Rear-end collision sends car careening across median

Full story: Lowell Sun 92
Two men from central Massachusetts are dead after the sport utility vehicle they were riding in early yesterday morning was rear-ended on Interstate 495, propelling it out of control across the median and into the path of a tractor-trailer. The horrific crash snarled the early-morning commute on both sides of the highway, as traffic was narrowed to ... Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Barb

Chicago, IL

#1 Aug 27, 2009
RT. 495...besides it being a very heavily traveled road, it won't come as a surprise to anyone that the average speed of drivers is 80-90 mph!!! Combine that with many drivers talking on cell phones or texting and accidents are inevitable.
My condolences to the family of the men who lost their lives yesterday.
Sadden by accident

Quincy, MA

#2 Aug 27, 2009
My prayers and thoughts go out to the families of all involved in horrific accident yesterday. I like many saw the vehicle and all I could do was say a prayer. My first thing when I arrived at work was to call my husband and say did I remember to tell you I loved you before I left this morning.
Littleton resident

Austin, TX

#3 Aug 27, 2009
I agress with Barb. People drive too fast! If you drive at 70 mph, you have to drive in the rightmost lane in order to avoid being tailgated.
Friend

Bridgeport, WV

#4 Aug 27, 2009
Henry O'Brien's old classmates from Lexington, Ky., who read about this story b/c of a link on Facebook, are dazed and upset. RIP, Henry and friend.
sara

United States

#5 Aug 27, 2009
It really has nothing to do with the road, it's the drivers. They ride your a$$ no matter how fast you are going they want to go fast. They weave in and out like they are playing a video game. I look in my rearview mirror anytime on my ride to work and it looks like the car behind me the driver is sitting in my back seat. We need more speed traps on this highway, sorry I don't want a ticket as much as the next person. But I also don't feel like driving down the highway and having a car flying at me from the other side and killing me cuz some 21yr punk feels the need to drive like an a hole.
uyt

Lowell, MA

#6 Aug 27, 2009
not an elderly driver wtf.... why doesnt the state retest them like every 6 months
concerned driver

Littleton, MA

#7 Aug 27, 2009
My prayers are with the families of the victims. Drivers need to WAKE UP to the responsibilities we assume every time we turn the key in the ignition. We need to keep our eyes & mind on the road at all times & show some COURTESY! Don't tailgate; pass if it's safe. Follow the car in front of you at a safe distance. Pull over if someone is tailing you. Don't cut people off. Obey the speed limits- they're posted for a reason. A car can be a useful tool or a deadly weapon. It all depends on us.
taxpoor

Littleton, MA

#8 Aug 27, 2009
Unfortunately, all the improvements in the world to Rt 495, or any roadway for that matter, won't change the fact that the person behind the wheel is ultimately responsible for their vehicle. Speed, lack of attention, impatience and alcohol are probably the major causes of these tragedies. So sad, my heart goes out to the families of those who lost their lives,
Another Friend

United States

#9 Aug 27, 2009
Thoughts and prayers for the O'Brien from all of your Kentucky friends and former classmates, wherever we may now be. My heart is a little heavier this morning.
saddened

Lowell, MA

#10 Aug 27, 2009
The state police need to step up and go after aggressive drivers and tailgaters. I see people weaving in and out of lanes every day, passing on the right and with no blinker, and tailgating everyone in front of them. These kinds of drivers cause deaths all over the country every day.
Saddam Did The Rope Dance

Biddeford, ME

#11 Aug 27, 2009
Barb wrote:
RT. 495...besides it being a very heavily traveled road, it won't come as a surprise to anyone that the average speed of drivers is 80-90 mph!!! Combine that with many drivers talking on cell phones or texting and accidents are inevitable.
My condolences to the family of the men who lost their lives yesterday.
..So very true!!..Even at 70 you get taol gated in the first lane. Twice a week the same Subaru STI that turo charged rocket they make would pass everybody going at least 140. Full of passengers also (Young teens) 495 and 128..Giant pinball machine!!
Millgirl

Chicago, IL

#12 Aug 27, 2009
uyt wrote:
not an elderly driver ****.... why doesnt the state retest them like every 6 months
Learn to read. The driver was a 21 year old who rear ended the honda. Please keep the elderly driver thing out of this.
LCH87

Louisville, KY

#13 Aug 27, 2009
We have lost a dear friend in Henry O'Brien and one that will never be forgotten. My heartfealt condolences to his young family.
reader

