Rear-end collision sends car careening across median

Full story: Lowell Sun

Two men from central Massachusetts are dead after the sport utility vehicle they were riding in early yesterday morning was rear-ended on Interstate 495, propelling it out of control across the median and into the path of a tractor-trailer. The horrific crash snarled the early-morning commute on both sides of the highway, as traffic was narrowed to ...
Comments
21 - 40 of 92 Comments Last updated Dec 18, 2012
Littleton Ma resident

Littleton, MA

#22 Aug 27, 2009
My heart goes out to the families anf friends of those lives lost in yesterday's tragic crash. I travel and live right off this streth of highway and it is NO different than any other stretch of highway all over. It IS the DRIVERS driving the stretch that make it dangerous, reading books, texting, talking on phone and overall not paying attention. When will people learn? So sad.
Beebs

Boston, MA

#23 Aug 27, 2009
My condolences to the families.

This area has become more dangerous for sure. On Sunday night I was traveling north going 70 in the right hand lane and all of a sudden there was a car on my tail, he passed me and it was a man in his early 20's texting while driving. I then saw him ride the tail of a car in the middle lane before he got off the highway. I'm lucky my car has the Microsoft Sync system so it's all hands free. Also guardrails are a good idea. I don't understand why they don't really use them anymore. This could happen on Route 3 as well as there are places where it's just grass and that is not going to slow a car down.
lowellma

Sandwich, MA

#24 Aug 27, 2009
i happen to know the driver and he did not rearend the honda crv the honda swerved into him and if you look at the damge to the crv there is no way it got rear ended and the damge on his car also shows there is no way he rearended the crv. all and all it was an accident its no ones fault these things happen. so everyone who is here laying blame you are wrong to do that it could be you some day.
Lowell

Hampstead, NH

#25 Aug 27, 2009
It's sad, but I bet many of you cut people off too. I have yet to see a driver in Mass. actually yield when getting on a highway. It's not even safe to drive in the right lane either!
ScrewballS

Chelmsford, MA

#26 Aug 27, 2009
Until you MASS HOLES learn to friggen drive people will continue getting killed. Its not that FN hard. PAY THE F ATTENTION YOU MASS HOLES.
happymadison

Lawrence, MA

#27 Aug 27, 2009
ScrewballS wrote:
Until you MASS HOLES learn to friggen drive people will continue getting killed. Its not that FN hard. PAY THE F ATTENTION YOU MASS HOLES.

You have issues bro. You were becoming unglued with your postings for that Atamian dude now you are a complete mess. Check yourself in for a psych eval.
Dennis S

Salisbury, MD

#28 Aug 27, 2009
This is John Cousinea's Uncle. No words of mine our going to ease the pain and suffering that everyone involved in such a tragedy will endure. My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by this. This terrible news i recieved today was shocking to all of John's Family where i reside in Salisbury, Md.
young and 21

Clinton, MA

#29 Aug 27, 2009
you know, there have been a few comments categorising drivers by age. While that plays a small part, it all comes down to people need to be responsible no matter how old. Driving like a maniac isn't going to get you anywhere sooner! but I do agree that the state needs to add guardrails along that stretch and TRY to cut down on some of the reckless driving.(by stopping people)
Realtor

Concord, MA

#30 Aug 27, 2009
My prayers go out the Henry's family & friends, an associate of mine, Henry always took the time to make sure his clients were taken care of! Great guy, he will be greatly missed!
Leland

Lowell, MA

#32 Aug 27, 2009
That roadway is like a speedway,traffic regualrly travels in excess of 75-80MPH. If your going 70 youll get pushed right of the road. The road needs speed enforcement from the State Police. If the State lacks resources maybee they should let the towns along the highway help them.
Steve

Lowell, MA

#33 Aug 27, 2009
I was driving on 495 a couple of weeks ago. I was doing 75, staying with the flow of traffic in front of me in the left lane. Some idiot gets on my bumper tailgating me. There was no where for me to since there were cars in front of me. I stayed a safe distance. The guy was ticking me off, so I let off the gas, then hit my brakes.

