Haddad makes himself known

Haddad makes himself known

There are 136 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Oct 22, 2008, titled Haddad makes himself known. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Joseph Loschiavo vividly remembered Mark Haddad answering questions from the audience at a town budget hearing in Stratford, Conn., early 2007, citing figures for various line items in the $171 million proposed ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Thoreau

Groton, MA

#24 Dec 7, 2011
So this has hurt his wife the most? If he cared about HER, he wouldn't have engaged in a long term email conversation with another woman. If he did it through his PC, then why not spend his free time with his wife instead of another woman? Guys like that give the rest of us a bad name.
Whitney

Groton, MA

#25 Dec 7, 2011
For those interested, the Groton Channel is scheduled to run the Press Release tape 8 tonight.
Jake

Fitchburg, MA

#26 Dec 10, 2011
I am not a resident of Groton but have close friends who live there. Always been a little envious that they lived in a town that I considered "classy". Wow---was I wrong. How on earth did they hire this man in the first place? These are educated people. All they (BOS) are concerned about is whether this man engaged in this behavior while using town resources? What about his ability to make good decisions? What about moral judgement? This is not a man I would want involved in my finances. Where will he draw the line? The people of Groton need to take some action before its too late.
James Brook

Groton, MA

#27 Dec 10, 2011
Jake wrote:
I am not a resident of Groton but have close friends who live there. Always been a little envious that they lived in a town that I considered "classy". Wow---was I wrong. How on earth did they hire this man in the first place? These are educated people. All they (BOS) are concerned about is whether this man engaged in this behavior while using town resources? What about his ability to make good decisions? What about moral judgement? This is not a man I would want involved in my finances. Where will he draw the line? The people of Groton need to take some action before its too late.
It was already too late when the BOS hired him. They ignored a red flag and their decision came back to haunt them. Now they had to save face. Thus, the results of their press conference. Their demeanor, as well as their responses, was very defensive and prickly.

While it takes two to tango, it was his responsibility 1. as a married man and 2. as a town official not to engage in inappropriate behavior of any kind.

All of your questions are extremely valid and I know that many town residents are asking the same ones. I would think that the BOS would be very concerned from here on out about his trustworthiness. They should also be concerned about their own reputations being questioned. Residents have lost faith in the BOS even before this latest scandal.
Whitney

Groton, MA

#28 Dec 10, 2011
James Brook wrote:
<quoted text>
It was already too late when the BOS hired him. They ignored a red flag and their decision came back to haunt them. Now they had to save face. Thus, the results of their press conference. Their demeanor, as well as their responses, was very defensive and prickly.
While it takes two to tango, it was his responsibility 1. as a married man and 2. as a town official not to engage in inappropriate behavior of any kind.
All of your questions are extremely valid and I know that many town residents are asking the same ones. I would think that the BOS would be very concerned from here on out about his trustworthiness. They should also be concerned about their own reputations being questioned. Residents have lost faith in the BOS even before this latest scandal.
I agree with you both..nothing will change my mind..."prickly and defensive" are delicate terms...as I saw it. I really hope that the silent angry of our towns people will not allow this to disappear within the walls of OUR Town and Town Hall.
Like the three monkeys..see no evil...etc....
Ignore it and it go away....? NOT!
Thoreau

Groton, MA

#29 Dec 11, 2011
Top story in the Sunday Lowell Sun! Great.

Embarrassing for our town to look like a scandalous, lurid soap opera. But a positive is that the report presents both sides of opinion regarding town manager and town leadership (BOS) and includes new information. Too much secrecy. Unfair to residents. Makes one wonder how deep all of the intrigue goes???

It is encouraging that there are ethical people and forces in town moving to clean things up. The town manager position is proving to be a disaster, granting power to a control freak who is trying charm/bully (your choice) our boards and residents into more change than we can handle at one time.
James Brook

Groton, MA

#30 Dec 11, 2011
It might be a good idea for Groton residents to follow Wellesley's example and make a similar request, described below.

I've read(Boston Globe)that there is collapsing confidence in Wellesley's public schools. Residents have requested the School Commitee host two 90 minute open forums to discuss issues and ask questions.

Parents are concerned about administrative issues that "include accounting issues in the business office, the school's background check procedures, health code violations in cafeterias." (Boston Globe)

Maybe Groton residents need to be offered an open forum to deal with all of the issues that have surfaced this year. The BOS desperately needs to restore its reputation and regain the confidence of the people.
Rambling Man

Groton, MA

#31 Dec 12, 2011
I was reading earlier posts on this forum and found it interseting that when Mark Haddad was Town Manager in Cohasset, the town got a new police/fire station! Do I sense pattern here?
Torn

Groton, MA

#32 Dec 12, 2011
Rambling Man wrote:
I was reading earlier posts on this forum and found it interseting that when Mark Haddad was Town Manager in Cohasset, the town got a new police/fire station! Do I sense pattern here?
I agree...AND read the lastest Groton Herald ...evidently WE the people want to "improve" Groton Center.....Good grief..do we have to sleep at the Town Hall to find out what WE want.....?

I am angered...and don't dare write anymore.....
Rambling Man

Groton, MA

#33 Dec 13, 2011
Oh, I read it. As witnessed at the past 2 or 3 town meetings, THEY don't like it when WE the people voice our opinion. Ha! We are not lemmings.

