Children's Home of Detroit's Grosse Pointe Woods campus to close

Oct 31, 2008 Full story: Freep.com - RSS 123

Children's Home of Detroit will close its residential treatment program at its Grosse Pointe Woods' Cook Road campus effective Nov.

Full Story
Del

Santa Fe, NM

#21 Oct 25, 2012
This is a bit fuzzy as it was many years ago. I was at PCH (Protestant Childrens Home, Grosse Pointe Woods) for one year probably in 1952 when I was nine years old. Does anyone remember the Home's song 'We welcome you to PCH, mighty glad your here...'?
For a long, long time I wondered what has happened there over time so I did some research. It seems incredible that PCH survived until 2007. I remember Mr. and Mrs. Shanks who ran the home at that time; two of the nicest people I have known. Of course I do not want to leave out the house mothers and counselors, all great people, each with their own personalty and quirks. My mind still holds the image of a very pleasant woman that worked in the Hall as a cook.
The first night at PCH I cried like a baby at being left among strangers. A year later I again felt like crying at leaving my friends and one of the best years of my life.
Monteith school was a short walk down Cook Road. A line of kids walking on the left against traffic for safety, not that there was much traffic. In the afternoon the same gang going back on the other side of the road.
One warm day a small group of us with a counselor went for a walk East on Cook Road. The road quickly turned into a path as we entered the woods. Someone asked 'Do you think there are wolves around here?'. We quickly agreed to the possibility and decided to stick close together and keep moving. Soon the path turned into a road, along which were a couple of beautiful homes that we marveled. Eventually we emerged on Lake Shore and the water. After lingering a while we headed back to venture with wolves and the safety of PCH.
It seems there were five cottages. At first I was in number 2 or 3 (counting left to right) and later moved to number 1.. Someone mentioned Boyer cottage which I remember. The other names still elude me.
No doubt PCH had huge influences on our lives, hopefully mostly good.
Trish

Grand Blanc, MI

#22 Nov 21, 2012
Samantha wrote:
I was also an old resident from CHD I liked there staff were great um I was first in Boyer then Bewick ended up going to Grosse Pointe North High School. I would like to remember Mrs. Lashauna Potts Mrs. Wendy Mrs. Stephanie Mr. Steve Mrs. Lynn there's many more I enjoyed it they were very helpful
Are you in touch with any of them? I would love to get ahold of miss wendy!
Thanks!
jrguastella

Utica, MI

#23 Dec 1, 2012
I was at CHD from 79-83 in founders, I remember the health center and the bean bags that I sat on all the time lol!! Mr. Ron, Mr Keith, Mrs Fran, Mrs Jill (who ended up being an oakland co sheriff)I never reached "Double star" ever!! I went camping and did The olympics in the summer,the canteens that came 3 times a day to the cottages! I was the wildest kid in Founders, always being restrained lol.. I'm 42,I have had a good life, I was a Marine, I am an electrician (IBEW local 58 detroit)and have stayed out of trouble for the most part(partied and shit but no criminal convictions)Lots of lost souls at CHD and I know lots of kids never even had a chance at life, I really mean that too. I'm glad I came across this site, I guess I've wanted to say this stuff for years now, but only you guys know what I'm talking about :) I was there!! 4 years baby..I turnd out fine, I had a good mother who kept me alive and never once gave up on me, even though I was gone for so long. I went to Fairlawn center for 6 months after CHD then went home, then somehow got my life together.. My life has had it's up's and down's but I will say I am greatful, I know exactly who I am and proud of how I turned out!! I am of the 10% who made it..You guys take care!
Joey G.
Gail

Concord, CA

#24 Jan 8, 2013
I lived there from 1956 to 1959 and it was a wonderful environment. I was well cared for and learned so much there. I got a great education at the elementary school being as i came from The Projects in Detroit I would not have had the same beginnings of my education. I loved being with all the kids and having a good time. But it also taught me responsibility. Making my bed, being on time and I did learn how to conduct myself in social situations. I went to the Ballet and even got to spend then night off the campus with girlfriends I made at school. I even played with the daughter or grandchild of Mr. & Mrs. Shanks who lived in the house on the campus. I am sure alot changed since the 1950's but I was happy there at the time. Sorry to here of the closing.
Barb B

Madison Heights, MI

#25 Jan 23, 2013
I was there in the late 60's early 70's. I too have great memories. My Mom worked and being child born abt 10 yrs after my siblings, it was nice to have an extended family. Went to Elem and middle school off campus. Mr and Mrs Shanks were there when I got there. They retired shortly after. Mr Justice snd Mr Lee, were the Families to take over.
Left in 1971. Missed my PCH family. Glad I found this. I too had a great impact from living there. I will not drive down Cook rd. again. It be best just left alone in memories and in my heart. God's Blessings to you all to all that were!
Michelle

Newark, NJ

#26 Feb 1, 2013
Hi Barb, wow! I was also there in the late 60's left in 75. your name is very familiar.I miss all the friends I made and the wonderful staff. My house parent Mrs. Williams, Mr. Ron is he the that had the really pretty dog think a black lab? Mr. & Mrs. Shanks, the cook who would do my hair for me.The Babar's center staff. I stayed in very end girls cottage next t bewick the name fails me. Some mentioned a girl named Kelli Matt who was my best friend I miss her so much:( I had so much support at PCH. I pray for those whom had to leave due to it closing. Also happy to find this as connect with those I can share postive memories. Wish all of you well. Please stay in contact. God Bless
Barb B

