Children's Home of Detroit's Grosse P...

Children's Home of Detroit's Grosse Pointe Woods campus to close

There are 137 comments on the Freep.com - RSS story from Oct 31, 2008, titled Children's Home of Detroit's Grosse Pointe Woods campus to close. In it, Freep.com - RSS reports that:

Children's Home of Detroit will close its residential treatment program at its Grosse Pointe Woods' Cook Road campus effective Nov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Freep.com - RSS.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
jessica

Grosse Pointe, MI

#1 Nov 5, 2008
i was a resident of chidrens home of detroit i do not know where i'm going from here it hurt me to live
krystal

Detroit, MI

#2 Nov 12, 2008
my friends are gone and i miss them all i was a resident but i was discharged to my home but i love all yall
would like to help

Detroit, MI

#3 Nov 17, 2008
are you still living there? is anyone doing anything to help you get placed?
jessica wrote:
i was a resident of chidrens home of detroit i do not know where i'm going from here it hurt me to live
would like to help

Detroit, MI

#4 Nov 17, 2008
The Childrens home is a much needed place and I am heartbroken to see that it is being closed. I have known many children from there in my youth. Is there anything that can be done to help the children that are there?
An ex-employee from CHD

Rochester, MI

#5 Nov 17, 2008
I am sad to tell you that no, there is nothing that can be done to assist the children that are still there, as the children have all been discharged. I wish each and every one of them the very best. I used to work there, and I enjoyed being there. Please keep these kids in your prayers, wherever they may have ended up. To those of you who used to live there, keep on keeping on and do good things with your life. You are missed and will not be forgotten.
call to action

AOL

#6 Nov 19, 2008
I have long admired the work of Children's Home and it is very sad to see this beacon of hope close its doors.
The children in Wayne County have so many needs. Every resource we have should be going to support an organization that carries on the same belief in helping children. An organization like The Children's Center comes to mind.( www.thechildrenscenter.com ).
They do not provide residential campus program but they provide residential in securing foster care homes and place children in them, the agency also provides adoption services and a semi-independent living program.
They have 25 or more programs and provide the most array of programs to help kids and families within Wayne County.
I hope that we can all agree we need to keep supporting important youth organizations - the needs continue.
consuela

Jackson, KY

#7 Apr 30, 2009
I lived there for a year when i was 8yrs old in boyer cottage.... I am now 27 with two boys of my own. when I think back on my life in those times. I am so thankful there were places such as this one to take me in otherwise I might not have been here today...and I feel really strongly about the mistakes that are being made closing the only hope that some of these children will ever know... ST Vincent Sara Fisher also a place I was a resident is closing down. Is there anything that we can do???????
sloan59

Macomb, MI

#8 Nov 19, 2009
i was a resident early 7o's removed from abused family receive love and freindship and guidance from the staff if it wasn't for the caring staff i may not be here today. and they helped my mother learn to be able to care for her children.they saved a family childrens home will always be in my heart,if anyone out there remember the camping trips, we were family
truly sorry to hear this there has to be money or donations to save this wonderful home
michael showalter.mshow624@yahoo.com
Old Former Resident

El Dorado Hills, CA

#9 May 16, 2011
I remember my time at CHD with fondness. Building models in the day room, painting and playing with hot-wheels. Watching Laurel and Hardy on the real to real in the Gathering hall. Playing Kick the can on the Stone pile out back (is it still there?) Life was real weird for me then and they made me feel like I was at home. I had undergone some bizarre stuff at Fairlawn and CHD helped me realize life was not a cinderblock room.

It is hard to hear they are closing (have closed). It is a place I called home and will forever be indebted to for teaching me compassion and hope.

E
nevetsslay

United States

#10 Jun 9, 2011
I'm glad it closed atleast the gross point location, the staff was abusive and would pick on kids they didn't like, I liked the lockdown unit in ferndale better than open campus
Demetrius Macon