United States

#14 Aug 27, 2009
Saddam Did The Rope Dance wrote:
<quoted text>..So very true!!..Even at 70 you get taol gated in the first lane. Twice a week the same Subaru STI that turo charged rocket they make would pass everybody going at least 140. Full of passengers also (Young teens) 495 and 128..Giant pinball machine!!
I drive this road and agree; even at 75 mph, there are drivers tailgating, weaving in and out of lanes, cutting people off. It's not just this road, though...it's every road. This morning, getting on the MassPike at exit 10, I had a car behind me pass me doing at least 35mph going through the 10 mph Fast Lane. He cut back in front of me to get on the ramp, had to slam on his brakes because of the pickup truck in front of him. Did not clear the "climb" lane before moving over a lane (no signal BTW), cutting off a tractor trailer that had to quickly change lanes. 1/2 mile later, he sped my a State Trooper. Of course, by then he was simply cruising through the passing lane and was not stopped.

Traveling at 75mph in dry, good conditions is not the problem. Weaving in and out of lanes, tailgating, passing on the right, cutting off drivers IS the real problem. Speed traps won't fix this. Unmarked cars need to be traveling with traffic and pulling over these yahoos.
Jane

Providence, RI

#16 Aug 27, 2009
saddened wrote:
The state police need to step up and go after aggressive drivers and tailgaters. I see people weaving in and out of lanes every day, passing on the right and with no blinker, and tailgating everyone in front of them. These kinds of drivers cause deaths all over the country every day.
Exactly! I drive 80 miles a day and at this point, I've seen it all. People drive like a-holes, there's no road improvements that will change that.
Elderly Driver

Lowell, MA

#17 Aug 27, 2009
uyt wrote:
not an elderly driver ****.... why doesnt the state retest them like every 6 months
Learn to read. The driver was a 21 year old who rear ended the honda. Please keep the elderly driver thing out of this.

Millgirl you are so right....here again it is a 21 yo that causes this accident and the news media frenzy on elderly drivers is nowhere to be found. I'll bet if that was a 70 yo driver, the headline would have been" 70 yo elderly driver kills 2 people on Rte.495"
frazzled

Sandwich, MA

#18 Aug 27, 2009
i live very close to where this happened and i have learned to avoid this area completely. but i feel like no matter what highway you are on, you have to watch out for yourself. their are so many people out there that like to sit inside your backseat and fly down the highway. cruising in and out of lanes. something needs to be done. my biggest fear is having my 2 young girls hurt because of someone a$$hole out there.
my thoughts and prayers are with both these men's family
Mike J

United States

#19 Aug 27, 2009
Ricca Resident wrote:
Some questions though. How come that stretch of 495 doesn't have a guardrail? Seems to me a guardrail would have kept the CRV on the South bound side. The crash would have still been severe and the injuries would have been too, but they wouldn't have been fatal.
Because that would be the best(more costly) approach. Instead they will put up more signs for you to read so you won't always have your eyes on the road. A barrier in the center island should be required on all highways and any road with an island.
Maggie1

Salem, MA

#20 Aug 27, 2009
The person who suggested guardrails has an excellent idea. And then station marked and unmarked crusiers along that stretch of road and ticket anyone going over 75, weaving or tailgating,rtc. The overtime would be more than paid by all the uneducated that can't read speed limit signs. And sorry - but it is time to ban hand held cell phonmes while driving. We were doing 75 in the right hand lane the other day and almost got readended by a young driver with a cell phone up to his ear. And leave the seniors alone . Some day you will be in our shoes and I'll bet you won't like having your driving curtailed then. I have no problems with taking a road test every couple of years.
Karen

Burlington, MA

#21 Aug 27, 2009
It seems like this area has been in the news a lot for accidents.Maybe they need to set up speed traps like they do on the Lowell connector. It seems to have made a lot of improvement on the speeding

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rape charges dropped in Westford beach case (Sep '09) Oct 16 idgaf 35
Serving life for Ayer murder, ex-Green Beret su... (Jan '09) Oct 6 ANGLETURNER 109
Garden Club plant swap a success Sep '14 gramk 1
Snapchat pic trade Sep '14 Curlytopis 1
State's highest court to mull murder conviction... Sep '14 ANGLETURNER 1
Political Correct Hollywood is Leading the War ... Sep '14 Culture Auditor 1
Kariel swanfeldt Aug '14 Nonono 9

Groton News Video

Groton Dating
Find my Match

Groton Jobs

Groton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Groton News, Events & Info