Increasing number of bear sightings i...

Increasing number of bear sightings in Groton

There are 18 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Dec 16, 2009, titled Increasing number of bear sightings in Groton. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Joe Marconis' backyard has been a black bear's favorite hangout since summer. His wife first saw the bear walking into the nearby woods off Nashua Road in August.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

OldYankee

Ayer, MA

#1 Dec 16, 2009
Bears are omnivores. They'll eat just about anything. When you put bird feed out it's just another free lunch to them. Be careful if you see a bear and keep your distance or you may become their next lunch.
Canal Keeper

Lowell, MA

#2 Dec 16, 2009
Oh my god I seen smokey this morning.
Andrea King

Danvers, MA

#3 Dec 16, 2009
I hope they go to sleep soon. I would hate to see a tragedy happen.

I hope young children are cautioned not to try and get close to them.
Car53

Pepperell, MA

#4 Dec 16, 2009
Canal Keeper wrote:
Oh my god I seen smokey this morning.
Where, in Dunstable?
Hmmm

Medford, MA

#5 Dec 17, 2009
We should deport them..wacky asian bears
Dan

Peculiar, MO

#6 Dec 17, 2009
Vote for Scott Brown, Jan 19th if you are worried about the attacks on our Libery!
Smokestack Lightning

Chelmsford, MA

#7 Dec 17, 2009
What will Scott Brown do about the bears? Can my Libery recover from a bear attack?
ace

Boston, MA

#8 Jul 25, 2011
a bear pulled down my birdfeeder pole and bent it to the ground,chewed my best bird feeder also,they are a huge pain in the neck, attacked my feeders last year and I had to wait until hibernation to put them back out.
bob

Boston, MA

#9 Jul 25, 2011
the state should have open season on these potential people eaters, they'll wait till someone gets mauled!
Anne

Tyngsboro, MA

#10 Apr 22, 2012
4/22/12 Last night at 1:00 a.m. there were three good sized bears in my back yard (Tyngsboro) tearing down my sunflower feeder. They ran off when I yelled out the window. About a year ago I found my shepherd's hook pole bent to the ground and a bird feeder bent and mangled. Now I know what did that. I was very frightened to see these big bears ten feet from my door. Imagine if you happened to run into them by accident coming home late one night.
Alison

Tyngsboro, MA

#11 May 15, 2012
Anne wrote:
4/22/12 Last night at 1:00 a.m. there were three good sized bears in my back yard (Tyngsboro) tearing down my sunflower feeder. They ran off when I yelled out the window. About a year ago I found my shepherd's hook pole bent to the ground and a bird feeder bent and mangled. Now I know what did that. I was very frightened to see these big bears ten feet from my door. Imagine if you happened to run into them by accident coming home late one night.
Where in Tyngsboro
Smokey

Brooklyn, NY

#12 May 16, 2012
Dan wrote:
Vote for Scott Brown, Jan 19th if you are worried about the attacks on our Libery!
Vote for Elizabeth Warren, her constituents know how to spell and aren't afraid of bears!
YBCUTTY

Pepperell, MA

#13 May 21, 2012
Thanks for the update Goldielocks.
Anne wrote:
Anne

Tyngsboro, MA

#14 May 23, 2012
Alison wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in Tyngsboro
5/23/12 I live on Davis Road right off Scribner two miles up from Long SFPond. I saw another one last night. He/she tackled my aluminum trash can with a strong bungee over it because I had bird seed in there. He was able to stick his big paw in there and pull out an 8 pound bag of seed. I made some noise and he scurried up the hill but not too far. In the morning I found the empty bag about 50 yards from my house- not a scratch on it. I had slit the bag open so he must have poured the seeds on the ground somehow. I have put the seed away so there will be nothing to draw them I hope.
QH Dunstable

Pepperell, MA

#15 Sep 18, 2012
I encounter one big black bear this morning (Sept. 18, 2012, 7:22 Am )at my yard (Adams st, Dunstable, MA). He (she) is very quit. I run back into house. It is really dangerous. He (she) slowly walks away.
RJ Groton

Groton, MA

#16 Sep 18, 2012
My neighbor on Chicopee Row, right near the high school, had two black bears in his backyard last Friday afternoon...one adult and one large cub. Note of caution to the HS cross country teams which run on trails behind his house.
Anne

Braintree, MA

#17 Sep 18, 2012
Well I wondered where they were hanging out. The fall is coming so they will need to fatten up for the winter. They are supposed to gain a lot of weight over the next two months to prepare. I have not seen any evidence of a revisit at my house. (Davis Road near Scribner Hill).
CG Dunstable

Tyngsboro, MA

#18 Sep 18, 2012
QH Dunstable wrote:
I encounter one big black bear this morning (Sept. 18, 2012, 7:22 Am )at my yard (Adams st, Dunstable, MA). He (she) is very quit. I run back into house. It is really dangerous. He (she) slowly walks away.
Me too! I live in Adam st as well. It was near my front door around 7:45-8:00 am.,scary encounter :|

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Supervisors at Archive Systems In Littleton (Oct '16) Apr 18 Gary Bagwell 6
mr. right where are you ? Apr 16 Julia 1
News Guitarist J. Geils found dead in his Massachuse... Apr 14 Sattva Virginius 1
News Clark gets (Dec '10) Mar '17 Recall Clark and... 42
News Ayer settles over wrongful '83 slay conviction (Jul '09) Feb '17 Edward Niles 32
News Police: Pepperell man charged with stabbing has... (Jan '09) Feb '17 Bitch 105
News Ayer arrests (Aug '09) Jan '17 Sam 4

Groton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Groton Mortgages