Ohio vies for huge cargo jets | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

The biggest version yet of Boeing's 747 soon could be flying into airports that have never handled aircraft that large, raising hackles among some airport neighbors.
Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Apr 13, 2011
Civics101

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2011

Judged:

"But some residents feel threatened by the big cargo planes now flying over their homes "

The facility was originally opened in June 1942 as Lockbourne Army Airfield. Stop your whining about airport noise\big planes, you knew what were getting into.
justa

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2011

Judged:

They need these jumbo jets to help people move out of Ohio faster .
Jeb Eckert

Lancaster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2011

Judged:

"Whitaker said that the authority has had a good relationship with neighbors in areas such as Groveport." What a crock! Those ingrates in Groveport constantly complain about the military flying in and out of Rickenbacker. Sure, they love the freedom the military provides but God forbid that the Air Force be able to train. Hypocrisy at its finest!
no one

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2011

Judged:

I live south of Rickenbacker in Ashville...I say bring on the jumbo jets...anything to possibly create jobs and move us forward!!
Tiny Elvis

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2011

Judged:

Man, look at that cargo jet; that thing is huge!
22d5st

Williamstown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2011

Judged:

People never cease to amaze me.

If the airport was there before you, then you have no right to complain about noise.
Groveport Resident

Canal Winchester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2011

Judged:

22d5st wrote:
People never cease to amaze me.
If the airport was there before you, then you have no right to complain about noise.
The village of Groveport was established about 150 years ago. Don't think the airport were there before that. Using your rationale, if the village was there before the airport, the port authority should not complain when they are restricted for the good of the village. Groveport originally agreed to allow the airport to go there as a glider training facility (no engines). During WWII, they agreed to allow B-52 training at the airport as a show of their patriotism. After that it was Katy bar the door. There is supposed to be a very involved noise agreement between the village, the residents, and the airport. Whatever happened to it? It was established when the airport was changed from strictly military to a mix of military and cargo in the mid-1980's and spelled out exactly where the planes could fly and how they were to take off and land. Any homes that went into the area after that agreement would have been located there with the understanding of that agreement. At the time it was written, it was the most comprehensive noise agreement ever but now it just seems to have disappeared. I know it is not being followed but it has not been voided either.
Civics101

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2011

Judged:

Groveport Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
The village of Groveport was established about 150 years ago. Don't think the airport were there before that. Using your rationale, if the village was there before the airport, the port authority should not complain when they are restricted for the good of the village. Groveport originally agreed to allow the airport to go there as a glider training facility (no engines). During WWII, they agreed to allow B-52 training at the airport as a show of their patriotism. After that it was Katy bar the door. There is supposed to be a very involved noise agreement between the village, the residents, and the airport. Whatever happened to it? It was established when the airport was changed from strictly military to a mix of military and cargo in the mid-1980's and spelled out exactly where the planes could fly and how they were to take off and land. Any homes that went into the area after that agreement would have been located there with the understanding of that agreement. At the time it was written, it was the most comprehensive noise agreement ever but now it just seems to have disappeared. I know it is not being followed but it has not been voided either.
Did you move in 150 years ago? after WWII?
Pete Carroll

Pacifica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2011

Judged:

Groveport Resident is wrong about Groveport "allowing" B-52 training there during WWII. The first flight of a B-52 wasn't until 1952.

I seriously doubt that Groveport had any say about what what went on at Lockbourne.
Indy

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2011

is gunning for this same service.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Groveport Discussions

Search the Groveport Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 11 min ino 29,394
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 2 hr Johnnie Mac 2,221
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul 23 They cannot kill a Spook 231
Chad Garrard child abuser in town? (Jan '14) Jul 22 nurse0736 9
Savings Bank spending $3.5 million on new Circl... Jul 19 pawprint 18
Yard sale Jul 15 Burnett 1
Columbus Man Fights Murder Extradition to Albania Jul 9 All Are Liars 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Groveport Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••