The Inside Story | Benjamin J. Marris...

The Inside Story | Benjamin J. Marrison commentary: Anthony case not A1 news, until verdict astou...

There are 22 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 10, 2011, titled The Inside Story | Benjamin J. Marrison commentary: Anthony case not A1 news, until verdict astou.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

In the half-hour before the verdict was announced in the over-hyped Casey Anthony murder case, the TV in my office was tuned to CNN.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
old news

Howard, OH

#1 Jul 10, 2011
this sounds like somebody is making excuses for the Dispatch front page looking like the National Enquirer

want to make a difference?

run more local news,and dump the stupid AP stories.

get your reporters out in the neighborhoods and find out what issues are on folks' minds.
wastherethen

Dublin, OH

#2 Jul 10, 2011
I barely followed the case, but given that the government was unable to prove the cause of death, an acquital on the murder count was hardly surprising.
Jimmer

Bay City, MI

#3 Jul 10, 2011
wastherethen wrote:
I barely followed the case, but given that the government was unable to prove the cause of death, an acquital on the murder count was hardly surprising.
Finally found a reasonable person! Me an you are the 1 in 64 that are okay with the verdict!
Anonymous Girl

United States

#4 Jul 10, 2011
old news wrote:
this sounds like somebody is making excuses for the Dispatch front page looking like the National Enquirer
want to make a difference?
run more local news,and dump the stupid AP stories.
get your reporters out in the neighborhoods and find out what issues are on folks' minds.
FINALLY! Someone with some flippin common sense. You and I are on the exact same page.(:
JerrysDad

Orlando, FL

#5 Jul 10, 2011
I understand your dilemma, and laud your intent to put local news ahead of sensational wire stories.
With that compliment offered, I feel you brushed too lightly over a critical point; possibly an issue of true import to Americans everywhere, including the readers of your newspaper:
There has been an arbitrary rejection of the jury's "not guilty" verdict, and the resulting, frightening swell of vigilantism seems to be condoned by those very "experts" about which you wrote. Their pre-verdict speculations were irresponsible, but ignorable, but I see their refusal to embrace the final verdict as very dangerous.
Disclosure: I am an Orlando resident and a member of the very small minority that does not believe the three serious charges against Casey Anthony were proven.
thought a lot about it

Altoona, PA

#6 Jul 10, 2011
(A) Verdict of "not guilty" does not mean she did not do it

(B) I gave a mock presentation as a pretend juror to my living room about the circumstantial evidence, talked for 20 minutes, and concluded there's no reasonable doubt she had the means, motive, and opportunity

(C) HOWEVER, my personal sense of duty and morality would have still compelled me to vote for acquittal (even though I think she did it) because morally I could not convict in a death penalty case based solely on circumstantial evidence

(D) and that's really what the case is about..... may society execute citizens when we're all convinced of guilt, but nonetheless there is nothing but circumstantial evidence. THIS is the news story we should all be interested in, not these particular folks' personal drama.
old news

Howard, OH

#7 Jul 10, 2011
thought a lot about it wrote:
(A) Verdict of "not guilty" does not mean she did not do it
(B) I gave a mock presentation as a pretend juror to my living room about the circumstantial evidence, talked for 20 minutes, and concluded there's no reasonable doubt she had the means, motive, and opportunity
(C) HOWEVER, my personal sense of duty and morality would have still compelled me to vote for acquittal (even though I think she did it) because morally I could not convict in a death penalty case based solely on circumstantial evidence
(D) and that's really what the case is about..... may society execute citizens when we're all convinced of guilt, but nonetheless there is nothing but circumstantial evidence. THIS is the news story we should all be interested in, not these particular folks' personal drama.
w t f are you talking about?you gave a mock presentation?big deal.

this happened in florida,not columbus.

who cares.
Keith

United States

#8 Jul 10, 2011
+1

The US press is rightly lumped together because of innaccurate reporting led by a devotion to commercialism that trumps their raison d' etre, and a very successful campaign to confuse reporting with editorial and advertising. Heck of a job, US news corps.
Nana

United States

#9 Jul 10, 2011
I think local papers should feature local news - most of us can get the national information from the internet.
The Anthony case was so "over covered" by the media that I never listened to it. I did think it was funny that most of the so called "experts" got it so wrong!
What is really going to be sickening is all the money the various "players" in the story will make from a ratings hungry media. Profiting from a two-year-old's death is disgusting.
Perry Mason

Whitesburg, KY

#10 Jul 10, 2011
I thought the defense created reasonable doubt. I also think the prosecution was grasping for straws and miscalculated the effects of all their circumstantial case. They did not prove case of death only a theory. One needs facts and evidence to convict and theirs was a case light on both.

