Horses have the right of way

Horses have the right of way

There are 28 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Dec 2, 2010, titled Horses have the right of way. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

I writing on behalf of Massachusetts Horse Owners. Almost on a daily basis, I ride or lead our horses on the roads around our rural community of Westford.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
horse pies

East Hampton, CT

#1 Dec 2, 2010
Mr. Horsefeathers of Westford is aghast that the public is, "uneducated drivers about horses' right of way." Actually, far more people are careful than careless around horses in the road or we would be reading about numerous accidents on our roads. Elitist claptrap.
karen

Gloucester, MA

#2 Dec 2, 2010
Maybe you shouldn't be out on roads with double yellow lines running down the middle of them during rush hours.

As someone who always slows down, sometimes stops (if there are no vehicles behind me) and swings wide left (when the opportunity presents itself)--you also have an obligation to use common sense.

PS--Bad news. Westford has not been considered "rural" for at least 10-15 years.
Like it or not, you live in the 'burbs.
F N Hadit

Wellesley, MA

#3 Dec 2, 2010
Well, right of way or not, where is the common sense of the rider, you obviously KNOW that there is a lot of traffic on the roads in this day and age, why don't you ride on the trails through all the consevation land or in the open fields? There is plenty of safe areas set aside for non motorized uses, but I guess you couldn't show off your horsey-worsey, could you? You sound like one of those bozos who ride in the middle of the road and won't move over because I GOT MY RIGHTS TOO! Well, think a little bit before you go riding your Big Mac on the Hoof down the middle of the road.
Annieo

Tewksbury, MA

#4 Dec 2, 2010
Sometimes bringing a vehicle to a screeching halt is not a viable alternative. One must consider ALL safety issues in any particular situation and there's no way I'm going to jeopardize my safety or those in a vehicle behind me because someone who shouldn't be on the roadway is. I'm tired of horse people thinking they own everything around here. I can't take my dogs to the wildlife refuge in Concord because they might frighten the horses. I pick up after my dog in Great Brook State Park while I'm dodging huge piles of horse waste. Maybe it's time that for the safety of EVERYONE horses should not be allowed on a public roadway.
ha ha

Lowell, MA

#5 Dec 2, 2010
Are there any Laws that says we the
"Drivers" may drive through thier barn? If so... would WE have the right of way?
Horse Owner

Randolph, MA

#6 Dec 2, 2010
The ignorance astounds me. Horses played a major role in the history of America, and IT IS THE LAW that horses have the right of way. Stop being so selfcentered. We as horse owners have just as much right to use the roadways as anyone in a car,on a motorcycle, and a bike.
townie

Nashua, NH

#7 Dec 2, 2010
As a horse owner whose wife and kids ride, I have to agree that far too many people are either too ignorant or in too much of a hurry to take the necessary precautions when encountering a horse and rider on a public way.

HOWEVER, using the fact that "IT IS THE LAW" is no excuse for a rider to take to public ways with an animal that in nothing less than bomb proof. If your horse spooks at cars, motorcycles, trucks, etc, then do not take him out on public ways where he will encounter those things.

I once got yelled at by a woman on horseback for riding my bicycle on the Nashua River Rail Trail. Even though I slowed to a crawl and gave her all the room I could when I passed her, apparently her horse spooks at bicycles. When I saw the horse's nervousness, I immediately stopped, got off and laid the bike down then I told her that she should not ride where she knows she will encounter bicycles.
sinners fill hacienda

Long Island City, NY

#8 Dec 2, 2010
pedestrians and bicyclists have the right of way as well. It means nothing to today's drivers. Get on your bikes and ride. fyi Westford is definitly not rural
Red Ted Kennedy

Tyngsboro, MA

#9 Dec 2, 2010
Horses may have the right of way but in Mass., jackarses always get their way!
Corey

United States

#10 Dec 2, 2010
Read as:

"My Good sirs,

I do implore you when operating your motorcar within range of my fine steed, please do follow the laws and regulations of our Commonwealth! I too, am trying to get from my McMansion on a Cul-de-sac - to use the venacular - to the Chili's and perhaps the Market Basket along the great road from Salisburytown to Worcestershire. My mount is easily frightened by your hurried driving along the rural, six lane, signalised, asphalt country road we are journeying along. So please, a full stop if you will?

