First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Patience

United States

#1 May 23, 2012
I am looking for the survivors of people who disappeared from Jefferson Beach (now called Blossom Heath Beach) in May of 1973. If that is you or you know their names or who was investigating the case, please contact the Macomb County Cold Case Prosecutors or the Sheriff.
I believe a male teenager and the Coast Guard Serviceman on duty disappeared on the same day. I think the day was May 19,1973. There was evidence collected in this case. There was a female's blood on the beach and a small piece of bone.
There had been one of those "model shoots" on that day.
No Columbo

Farmington, MI

#2 May 23, 2012
Patience wrote:
I am looking for the survivors of people who disappeared from Jefferson Beach (now called Blossom Heath Beach) in May of 1973. If that is you or you know their names or who was investigating the case, please contact the Macomb County Cold Case Prosecutors or the Sheriff.
I believe a male teenager and the Coast Guard Serviceman on duty disappeared on the same day. I think the day was May 19,1973. There was evidence collected in this case. There was a female's blood on the beach and a small piece of bone.
There had been one of those "model shoots" on that day.
If there was evidence collected wouldn't there already be a case record of it with the Macomb County Prosecutors office or Sheriff? That being the case they would already know the name of the investigator assigned, the victims names and the exact date.
Patience

United States

#3 May 23, 2012
Everybody there was not around in 1973. They don't know anything about this case including the names of the victims. So they can't look for the file or evidence. This case was a big deal at the time. I was shocked that nobody knew about it. You can't even call the beach "Jefferson Beach" to anybody because they have no idea what that is. I have maps from the time that call it Jefferson Beach and that was the only name I ever knew.
No Columbo

Farmington, MI

#4 May 24, 2012
Patience wrote:
Everybody there was not around in 1973. They don't know anything about this case including the names of the victims. So they can't look for the file or evidence. This case was a big deal at the time. I was shocked that nobody knew about it. You can't even call the beach "Jefferson Beach" to anybody because they have no idea what that is. I have maps from the time that call it Jefferson Beach and that was the only name I ever knew.
Have you tried going to the Coast Guard station near Blossom Heath and seeing if anyone remembers anything. There may not be anybody there old enough to be there when it happened, but the story of a missing coast guard member from this area may have been passed down from generations of servicemen to the next. Also, they may have a different filing system and a way of searching by month and year instead of name and case number. Also try contacting the Detroit News/Free Press and see if they have a way for you to actually review newspapers from that time. It may be on microfilm and if your correct on it being in May of 1973, it shouldn't take that long to look at 31 days of papers. Remember you would only have to read part of each paper. No reason to review the sports section, classified ads, etc.
No Columbo

Farmington, MI

#5 May 24, 2012
You may also want to check with the SCS Library. In the lower level (take elevator to basement) they keep older historical type information. Perhaps they may have access to newspapers (including smaller local papers) from 1973. The lower level has limited hours so call head to find out when their open.
Patience

United States

#6 May 24, 2012
Thanks. I used formal channels to contact the Coast Guard and their office for this sector in Ohio said that they did not have a record of a missing serviceman. I think that they are wrong. The Detroit newspapers did not report on this is May of 1973. They did report that two men had left Mount Clemens by boat and had never arrived in St. Clair Shores where their friends were waiting. Apparently debris was found but their bodies were never found. I would look at the newspaper archives in the SCS library but I live in another county and I am too ill to drive that far.
Not Joe Backus

Harper Woods, MI

#7 May 24, 2012
Patience wrote:
Thanks. I used formal channels to contact the Coast Guard and their office for this sector in Ohio said that they did not have a record of a missing serviceman. I think that they are wrong. The Detroit newspapers did not report on this is May of 1973. They did report that two men had left Mount Clemens by boat and had never arrived in St. Clair Shores where their friends were waiting. Apparently debris was found but their bodies were never found. I would look at the newspaper archives in the SCS library but I live in another county and I am too ill to drive that far.
Just curious,