United States

#11 Jul 21, 2011
hello,im a former resident from the early 70's and it a shame that this wonderful place has com to an end.i was a child that went to schools consists of gangsters so i had to fight until they placed me in the chd and my life has changed for the good,the staff members bac then were real special and they helped me during the most difficult times in my life especially when i was separated from my mother.i stayed there for 5 yrs.and those years was really special for me.i went to motieth school there probably the first blac,but i had so much fun with those special group of people that ill never forget them.i remember staff members lik mr juede,ms beth,mr marshall,ms lucy and a host of others.also my friends lik mike millette,danny cox,johnson hamblett,chris kelly natt,edward,steve,leslie nostrant,and a host of others.i thank u guys so much for being a wonderful part in my life or i might not b here today.i hav 2 kids and i reside in ms.but if u guys wnt 2 share som thoughts just email me at tarshermacon@att.net.thanks again and im truly sorry it had 2 close cause i wanted to visit that place once again someday.
robert gurzick

United States

#12 Sep 27, 2011
i did not like chd yes the staff was abusiva but there was nice staff like ms burton and ms ritad
paul miller

Lincoln Park, MI

#13 Nov 2, 2011
i was a resedent back when i was 8 1994 i was ther all most 2 years and the entire time i was ther i got into fights with all the staff i went to the quite room 2-3 times a day they would beat on me all the time so i would fight back, i remeber this duck we hade and one day went to cheack on it and something ate it i remeber the big hill out back sleading was all wase fun in the wenter's
brandi stanford

United States

#14 Jan 28, 2012
i was a former resident there im just now gttn bck wit old residents n staff that i was close to i had the time of my life while i was there i miss it n if it ws still up id go bck n visit everyday i ws at warren campus wen it closed down it tore me up it hurt so much but it helped me and im doing so much better thanks
Scotty

United States

#15 Feb 21, 2012
I was also a former resident there. In the time that I spend living in Founders cottage I can recollect some of the best times of my life in the mid to late 80s. I remember joining the boy scouts troop 93, playing pool in the main building, going to school at barnard center. One all of the most memorable times in my life was going to camp tanega. I remember sneaking out of one of the cottages late at night and took the row boat from the shore out to the middle of the lake and dropped anchor. The best part of it all was laying there in a row boat looking up at a night sky full of stars, stars that you don't see like that in the city. unfortunately I cannot find camp today got as I know it was never really called that. I do remember seeing a sign that read Camp medicia but have recently found that it is a diabetes camp group and not a permanent campground for them. can anyone remember the location of that campground was? Although even if I were able to find it I'm certain that it probably would have been cleared for progress by now but I would love to give it a shot.
Samantha

Chicago, IL

#16 Mar 5, 2012
I was also an old resident from CHD I liked there staff were great um I was first in Boyer then Bewick ended up going to Grosse Pointe North High School. I would like to remember Mrs. Lashauna Potts Mrs. Wendy Mrs. Stephanie Mr. Steve Mrs. Lynn there's many more I enjoyed it they were very helpful
Scotty

United States

#17 Mar 7, 2012
Hi Samantha: I also remember Mrs Lynn Orlawski. She was married to Mr. Ron in Founders cottage. I have great memories of them both. : )
cheri

Center Line, MI

#18 Apr 11, 2012
i stayed AT THE HOME IN 1962 it was a wonderful time for me met great friends.sorry to hear of its closing.they did a great job. but that was back in the 1960s.things change to bad.
megan

Terre Haute, IN

#19 Jun 20, 2012
Man I'm so sad it closed. I loved the stay there. Ms zazl ms Yolanda.( sorry my spelling sucks. ) but those were a few of the star cabin that helped me grow up and ms zazl would always braid my hair. I loved the motherly aproch they had. They are the reason I got in to cosmetology
Nick

Gainesville, FL

#20 Jul 22, 2012
I wasa residentat at chd in grosse point. I lived in chulkens cottage for a year in 1993 - 1994. I liked the staff Mr,Pat Mr.Bruce Ms.Ann and Mr.Chris they were nice and everthing. Sucks that it's closeing down. We all know who to blame for that. The govener of michigan....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grosse Pointe Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Rate Peter Rubino as Councilman (Dec '11) 1 hr both sides 33
shooting in SCS 21 hr Shooting 2
Review: Dazzle Fashion Boutique Jun 28 Carla 1
Helicopters (Oct '14) Jun 26 Nikki Rockstar 13
News Nine Harper Woods students arrested during last... (Jun '14) Jun 25 Sockless to me 26
Linda's Place (Sep '13) Jun 22 First things first 11
News Prosecutor: No charges for officers Apr '15 reality is a crutch 1
More from around the web

Grosse Pointe Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Grosse Pointe Park Mortgages