Slowed down considerably. Then I flipped him off to get the hint, the moron had the nerve to flip me off and beep his horn. Lol. He then moved to the right lane, so I sped up and ended up blocking him in that lane. LOL, you people should try that some time.
ScrewballS

Chelmsford, MA

#34 Aug 27, 2009
Steve wrote:
I was driving on 495 a couple of weeks ago. I was doing 75, staying with the flow of traffic in front of me in the left lane. Some idiot gets on my bumper tailgating me. There was no where for me to since there were cars in front of me. I stayed a safe distance. The guy was ticking me off, so I let off the gas, then hit my brakes.
Slowed down considerably. Then I flipped him off to get the hint, the moron had the nerve to flip me off and beep his horn. Lol. He then moved to the right lane, so I sped up and ended up blocking him in that lane. LOL, you people should try that some time.
Steve what you did was dangerous, evil and vile. I LOVE IT!!
RIP to the victims

Nashua, NH

#35 Aug 27, 2009
To the friend of the driver that hit the CRV..
Are you sure that your friend is telling you the truth? From reports by eyewitnesses it is said that he was driving eratically before the crash and also that he tried to start his car after the crash? You better hope your friend is not lying otherwise he is a killer and a liar.
An Old Friend

Richmond, KY

#36 Aug 27, 2009
Praying for your family Henry, and remembering old times. You've left a proud name to a fine looking young son who I know will wear it with the same pride that you did.
boston1950

Haverhill, MA

#37 Aug 27, 2009
I went down 495 southbound shortly after the crash and saw the Chevy Malibu with the front of the car totally crumpled. Maybe traffic slowed and the driver was either going too fast or was tailgating and couldn't stop. Regardless, I see this behavior all the time. If you leave appropriate space between you and the car ahead of you some aggressive idiot just cuts in front.

A firend of mine was in a similar accident on route 24 southbound last March. Got hit from behind by a speeding driver (25 years old) pushing him of the road to the left and rolling over about 5 times. He somehow survived the crash. The other guy went off the road to the right and hit a tree about 20 feet in the air and then his car dropped to the ground. He has serious injuries but survived also.
Not Funny

Middleton, MA

#38 Aug 27, 2009
When people treat driving like a game, it's no surprise that accidents happen. You're playing with everyone's lives, you idiot. Grow up.
Steve wrote:
Jethro Bodine

Montgomery, AL

#40 Aug 28, 2009
Twenty-one year old driver kills two yet no one wants to force those under 26 (the worst drivers) to prove they have the capabilities to drive safely.
c u later

Lowell, MA

#41 Aug 28, 2009
I'm so glad I don't have to drive that way anymore - the commute was scary (to say the least)every day - here's an idea to those that use a phone while driving/going too fast, etc. Leave 15 minutes earlier, then you won't have to drive so fast, and you'll have time for messages when you get to your destination!
LowellGal

Dracut, MA

#42 Aug 28, 2009
I drive this stretch of road every day (from 38 in Tewksbury to 29B toward Acton) and have become increasingly afraid of the drive. I'm bracing myself for an even scarier commute as school starts and everyone's back from vacation.
Driving 80 in the fast lane still invites tailgaters...and it's difficult to move to the center lane when those drivers suddenly appear on your tail. If you can't move, they simply play checkers (moving in and out of lanes to pass). And who wants to drive in the far right with short merge lanes that dump you directly onto a highway in front of drivers using it as a passing lane? So how about the middle lane? That's not safe either -- a tractor trailer almost creamed me a couple of days ago when they shifted to the center lane when another car merged onto the highway in the right lane.
The new pavement on this part of 495 is also much more slick than before (and why did they re-pave a perfectly good portion of the highway?)
I never thought I'd say this, but I would welcome more state troopers or local cops on the highways.
Jackie

Haverhill, MA

#43 Aug 28, 2009
Where are the state troopers. It was my knowledge speed limit was 65, until they start pulling over people and not just riding up peoples butts going over 80 themselves, non of this will stop.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arrest Log: 12/15/2010 (Dec '10) Aug 20 Will 17
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Aug 16 Kundrot dionkie 1,163
Serving life for Ayer murder, ex-Green Beret su... (Jan '09) Aug 15 ANGLETURNER 107
Kariel swanfeldt Aug 10 Somegirl 7
Rape charges dropped in Westford beach case (Sep '09) Aug 9 Morgan 34
Town hires towing firm despite worker's history (Jul '07) Aug 9 Crystal 17
Debate: Gay Marriage - Pepperell, MA (Jan '12) Aug 7 Resident 7
•••

Groton News Video

•••
Groton Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Groton Jobs