Sincerely,

GLENN COGSWELL"
Pete

Bedford, MA

#11 Dec 2, 2010
I have an Equestion for you. Why do you ride your horse on the road everyday. Maybe 50 years ago that was ok but use your common sense before you get someone killed. Buy a horse trailer if you need the road that much.
Giddu UP

Dracut, MA

#12 Dec 2, 2010
Of course we all should ride our horses on the raod. Why not! Do you have to license and register your horse Glen? DO you have to insure it? Hum maybe your horse is an illegal alien
Giddu UP

Dracut, MA

#13 Dec 2, 2010
Horse Owner wrote:
The ignorance astounds me. Horses played a major role in the history of America, and IT IS THE LAW that horses have the right of way. Stop being so selfcentered. We as horse owners have just as much right to use the roadways as anyone in a car,on a motorcycle, and a bike.
As soon as you register and insure your mat cart you can use the road
Patrick Henry

Westford, MA

#16 Dec 2, 2010
Horse Owner wrote:
Why don't you pay fees to have your mangy horse interfering with the heavily taxed motorist. If you need more space for you and your horse move to Northern Vermont.
Patrick Henry

Westford, MA

#17 Dec 2, 2010
Corey wrote:
Read as:

.... My mount is easily frightened by your hurried driving along the rural, six lane, signalised, asphalt country road we are journeying along. So please, a full stop if you will?
Sincerely,
GLENN COGSWELL"
If I see you or your horse on 495 be prepared to get a bumper up your sweet bippy. Horses and Jackasses are not allowed on 495 by federal law.
The Patriot

Waltham, MA

#18 Dec 3, 2010
There's right and then there's dead right. Which one do you want to be?
Wibur

Boston, MA

#19 Dec 3, 2010
I have no problem with horses in the road, but I do have a problem with the folks that leave the big piles of horse sh*t in the road!
Annieo

Rockville, MD

#20 Dec 3, 2010
Not once did I say I wouldn't obey the law-I married into a family where horses are supreme. However, horse people have to understand the world has changed and they need to take that into consideration. However, without a doubt horse people are the most arrogant and self-centered group I've run into and want the world to revolve around them instead of working together to find a viable solution.
hummer

Norwich, CT

#21 Dec 3, 2010
Horse Owner wrote:
Cars and motorcycles pay tax for the roads when they gas up, bikes leave no waste on the roads or paths to clean up,clean up after your horse like people with dogs do. See there's no problem,just clean up after riding. Nobody wants to step in it. We can all get along just carry a bucket.
Horse Owner

Randolph, MA

#22 Dec 7, 2010
I do pay fees for my horses. In my town I am required to have a livestock permet, as well as have my barn and animals inspected every year. Both of which are seperate fees. I also have my horses insured, which cost me a yearly premium so that if some chance my animals injure someone I am covered. JUST LIKE A CAR

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fitchburg prostitution sting nets five arrests (Oct '13) Dec 7 Notsodumb 86
News Friends say ex-Shirley town administrator consu... (Jun '10) Nov 27 Inquiry 63
Supervisors at Archive Systems In Littleton (Oct '16) Nov '17 Data Entry Worker 10
News Rape charges dropped in Westford beach case (Sep '09) Nov '17 News 43
News Pepperell man, wheelchair-bound father face rap... (Oct '09) Nov '17 Knowledge 256
News Backtalk: 4/8/2010 (Apr '10) Oct '17 jeannashobavalley 5
News Frustration ignites tempers, assault charges re... (Oct '08) Oct '17 Peppone 4

Groton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Groton Mortgages