These plans for town center are becoming more outrageous. The vote to support 134 Main St. project opened the floodgates. Now THEY propose a bypass road. THEY did not include that tidbit in their presentation. This road idea is wrong, wrong, wrong. Jerks! It will divert traffic away from Main Street businesses.

There are too many fingers in the pie plus they can't seem to focus on one project at a time. Station Ave. was a dream that'll be unfulfilled. Yet they talk about it like it'll happen while they're drooling over the 134 Main St. plan.

Leave our town alone. WE like it as is with small changes here & there. We will continue to be heard.
Whitney

Groton, MA

#34 Dec 13, 2011
Rambling Man wrote:
Oh, I read it. As witnessed at the past 2 or 3 town meetings, THEY don't like it when WE the people voice our opinion. Ha! We are not lemmings.
These plans for town center are becoming more outrageous. The vote to support 134 Main St. project opened the floodgates. Now THEY propose a bypass road. THEY did not include that tidbit in their presentation. This road idea is wrong, wrong, wrong. Jerks! It will divert traffic away from Main Street businesses.
There are too many fingers in the pie plus they can't seem to focus on one project at a time. Station Ave. was a dream that'll be unfulfilled. Yet they talk about it like it'll happen while they're drooling over the 134 Main St. plan.
Leave our town alone. WE like it as is with small changes here & there. We will continue to be heard.
Agree, although 100's tried to save the Inn...can we not save our town from this most recent destruction at the hands of a power monger. I'll sign the petition....
Selectmen..shame on you...let our Town rest in peace.
GrotonMan

Wilton, NH

#35 Dec 19, 2011
This is unusual for his pattern. He usually goes for women working in the town hall. He met his current wife (if she is still with him after this) working at the last town hall he was employed at.

-Groton Man
Please run for office

Groton, MA

#36 Dec 19, 2011
GrotonMan wrote:
This is unusual for his pattern. He usually goes for women working in the town hall. He met his current wife (if she is still with him after this) working at the last town hall he was employed at.
-Groton Man
Will someone please run for office, please
Thoreau

Groton, MA

#37 Dec 20, 2011
Harassment orders...he said/she said. What a slimey mess!

Now the town will shell out at least $3,000 for an independent investigator to determine what happened...to see if Haddad misused any town resources. Whatever. Guess we've got to get some kind of proof in order to give him the boot without him filing suit vs. the town for ending his contract.

The body language at Selectmen's meetings seems quite icy. Well, folks, you got what you deserved. Next time, use better judgement of character and pay attention to the red flags.
James Brook

Groton, MA

#38 Dec 21, 2011
Ok. So as of today, Haddad has requested that the harassment order end...one day earlier than it was scheduled for renewal(Lowell Sun). What are we paying him for? It seems that his time and efforts are focused on this personal issue and not work. Maybe he needs to take a leave of absence to resolve this situation and get things under control...set priorities. But then, I suppose we'd still have to pay him? This is no small matter and neither is managing a town. Right now a bunch of feel like we aren't getting our money's worth.
Torn

Groton, MA

#39 Dec 22, 2011
I will never vote for our selectmen again.
Throne Hill

Groton, MA

#40 Dec 23, 2011
If you wont vote for them why not put yourself in harms way rather than criticizing them. Step up and run. Haddad may be one thing but I think the selectmen run the town pretty well.
Stephanie

Groton, MA

#41 Dec 26, 2011
What's with the Haddad husband-wife pic in last week's Groton Herald? Talk about "spin" and "PR" moves! Gimme a break.
Thoreau

Groton, MA

#42 Dec 26, 2011
Throne Hill wrote:
If you wont vote for them why not put yourself in harms way rather than criticizing them. Step up and run. Haddad may be one thing but I think the selectmen run the town pretty well.
They shouldn't be "running the town". They should be listening to the residents, respecting our opinions and working with us to govern and guide the town. Groton is a precious place to live and someone is whispering troublesome ideas into the selectmen's ears.

The only one up for re-election in 2012 is Fran Dillon...if he chooses to run. We are stuck with Degen and Schulman until 2013 and the other two until 2014, unless any of them resign. So, it is up to us to let our voices be heard at meetings and in the media. We must be pro-active if we aren't on the board.
Torn

Groton, MA

#43 Dec 26, 2011
Thoreau wrote:
<quoted text>
They shouldn't be "running the town". They should be listening to the residents, respecting our opinions and working with us to govern and guide the town. Groton is a precious place to live and someone is whispering troublesome ideas into the selectmen's ears.
The only one up for re-election in 2012 is Fran Dillon...if he chooses to run. We are stuck with Degen and Schulman until 2013 and the other two until 2014, unless any of them resign. So, it is up to us to let our voices be heard at meetings and in the media. We must be pro-active if we aren't on the board.
AGREE.....100% Rid the town of TM..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mountain lion reportedly spotted in Westford (Sep '07) Mar 23 Robert 13
News Police Briefs (May '08) Mar '18 Harry Bummer 93
News Cross a donkey with a miniature horse and what ... (Apr '08) Jan '18 anon 35
News Clark gets (Dec '10) Jan '18 Me again 43
News Fitchburg prostitution sting nets five arrests (Oct '13) Dec '17 Notsodumb 86
News Friends say ex-Shirley town administrator consu... (Jun '10) Nov '17 Inquiry 63
Supervisors at Archive Systems In Littleton (Oct '16) Nov '17 Data Entry Worker 10

Groton Jobs

Personal Finance

Groton Mortgages