The only people shocked by the verdict are those who didn't exam the lack of evidence or actually listened to all the cable new's talking head types. Now their were many that drank this Kool-aid and one had to laugh when people were actually shocked by the verdict because of their own prejudiced views. I think the jury system works as well as any in the world. I trust their judgement. We all know a good defense team can play a jury sometimes but it still works most of the time.
jay characo

Orlando, FL

#11 Jul 10, 2011
I live in Orlando for the past 17 years, I watch t.v like anybody else does, glue into it when great news appear. I watched the O.J murder trial, thought of it was sensational, and kept us all at the edge of our seats, only to find out, injustice was committed, the state let us down. I really thought we have learned how to make sure criminals state behind bars, justice is served, and our belief in government was restored...Not so and quite surprising, proof came to set me back on those thoughts...This case was supposed to be a slammed dunk for the state and everyone who watched the trial developed. Everyone thought Casey the murderer was fried! there was noway in on earth this killer was going to get away with this homicide perpetrated by her own hands, was going to get away but she did, after over 400 pieces of evidence, what the jurors were thinking? Defeat the state, this is the only goal in their mind, get back at the state, but by doing so, they also let us down, they disrespected our beliefs, and destroyed our faith in government, and people themselves...If the juror saw no crime was committed, they are criminal themselves who cohort ed with the killer to let her free.

Since: Jun 10

Canal Winchester, OH

#12 Jul 10, 2011
Nancy Grace is a legend in her own mind. She just doesn't add up.
While I don't feel comfortable about the results of the Anthony case, a closer examination of the presentations at the trial show that the verdict is the only honest verdict that could be delivered.
Don't blame Anthony. Don't blame the defense. They didn't win the case so much as the proscecution lost the case.
If someone disagrees, then they should look to the arrogance of the proscecution. The proscecution brought the case to trial while the supporting evidence was incomplete. The proseceution was irritiating enough to alienate the jury - a bad move at any time. The proscecution knew or should have known that once Anthony got off, they could not retry the case. It was a one-shot event. If the proscecution had waited until they had a more solid case, it might just have turned out with a conviction.
John

Portsmouth, OH

#13 Jul 10, 2011
old news wrote:
this sounds like somebody is making excuses for the Dispatch front page looking like the National Enquirer
want to make a difference?
run more local news,and dump the stupid AP stories.
get your reporters out in the neighborhoods and find out what issues are on folks' minds.
Amen.
Publius

Reynoldsburg, OH

#14 Jul 10, 2011
Thank God for newspapers. If I am not interested in a story, I can flip past it. Not so with cable news shows. It is always a tempest in a teapot. They only report the stories that the other cable shows are over covering. Nancy Grace can still keep beating a dead horse all she wants. I don’t have to listen to her rant. It sucks that there are only a handful of cable news outlets and they force feed their agenda whether you want to hear it or not. Although, I am starting to watch the BBC more and more.
JoJo

Westerville, OH

#15 Jul 10, 2011
FreeloaderFred wrote:
Nancy Grace is a legend in her own mind. She just doesn't add up.
While I don't feel comfortable about the results of the Anthony case, a closer examination of the presentations at the trial show that the verdict is the only honest verdict that could be delivered.
Don't blame Anthony. Don't blame the defense. They didn't win the case so much as the proscecution lost the case.
If someone disagrees, then they should look to the arrogance of the proscecution. The proscecution brought the case to trial while the supporting evidence was incomplete. The proseceution was irritiating enough to alienate the jury - a bad move at any time. The proscecution knew or should have known that once Anthony got off, they could not retry the case. It was a one-shot event. If the proscecution had waited until they had a more solid case, it might just have turned out with a conviction.
There would never have been a more solid case. Additional physical evidence would not materialized out of thin air and Ms. Anthony would never admit it to anyone. Even then, no one would necessarily believe any other self-serving statements as she is, in fact, a convicted liar and convicetd thief.
Deb

