Groton won't give up on downtown plan

Groton won't give up on downtown plan

There are 11 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Dec 14, 2010, titled Groton won't give up on downtown plan. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

After decades of working on the idea to turn Station Avenue into a promenade of shops, restaurants and apartments, the town still can't find a developer interested in the downtown makeover at his own risk.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

grotonite

Westford, MA

#1 Dec 15, 2010
Take a look at the "success" of Mill Run Plaza. That's what Station Ave will be - massage therapists, real estate agents, chinese takeout, and nail salons.

I've said this for years: Station Ave will never be Concord Center, which is what the idealists think it will become.
Shack

Groton, MA

#2 Dec 15, 2010
grotonite wrote:
Take a look at the "success" of Mill Run Plaza. That's what Station Ave will be - massage therapists, real estate agents, chinese takeout, and nail salons.
I've said this for years: Station Ave will never be Concord Center, which is what the idealists think it will become.
Yes, I agree... Your Post could have been written by me....
Shasha

Lexington, MA

#3 Mar 29, 2011
Why not? Groton is a beautiful town with a fabulous town center that people utilize quite often. There is no comparison to Mill Run, apples to oranges. Groton center is a place to stroll about, with it's shops and lovely scenery. Mill run is a plaza that one would drive to. I KNOW that Groton has the right ideas and is made of the right stuff to have the vision and realization to see the potential for developing its downtown into a mini version of Concord/Lexington. It will happen and it will thrive and succeed and the residents will make full use of it. Wish I live there!!!
shack

Groton, MA

#4 Apr 2, 2011
Groton is a beautiful town. Empty schools..empty
church....empty affordable housing units...empty
retail buildings...

Check real estate listings...last time I checked,
it was between 50 - 75 houses.

Solution build more...?

I don't believe the "people of Groton" were advised
of what the "boards, committees" desire.

Topix is for thoughts and opinions..these are mine.

Wish the emporer would rule his own town.
shack

Groton, MA

#5 Apr 8, 2011
Watched the "Planning Board" tonight on Local Acess
....boy, they are insistant that building more
condominiums (3 0f which are "affordable": behind a
Historical building on Main Street is (can hardly find the right word) the correct way to go.

There are approximately 100 Real Estate Properties
for sale, within Groton, MA. Some are "affordable"
which have NOT been sold. Why build more..?

Please check for yourself as to the residences which are now in "foreclosure" in Groton, MA.

Also, I do not understand that they want to redo/reroute a driveway from a Historic Main Street to the proposed Condo site...It will only reroute more traffic to/from/into from the Main Street....as well as many as toilet flushes from the uphill down to the Main Street.

The above are short paragraphs as to how most feel about this "Planning Board" crap.

Anyone thinking about "strolling"
down the street in their aging years to the "Shops" ...think about crossing the street to ie: Moisons...carrying groceries from Donelans. Phfft!

R.E.Agents and consorts. Greed rules your thoughts.

Puhleeze..think with your own minds, NOT with the
Emporor \ "Got along without you, before I met ya.
gona get along without ya now..."
sol

Groton, MA

#6 Apr 8, 2011
shack wrote:
Watched the "Planning Board" tonight on Local Acess
....boy, they are insistant that building more
condominiums (3 0f which are "affordable": behind a
Historical building on Main Street is (can hardly find the right word) the correct way to go.

There are approximately 100 Real Estate Properties
for sale, within Groton, MA. Some are "affordable"
which have NOT been sold. Why build more..?

Please check for yourself as to the residences which are now in "foreclosure" in Groton, MA.

Also, I do not understand that they want to redo/reroute a driveway from a Historic Main Street to the proposed Condo site...It will only reroute more traffic to/from/into from the Main Street....as well as many as toilet flushes from the uphill down to the Main Street.

The above are short paragraphs as to how most feel about this "Planning Board" crap.

Anyone thinking about "strolling"
down the street in their aging years to the "Shops" ...think about crossing the street to ie: Moisons...carrying groceries from Donelans. Phfft!

R.E.Agents and consorts. Greed rules your thoughts.

Puhleeze..think with your own minds, NOT with the
Emporor \ "Got along without you, before I met ya.
gona get along without ya now..."
Whew.... You just post negative crap everywhere. Don't bother telling us you just think its the truth. Last I checked all the houses that have been sold in the last 5 years have been sold to a younger crowd w money that would love to see improvements in the center. Exactly the type to stroll and shop...while we pay our taxes. Greed has nothing to do with wanting to improve the quality of life. If you don't like it, leave.

Furthermore, last I checked there were hundreds of foreclosures in all the towns surrounding us and oh yeah.... THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. Don't think that is such a great indicator for Groton to stop trying to improve......

BUILD IT.
former grotonite

United States

#7 Apr 10, 2011
Mill Run is a stripmall dropped onto a plot in the middle of nowhere; Groton Center is a place where people sometimes stop simply for the pleasure of being there.
Torn

Groton, MA

#8 Jun 16, 2011
"Groton won't Give Up"

Well, I guess I do. Seemingly the lemmings or sheep
do not use their voices to their Selectmen.

And/or somehow the peoples town hall has been turned into the "Tails wagging the Dog".
HAPPY CAMPER

Groton, MA

#9 Jun 23, 2011
Church site going back on the market
Roberta

Pepperell, MA

#10 Jun 23, 2011
While I do not live in Groton, I do live nearby. When I am in Groton, I see memories of times gone by, I see people who love their Town. I see Historic sites, that remind me of how this place came to be the Beauty that it is.

Why not have these developers, if they must bring :NEW: revenue to such a WONDERFUL TOWN, take these olde yet Historic buildings that are getting run down and turn them into 1) affordable housing
2) Flower Shops
3) Olde Fashioned Book Stores with books with the History o this Entire part of the State.
4) Meeting Places for young and
OLD
5) Places like Loaves & Fishes that give to those in dire need.
6) Craft Store and Vendors

Need I say more? The list goes on and on, Yet we would be saving this Beautiful Towne from destruction. We would be adding to the beauty by renovating the Olde to Blend with the History of What Grotn Really is. An undeniable Beautifful Hystoric Towne. Please Let Us Save HER!!
Gregory T

Groton, MA

#11 Sep 27, 2011
I can't understand this whole thing with Station Ave. This area is where the old Train Station stood. Why in the world aren't we trying to do more with the history of this town. Something like that makes a lot more sense. This town is hell bent on doing things that will ultimately ruin the town.

If they want to do something you have that area where Shaws is. Someone not long ago wanted to but a restraunt there and the town shot it down. There are things like perhaps a Christmas Tree Store or something like it that could go out near there. Well perhaps it is a dumb idea. Well if so then let's hear of some other ideas that could be done in that area. The town needs serious money not housing which most people these days aren't buying anyway

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Billerica weighs smaller lot sizes to attract h... May 2 hammerhead 1
News Is The Driving Age In MA Too Young? (Apr '06) Apr 29 Hypocrisy person... 324
News Trip home from work turned into 'tragic' accident (Jan '08) Apr 20 Jeffrey Irvine 1020 3
News 2 attempt to steal car in front of housing court (Jan '08) Apr 20 Jeffrey Irvine 1012 4
News Police Briefs (Jan '08) Apr 20 Jeffrey Irvine 612 8
News Cragin's life has spanned many genres (Jan '08) Apr 20 Jeffrey Irvine 610 2
News The river runs through her Documentary to trace... (Jan '08) Apr 20 Irvine 403 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Groton Mortgages