Volunteer Pleads Guilty In $200K Thef...

Volunteer Pleads Guilty In $200K Theft From Food Pantry | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

There are 30 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Jan 7, 2011, titled Volunteer Pleads Guilty In $200K Theft From Food Pantry | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News. In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

The Grove City Food Pantry and Emergency Fund was dealing with the loss of more than $200,000 on Friday after one of its volunteers admitted she stole it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
buckeye

Hilliard, OH

#1 Jan 7, 2011
I cant get a job for reasons unknown and cannot get assistance and need help and I see this which infuriates me..not only for myself but the families with children needing to feed them etc..

Unbelievable...so damn sad..

It is really people like this that really puts a damper on the needy...throw the book..

I also cannot believe this went on for years..HOW? i guess when you have trust you would never think this could happen..

thank you
G I Joe

Marysville, OH

#2 Jan 7, 2011
And people are to give to these places when they let someone like her to take care of the finances. To little to late how will she pay it back in prison?
JCK

Springfield, OH

#3 Jan 7, 2011
How low can you go?

Stealing from a non profit that helps the needy. She should get the 98 yrs that the "church lady" is up for.
myopn

United States

#4 Jan 7, 2011
She must have been the most cheerful happy-go-lucky volunteer there!
PhonMan

Columbus, OH

#5 Jan 7, 2011
worse than stealing from the collection tray at church. if your gonna steal, steal from somebody else.
Terrible Ted

United States

#6 Jan 7, 2011
JCK wrote:
How low can you go?
Stealing from a non profit that helps the needy. She should get the 98 yrs that the "church lady" is up for.
Hiring a CPA to review the books each year would have been a cheap way to avoid this. It's a well know problem with nonprofits that the management controls and discipline of a firm that gets audited and pays taxes. At least the business owner has to worry about IRS audits if nothing else and it would go a long way to reduce some of the risk or temptation of volunteers.
yikes

Cobleskill, NY

#7 Jan 7, 2011
wow use to work in Grove City-glad we moved muders, back taxes, fraud. Yea me for getting out when the gettin was good!
Quack

Columbus, OH

#8 Jan 7, 2011
buckeye wrote:
I cant get a job for reasons unknown and cannot get assistance and need help and I see this which infuriates me..not only for myself but the families with children needing to feed them etc..
Unbelievable...so damn sad..
It is really people like this that really puts a damper on the needy...throw the book..
I also cannot believe this went on for years..HOW? i guess when you have trust you would never think this could happen..
thank you
Wow, know that one bad apple, volunteer, should not spoil the outlook of our non-profit organizations and their services to our communities. I not sure what nor where you have reached out for help, but 211 Hands On Central Ohio is where you and your family should call for help in the Columbus area.
Therefore, the misrepresentation of this volunteer, Gayle Tatman, who managed the money, as well as the pantry trustee, Ron Miller, and board member should all be held accountable for allow this to happen. It appears as though Gayle Tatman is taking the fail, but she could not have acted on this along, because it is usually the business practice that everything goes through the board, which is why most companies have a board. Therefore, my question is how could a volunteer get away with this amount of money, for so long, without someone noticing it? I mean, reading between the lines, what’s really going on?
In any event, referrals are been sent to the Grove City food pantry, who has and is serving its community, in spite of this volunteer, trustee, and board member’s misrepresentation, which would not have been know until it was brought out in the media or by word of mouth. Consider the source,“Pantry trustee Ron Miller said board member and volunteer Gayle Tatman managed the money”. WOW!
As far as you not being able to get a job, well, I cannot see where this action depicts you being unemployed. Maybe volunteering is something you should think about; because I am sure with your honesty you can make a difference.
Quack

Columbus, OH

#9 Jan 7, 2011
Terrible Ted wrote:
<quoted text>
Hiring a CPA to review the books each year would have been a cheap way to avoid this. It's a well know problem with nonprofits that the management controls and discipline of a firm that gets audited and pays taxes. At least the business owner has to worry about IRS audits if nothing else and it would go a long way to reduce some of the risk or temptation of volunteers.
Walter Wymer and Adrian Sargeant, author of “Managing Fundraising” in the “Fundraising Principles and Practices” describes the extremely and valuable resource in a nonprofit organization is the fundraising volunteer, because they are effect the make-up for any deficiency in the fundraising professionals, i.e.“energy, credibility, vitality, and fundraising efforts”(Wymer and Sargeant). In addition, volunteers fulfill official status within the organization, e.g. busy annual or capital campaign, planners, decision makers, and organizers (Wymer and Sargeant). Moreover, volunteers’ roles are critical for the nonprofit organization, because they are committed, but are sometimes misused.
According to Walter Wymer and Adrian Sargeant, author of “Managing Fundraising” in the “Fundraising Principles and Practices” the volunteer program should be evaluated for their performance, because their program perform the same as the paid staff, internal program (Wymer and Sargeant). Therefore, performing an evaluation on the volunteer program management depicts the periodic appraisal of their performance and assistance of the organization and goals, because it elicits the future process and agrees on a suitable development opportunity that can be “implemented”(Wymer and Sargeant). However, respectably, the nonprofit organization should strive, collectedly, to evaluate the volunteer program and internal program, because the volunteer program is necessary to gather relevant information and feedback for decision making (Wymer and Sargeant). Wymer and Sargeant list how the evaluation system is measure:
1. The proportion of volunteers being retained each year
2. Trends in these data
3. Whether volunteer staffing requirements are being met
4. The level of staff satisfaction with volunteers’ performance
5. Key areas, which staff feels volunteers’ performance needs to improve
6. Levels of volunteer satisfaction and trends in these data
7. Data on aspects of the volunteer role that volunteers like most and least
8. How volunteers rate their own performance
9. Ways in which volunteers believe performance could be enhanced
10. Volunteers’ perceptions of the quality of their supervision (Wymer and Sargeant).
Consider the source,“Pantry trustee Ron Miller said board member and volunteer Gayle Tatman managed the money”. WOW!
Theres a fly in my soup