Winter Garden, FL

#16 Jul 10, 2011
Scott Peterson is currently sitting on death row in California wishing he was lucky enough to get the jury from Pinellas County, Florida...he'd be a free man today....but, his jury did their job. They deliberated for 11 days, asked for clarification from the judge, reviewed evidence. No cause of death was determined of his two victims due to decompensation. The case against him was a circumstantial case....not too many murders are caught on video tape.

The Casey Anthony jury deliberated for a few hours, never asked for clarification from the judge, never asked to review evidence. Several interviews given by these jurors clearly indicate they didn't even understand the instructions by the judge or their job as jurors. One juror stated she "couldn't decide on a penalty if they didn't know what happened"....the jury was NOT to consider "a penalty"...only guilt. One stated he couldn't get the "sexual molestation charge out of my head"...yet that was made by defense in opening statement, which is NOT evidence, and finally disallowed by the judge in closing as there was never any proof of it.

This jury certainly didn't understand the concept of "beyond a reasonable doubt" doesn't mean beyond any and all doubt.

This jury simply could not be bothered, and failed to do their job. And, as a result, failed little Caylee Anthony and all of society. And they will live with the consequences.
zEnzyte Bob ex-Paid Cust

Kansas City, MO

#19 Jul 10, 2011
I see my post about how I am now a FORMER SUBSCRIBER due to the fact that your weekend internet moderators are such WEENIES was deleted. That's right, I am no longer a Sunday subscriber. My $87.30 stays in my pocket.

Your weekend moderator staff must be the most hypersensitive, thin-skinned people in the entire world.

Example: In the Vrabel thread, someone was extolling the virtues of a parochial education and the fact that Fickell and Vrabel went to Catholic schools. I responded with the crack that I guess we can expect more NCAA violations since Tressel and Jim O'Brien were both raised Catholic (as was I). Deleted, as was this very complaint the first time I posted.

Again, If my opinions and jokes aren't good enough for you, then neither is my $87.30!

Very little annoys my in life, but your moderator needs to be reassigned. THIS PERSON SIMPLY DOES NOT HAVE A CLUE.
your name here

Delphos, OH

#20 Jul 10, 2011
Thanks Ben for telling us in your lead you watch CNN. We figured that awhile ago. Now how about the one respondent's suggestion that you cover our greater Columbus metro area with REAL NEWS coverage. Furthermore I doubt very seriously the majority of your readers (if polled last week) would agree with your statement the Anthony case had nothing to do with your coverage area? Will there never be a "dry bones" case in central Ohio. Ever? Can you say that with certainty? Good grief who put you in charge of our hometown paper anyway?
Ben Nicola

Middleburg, FL

#21 Jul 10, 2011
Not surprised your tv was tuned into CNN, John Frederick should have screened better before hiring a room full of libs
old news

Howard, OH

#22 Jul 11, 2011
Deb wrote:
This jury simply could not be bothered, and failed to do their job. And, as a result, failed little Caylee Anthony and all of society. And they will live with the consequences.
i guess you would know since you were in the jury room

oh you weren't?

then shut up

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groveport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shell on 256 Dec 5 EbonyIvory 1
News Updates right down younger crowd's alley | The ... (Jan '11) Dec 1 Scottfisher00 3
What's your favorite cat feed? Nov 30 Mitch 2
News UPS Breaks Ground To Expand Columbus Hub Nov 18 e-commerce 1
Sasquatch Nov 7 Wondering 5
News Tackling Columbus school-bus complaints is impe... (Nov '10) Nov '16 1 and 1 and 1 is 3 26
Cops at funeral home in canal 24/7 Nov '16 Anonymous 1

Groveport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Groveport Mortgages