 2011
Hello wrote:
Hey "Mike" from Columbus.......the next-to-the-last-word in your quote is not spelled correctly. I should be spelled - you're. Your quote appears to 'fit' you. Have a nice day.
Did you mean "It should be spelled..."?

Here's your sign!
Jack Mehoff

Columbus, OH

#4 Jul 3, 2011
Hello wrote:
Hey "Hello", your English grammar is bad. "I should be spelled" is incorrect. Your statement should say, "It should be spelled". Just here to fix your "broken English".
Memphis

Columbus, OH

#6 Jul 3, 2011
Oh Mike, aren't you so smart and perfect. Tell us more about how renters are stupid as viewed from your enlightened position. Especially, since they could be taking advantage of such an incredible credit market. Tell us more, the world awaits your wisdom.
skeptic

Columbus, OH

#7 Jul 3, 2011
Is this just an advertisement for Hayden Run and Hilliard Grand? How is this front webpage news?
macman86

Dublin, OH

#8 Jul 3, 2011
What a bunch of BS this article.
nwcols

Hilliard, OH

#9 Jul 3, 2011
skeptic wrote:
Is this just an advertisement for Hayden Run and Hilliard Grand? How is this front webpage news?
Yes, it is. A real news item might have mentioned what the occupancy rate is for the overbuilt Hayden-Cosgray area, where the Paddock is, and not just that of the much more accessible Arlington Park development. Hayden-Cosgray is a ghost town.
you asked

Reynoldsburg, OH

#10 Jul 3, 2011
skeptic wrote:
Yes, it's a fake article, aka farticle; an ad dressed up as news.

Thanks for asking!
dumb

Columbus, OH

#11 Jul 3, 2011
stupid with their money.
Zorak

Lancaster, OH

#12 Jul 3, 2011
If you're fairly certain that you're going to be moving in the the next 3-5 years, it's true that you'll not recover your buying/selling costs through appreciation - you'll at least break even renting.

Still, you'd wise to sock the money away NOW to buy a home later instead of blowing it on renting the fancier digs now. If you could put an extra $250 per month away for the next five years toward a future mortgage, the long-term interest savings when you -do- purchase a home would be phenomenal. And as noted above - housing prices have bottomed out in Central Ohio

Then again, delayed gratification hasn't been a strong suite in this country for about sixty years now.:)
Smith

Pickerington, OH

#13 Jul 3, 2011
Buying a home is the biggest bank scam of them all and it has had the public hoodwinked for years. Rent as long as you can; "owning" a home is the biggest mistake one could ever make.
omg what

Columbus, OH

#14 Jul 3, 2011
"Tre Gellar"

LOL

I think it's Giller not Gellar. No relation to Sarah Michelle.
omg what

Columbus, OH

#15 Jul 3, 2011
dumb wrote:
stupid with their money.
YOU'RE RIGHT!

* everyone should buy a house with BROKER FEES built into the sales price.
* pay thousands a year in repair and upkeep costs (because the house is old OR ONE OF THE MANY poorly built newer houses)

and then when that better job outside of Ohio comes along...

* they should put the house up for sale,
* let the house linger for 2-3 years with no buyers
* then FINALLY sell it for $80K less than they paid,
* and pay $20K-$30K in broker fees as an insult to injury.

Stupid renters !!!

Reality

Canal Winchester, OH

#16 Jul 3, 2011
Buying a house was the biggest mistake I ever made. It's way too expensive and time consuming to upkeep.
CollegeProf

Greenfield, OH

#18 Jul 4, 2011
omg what wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU'RE RIGHT!
* everyone should buy a house with BROKER FEES built into the sales price.
* pay thousands a year in repair and upkeep costs (because the house is old OR ONE OF THE MANY poorly built newer houses)
and then when that better job outside of Ohio comes along...
* they should put the house up for sale,
* let the house linger for 2-3 years with no buyers
* then FINALLY sell it for $80K less than they paid,
* and pay $20K-$30K in broker fees as an insult to injury.
Stupid renters !!!
Maybe. There have always been plusses and minuses to owning versus renting, and in the end, it's more of a lifestyle choice than a financial one. But it would be hard to argue that if there ever was a time to purchase a home, it's now. Interest rates are almost ridiculously low, and many of the house prices are significantly lower than they were a few years ago. But people tend to do things in herds. Right now it's popular to rent so a lot of people will follow suit. Then when the housing market picks up, they will compete with one another and drive the prices higher and higher, just as they'r driving rent prices higher and higher right now as they avoid purchasing.
brat

Pickerington, OH

#20 Jul 5, 2011
scouted winchester park. indications led me to believe this is not upscale and already headed toward subsidized housing.
cool

New York, NY

#23 Mar 28, 2012
sounds awsome

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groveport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Steak & Shake on Hill Road 20 hr never again 3
happy birthday ashley nuckols Dec 15 ... 11
Review: CMI Waste Removal Svc (Mar '10) Dec 9 Atv 22
Review: Rock Star Fashion Dec 8 Anonymous 1
gross post Dec 6 .. 1
Jobs intellisource or Nesco who's better employer Dec 4 toomuch 1
Tommy Pike Dec 2 ky 2
Groveport Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web