United States

#10 Jan 7, 2011
Quack wrote:
<quoted text>
Walter Wymer and Adrian Sargeant, author of “Managing Fundraising” in the “Fundraising Principles and Practices” describes the extremely and valuable resource in a nonprofit organization is the fundraising volunteer, because they are effect the make-up for any deficiency in the fundraising professionals, i.e.“energy, credibility, vitality, and fundraising efforts”(Wymer and Sargeant). In addition, volunteers fulfill official status within the organization, e.g. busy annual or capital campaign, planners, decision makers, and organizers (Wymer and Sargeant). Moreover, volunteers’ roles are critical for the nonprofit organization, because they are committed, but are sometimes misused.
According to Walter Wymer and Adrian Sargeant, author of “Managing Fundraising” in the “Fundraising Principles and Practices” the volunteer program should be evaluated for their performance, because their program perform the same as the paid staff, internal program (Wymer and Sargeant). Therefore, performing an evaluation on the volunteer program management depicts the periodic appraisal of their performance and assistance of the organization and goals, because it elicits the future process and agrees on a suitable development opportunity that can be “implemented”(Wymer and Sargeant). However, respectably, the nonprofit organization should strive, collectedly, to evaluate the volunteer program and internal program, because the volunteer program is necessary to gather relevant information and feedback for decision making (Wymer and Sargeant). Wymer and Sargeant list how the evaluation system is measure:
1. The proportion of volunteers being retained each year
2. Trends in these data
3. Whether volunteer staffing requirements are being met
4. The level of staff satisfaction with volunteers’ performance
5. Key areas, which staff feels volunteers’ performance needs to improve
6. Levels of volunteer satisfaction and trends in these data
7. Data on aspects of the volunteer role that volunteers like most and least
8. How volunteers rate their own performance
9. Ways in which volunteers believe performance could be enhanced
10. Volunteers’ perceptions of the quality of their supervision (Wymer and Sargeant).
Consider the source,“Pantry trustee Ron Miller said board member and volunteer Gayle Tatman managed the money”. WOW!
What does this have to do with her putting the money into her checking account and changing the payee on the checks to her, her insurance company, her credit card company etc? A person or persons stealing over $200,000 is not good. Makes no sense to me that financial controls were not in place. This is a widespread problem at nonprofits and not one bad egg as you put it. This is well established in the industry literature and easy to find for yourself online.

The Most Common Financial, Management Risks Facing Nonprofits ...The risks in financial management are any actions that result in the reduction in ... Fraud is the most common crime perpetrated against nonprofits..... Accounting controls are the procedure used to safeguard the nonprofit's assets....
eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov ›...› Fiscal › Program Management - Cached - Similar
SOX Rox

Zanesville, OH

#11 Jan 7, 2011
I guess non-profits are not required to pass Sarbanes-Oxley audits. If so, this never would have happened.
super fly

Delaware, OH

#12 Jan 7, 2011
throw her in jail and don't feed her. tell her the pantry is bare. let the punishment fit the crime.
The Real P Citizen

United States

#13 Jan 7, 2011
G I Joe wrote:
And people are to give to these places when they let someone like her to take care of the finances. To little to late how will she pay it back in prison?
Don't know.
But Bubbette will always get her cut!
Sylvester Howell

Zanesville, OH

#14 Jan 7, 2011
It is a sad day indeed when such trust has been be mis-used and the poor individuals in this area are denied needed services...Hope she receives the whole thirty years from the judge. But, more than likely she'll end up on probation and order to perform community service. She done her community service already, send her to prison.....
Crock of crap

Bellevue, OH

#15 Jan 7, 2011
Keep checking the papers for the real estate and personal propery auction in the future so it can go toward her debt....Lol....
Church Lady

Columbus, OH

#16 Jan 8, 2011
"Oh, they'll never know or miss the money". Just a little here and there. Greed got the best of her didn't it? how license plates will she have to stamp to make up the loss?
Dik N Ballz

Flint, MI

#17 Jan 8, 2011
Way to go Gayle ,thanks so much for "volunteering" to strip and plunder a frigging charity . Maybe now you can help fellow prisoners with your generosity and life-coaching skills!9049
Says me

Columbus, OH

#18 Jan 8, 2011
Well, it can be assured NONE of the money was used on cosmetic surgery. Guaranteed.
ASHAMED

Westerville, OH

#19 Jan 8, 2011
This woman should be ashamed of herself. When she goes to prison, she can get a prison job and all the funds should go to restitution. What a scuzzo.
Kant spel

Columbus, OH

#21 Jan 9, 2011
Then let them eat pastry!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grove City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
white trash in mountsterling (Aug '15) 11 hr He is 12
Joe Johnson 11 hr Know him 2
Tyler rice will never be anything 11 hr Still waiting 1
Apts on Main St Mon Lol 4
Mutly Margo (Apr '13) Apr 28 Karen 26
DramaRama Apr 27 Puff 1
Who is Suzie mertins? Jw Apr 27 fedupfriend 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grove City Mortgages