Madison Heights, MI

#27 Feb 5, 2013
Hi Michelle.
I was in Bewick cottage. Mrs Smith and Mrs Roman were my house mothers. I remember the names of some of the girls there. I keep in touch for awhile after leaving. Mr Lee was a blast! I do have great memories from my stay there, sad to see some dont have those. Keep in touch Michelle. Barb
Kim

Bishop, GA

#28 Feb 10, 2013
I lived there as a teen for about a total of 2 years. I left in 93. I loved living here and was so very sad to see that it's gone. The staff were wonderful to me. I laugh because I can't remember the name of my cottage. It was the last one on the right across from the nurses building.
I have a lot of fond memories of being here and as someone else said loved Camp Tenega and still remember our song. I hope all the staff are doing well and are able to see this and know that they helped change a lot of our lives.
margarita

New Baltimore, MI

#29 Feb 22, 2013
I was a resident there for a while and i received nothing but love and compassion from my staff.. I learned alot and grew from that its sad to see some comments about how cruel the staff were. Itseems to me that past grudges have not been resolved in a mature way. Regardless i appreciate what i had learned and still use alot of what was taught to me now. I miss all the fun times and heart to heart conversations with majority of my staff. I love and miss all of you. If anyone was there between 2006 and 2008 and remember me look me up on facebook would love to reconnect with some of my old time friends that i had formed bonds with. mommii margarita clark.
Michelle

Brooklyn, NY

#30 Feb 25, 2013
Barb B wrote:
Hi Michelle.
I was in Bewick cottage. Mrs Smith and Mrs Roman were my house mothers. I remember the names of some of the girls there. I keep in touch for awhile after leaving. Mr Lee was a blast! I do have great memories from my stay there, sad to see some dont have those. Keep in touch Michelle. Barb
Hi Barb! Thank for getting back with me:) if you don't mind I would like to exchange emails this means so much to me. I am sure we have so much to share. Hope to hear from you soon.
kreishna

Ypsilanti, MI

#31 Mar 15, 2013
[I was also a former resident..i loved it there the staff were awsome!..i remember mrs.lynn..ms shamika..ms carol..ms..karen..ms..wendy..i was put in dance class and had a job..im sad to see it closed..wish i could have visited before it closed.
Barb B

Madison Heights, MI

#32 Mar 18, 2013
Yes Michelle it was a lab and the counsel was Ed and the dog was Pax. So funny we were there at the same time. I will leave you my email here if you would like to get ahold of my bzoppi1@gmail.com. Would be nice to here from you. Barb
Michelle

Washington, DC

#33 Apr 2, 2013
Barb B wrote:
Yes Michelle it was a lab and the counsel was Ed and the dog was Pax. So funny we were there at the same time. I will leave you my email here if you would like to get ahold of my bzoppi1@gmail.com. Would be nice to here from you. Barb
Hi Barb! How have you been? My email is j_sjohnson@MSN.com hope your Easter Sunday was lovely ;)
Jasmine M

Brooklyn, NY

#34 Apr 12, 2013
margarita wrote:
I was a resident there for a while and i received nothing but love and compassion from my staff.. I learned alot and grew from that its sad to see some comments about how cruel the staff were. Itseems to me that past grudges have not been resolved in a mature way. Regardless i appreciate what i had learned and still use alot of what was taught to me now. I miss all the fun times and heart to heart conversations with majority of my staff. I love and miss all of you. If anyone was there between 2006 and 2008 and remember me look me up on facebook would love to reconnect with some of my old time friends that i had formed bonds with. mommii margarita clark.
I lived in CHD, Warren campus then moved to Grosse Pointe Campus. At both locations I was treated with love, compassionate, and respect. I had a best friend there by the name of MARGARITA, we were tighter than glue. We lived together in CHD Warren and I personally requested to live with her in GP. We cried when we seen each other. Every day we hung out, she was like a sister.
Unfortunately, we lost touch =( It would be great if that person was YOU. If so, please get in contact with me ASAP. Facebook: Jasmine Lola Mobley
Barb B

Madison Heights, MI

#35 Apr 15, 2013
Hi Michelle, I some how deleted you email. I tried to send you a email, which for some reason was undelieverable. So please send me another to get intouch. Take care and hope to hear from soon. Barb
steve

Hazel Park, MI

#36 May 22, 2013
you knew bruce the bump ya he was there a while I was their around the sam time as you
Kelli Natt

Brooksville, FL

#37 Jul 3, 2013
jessica wrote:
i was a resident of chidrens home of detroit i do not know where i'm going from here it hurt me to live
I was in the Children's Home also. What years were you there?
Kelli Natt

Brooksville, FL

#38 Jul 3, 2013
I was in the Children's Home also. What years were you there?
Kelli Natt

Brooksville, FL

#39 Jul 3, 2013
OMG OMG Please tell me this isn't Michelle Walker??????? Is this Michelle????????/
Kelli Natt

Brooksville, FL

#40 Jul 3, 2013
Michelle... Is that YOU?????? email me; wildlifecrew62@yahoo.com of FaceBook
Kelli Natt Bramlett OMG

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grosse Pointe Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Many Homicides in SCS in 2014? 9 hr Harry 9
Sharpton to Stop Mon Nt / or/ Tues in SCS (Nov '07) 9 hr Black protesters 10
PHOTOS: Man wanted for 7-11 armed robbery 9 hr Standard Procedure 2
Fill St. Clair Shores Patch with Veterans Day 2... 9 hr Best country in w... 9
Swany for Council (Jul '08) 15 hr WWKT1 153
kathy scruggs (Nov '07) Dec 24 Beam me up 7
1 dead, 3 injured in Detroit shooting Dec 23 reality is a crutch 1
More from around the web

Grosse Pointe Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE