New rule bars kid riders from Pelotonia | The Columbus Dispatch

Sam Ferrell, 11, of Upper Arlington, helped to raise more than $4,000 for last year's tour, even taking Pelotonia donations in lieu of birthday gifts. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
get out of the street

Reynoldsburg, OH

#22 Jun 2, 2011
Beneficiary of Research wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully you pray everyday that you never need to be the beneficiary of the results of the research and treatment/help paid for by these various races and walks to cure this, that or the other diseases.
Perhaps they can compromise and come up with a safe route for the younger riders.
Get out of the street!
abc

Columbus, OH

#23 Jun 2, 2011
They should have said no NEW riders under a certain. That way the kids planning to ride could. Many of them have spent time and energy preparing and raising money.

Since: Jun 10

Canal Winchester, OH

#24 Jun 2, 2011
It looks to me as if this action by event organizers is more prideful (on their part) than useful.
If a child has proven in prior events that they have mastered the physical and safety prerequisites, then they should be considered equals. To restrict them seems to be an action that says that adults are always better than their childhood rivals.
4 years out

Dublin, OH

#25 Jun 2, 2011
Beneficiary of Research wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully you pray everyday that you never need to be the beneficiary of the results of the research and treatment/help paid for by these various races and walks to cure this, that or the other diseases.
Perhaps they can compromise and come up with a safe route for the younger riders.
5.6% of Komen's money is spent on treatment. 13% is spent on health screening services. Research is about 20%. The rest goes to various things, including suing other groups who use the phrase "for the cure".

Part of Pelotonia's money goes to providing 64 fellowship grants to students (future scientists).

If you can find me a website which shows the direct results of research where these monies have been applied, I'll take a look. Meanwhile, I'll contribute my time and money to local cancer charities who actually DO help those in treatment for cancer without all the hoopla.
disgusted

Columbus, OH

#27 Jun 2, 2011
We want your money, but we dont want you!
Biker on the street

Delaware, OH

#28 Jun 2, 2011
get out of the street wrote:
Bikes belong on bike paths, not the street.
Bicycles are legally vehicles which gives them the same right to be on the street as automobiles. That is true in every state. The only exception to that is restricted access highways such as interstates. On all other roads bikes are O.K.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#30 Jun 2, 2011
What about a charity ride to Hooters. Could he go on that?
get out of the street

Reynoldsburg, OH

#31 Jun 2, 2011
Biker on the street wrote:
<quoted text>
Bicycles are legally vehicles which gives them the same right to be on the street as automobiles. That is true in every state. The only exception to that is restricted access highways such as interstates. On all other roads bikes are O.K.
Legal, but not OK. Last year's death showed why. Pick-up vs bike rider... Any questions?
Sterling Silver

Grove City, OH

#32 Jun 2, 2011
Big Johnson wrote:
Sign me up! Oh wait, I'm already giving to the Hooters girls...
TellsItLikeItIs

Cleveland, OH

#33 Jun 2, 2011
The sponsors are perfectly within their right to limit their event to those over a certain age. It would only take one serious incident to ruin and possible destroy the event.

Not everything is for children. I think expecting a child to bicycle 100 miles, even in 2 days, is unrealistic. They don't have the muscle mass for that kind of physical task. This young man needs to give his contributions for the right reasons and none of them have to do with HIM.
See Things As They Are

Columbus, OH

#34 Jun 2, 2011
In my humble opinion, bikes should not be on the same roadway as a car. Ever. At all.

The state has bikepaths. Bikes should ride on bikepaths, not on highways. It is not safe for the people who ride bikes or the cars that have to pull into the other lane to get around them.

“Blah Blah Blah”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#35 Jun 2, 2011
cortana wrote:
I'm fairly sure that the event's insurer told the organizers that they had to restrict entry to older children in order to keep their insurance after last year. It's probably not fair to put all the blame on them. Blame the idiot driver that hit the kid last year.
The person who was hit and killed last year was an adult.
Archie Bunker on Steroids

Westerville, OH

#36 Jun 2, 2011
What BS! If the kid can ride that far, let him. No doubt Jessica Kinman is one of those nanny democRATs who want to control all aspects of our lives.
Komen Funds PP

Westerville, OH

#37 Jun 2, 2011
4 years out wrote:
<quoted text>
5.6% of Komen's money is spent on treatment. 13% is spent on health screening services. Research is about 20%. The rest goes to various things, including suing other groups who use the phrase "for the cure".
Part of Pelotonia's money goes to providing 64 fellowship grants to students (future scientists).
If you can find me a website which shows the direct results of research where these monies have been applied, I'll take a look. Meanwhile, I'll contribute my time and money to local cancer charities who actually DO help those in treatment for cancer without all the hoopla.
Doesnt Komen send lots of money (most of which is raised in all the cockamamie walks/races/etc) to Planned Parenthood the abortion machine? I heard they did. I heard Komen donors cant do a damned thing about it. All money is liquid and as such it finds its own level. It finds its way inside the dirtiest cracks and crevices of these sleazy slimy organizations. Run by liars
Bone R Johnson

Westerville, OH

#38 Jun 2, 2011
Big Johnson wrote:
How is your "unspeakable" ailment I read about over on the Jim Karnes RIP story? Life on a toilet seat with a bad case of priapism??? Hilarious!11!
Call Me a Skeptic

Pickerington, OH

#39 Jun 2, 2011
Americans have been inundated with charity marathons, walkathons, bikeathons, swimathons, kickathons, jumpathons, talkathons, ANY-thons -- so much so that one begins to wonder about the costs and the profits related to staging these type events -- and what percentage of donated funds directly benefits "the cause." While the motives are good, it seems that donating personal funds -- specifically earmarked for research -- directly to a charitable association would be most cost effective. Maybe I'm missing the symbolism or something.
Sterling Silver

Grove City, OH

#40 Jun 2, 2011
Komen Funds PP wrote:
<quoted text> Doesnt Komen send lots of money (most of which is raised in all the cockamamie walks/races/etc) to Planned Parenthood the abortion machine? I heard they did. I heard Komen donors cant do a damned thing about it. All money is liquid and as such it finds its own level. It finds its way inside the dirtiest cracks and crevices of these sleazy slimy organizations. Run by liars
And I heard the vast majority of money conservatives donate to the Republican Party winds up in the accounts of Planned Parenthood too. Something about wanting to limit the future black vote. I heard it! It must be true!
Wow

Pickerington, OH

#41 Jun 2, 2011
Sterling Silver wrote:
<quoted text>
And I heard the vast majority of money conservatives donate to the Republican Party winds up in the accounts of Planned Parenthood too. Something about wanting to limit the future black vote. I heard it! It must be true!
That must be why Repubs voted to defund PP.
Nice race baiting, Silvertone.
Typical of your political persuasion -- LEFT.
Sterling Silver

Grove City, OH

#42 Jun 3, 2011
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
That must be why Repubs voted to defund PP.
Nice race baiting, Silvertone.
Typical of your political persuasion -- LEFT.
I knew there would be someone too stupid to pick up the sarcasm. Typical of your political persuasion--WINGNUT!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groveport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dead boy's mom urges Columbus marchers on 4 hr Mr Teas mommy 2
Steak & Shake on Hill Road Dec 17 never again 3
happy birthday ashley nuckols Dec 15 ... 11
Review: CMI Waste Removal Svc (Mar '10) Dec 9 Atv 22
Review: Rock Star Fashion Dec 8 Anonymous 1
gross post Dec 6 .. 1
Jobs intellisource or Nesco who's better employer Dec 4 toomuch 1
Groveport Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web