Why does this case intrest you sew much?
It sounds like maybe a cover up,
peri maysun

Grosse Pointe, MI

#8 May 24, 2012
Try searching the last name whittmore.(sic) Body never found,declared dead 1980.
No Columbo

Sterling Heights, MI

#9 May 24, 2012
Patience wrote:
Why didn't you mention in the beginning that this involved a possible boating accident or the fact that the newspaper did report they had left Mount Clemens and never arrived in SCS where their friends were waiting? You made it sound like a possible murder or something. Doing that may have jogged a few people's memories. What else are you not sharing with us? By giving us everything you know we may be able to help you. But by holding back, why should anyone bother to try to help.
Reporter

Lapeer, MI

#10 May 24, 2012
This a bunch of craap.
Patience

United States

#11 May 24, 2012
There is plenty that I am not telling here because I shouldn't. I am supposed to tell your county law enforcement that stuff. But they can't do anything with what I tell them because I don't know the names and they don't remember the case and can't find files and evidence, etc. I am just looking for people who DO know the names.
I only mentioned the boaters because somebody here told me to check newspaper archives. I did and the missing boaters were all I found. I don't know if the boating case is related. It could be. BTW, their names were Paul Gentile (then 30 of Detroit) and Gene Start (then 27 of St. Clair Shores.)If somebody wants to open that as a cold case, I say, "Do it!"
I was trying to keep this simple and only told the information that people would know in the first post.
It shouldn't be this hard to tell law enforcement something. I will tell you that I am trying to do this because law enforcement from another state put my picture on national television as a potential victim.
If I can get the case started with the names, you will probably find out more than I presently know about it.
Patience

United States

#12 Jul 5, 2012
This comment is intended to keep this topic on the first page for a while longer. Maybe somebody who knows something might be in town for the holiday and see this.
Cold Case from 1987

Farmington, MI

#13 Jul 6, 2012
Reading this reminded me of another SCS cold case. Anyone remember the lady that was stabbed to death in her home on Yale just off Jefferson back in about 1987? I remember it was in the newspapers and all over the TV news.
Patience

United States

#14 Jul 6, 2012
Does the SCS Police Department ever solve any cold cases? They weren't listening to witnesses about the cold case from 1973 when it was still a new case.
After 25 years

Farmington, MI

#15 Jul 7, 2012
Cold Case from 1987 wrote:
Reading this reminded me of another SCS cold case. Anyone remember the lady that was stabbed to death in her home on Yale just off Jefferson back in about 1987? I remember it was in the newspapers and all over the TV news.
Her name was Linda and it was in 1987. Being 25 years ago I doubt if anyone in the SCS PD even remembers it.
Buckshot Jones

Roseville, MI

#16 Jul 8, 2012
Go to any donut shop where the Shores cops hang out and ask them. The only cold case the're interested in solving is who took the last eclare
Smoking Gun

Rockwood, MI

#17 Jul 8, 2012
Patience wrote:
Does the SCS Police Department ever solve any cold cases? They weren't listening to witnesses about the cold case from 1973 when it was still a new case.
If you want to get the police interested in a cold case again, just stop in the police station and start asking a lot of questions about the status of the case and what they know. Using the 1987 case listed above as an example, give them the persons name (Linda), her address on Yale street, the date of the crime, how she died, etc. Basically everything you know or read. Then be prepared for them to ask you why you're inquiring? And then be prepared to be the new number one suspect in the case. Why? Because they'll figure that there's a chance that you're the guilty party and curiosity is getting to you about they know and don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if the case got opened again just because of what's been written here so far.
Patience

United States

#18 Jul 9, 2012
The problem with the 1973 Cold Case is that I know the date and the place but I do not know the names of the missing people. So I can't get anybody to just look up a file. That is why I am going to the public hoping that someone remembers the case and can deliver the names.
I don't expect much from the SCS Police anyway. They hung up on phone calls and ignored letters from witnesses in 1973.
I do know that evidence was collected at the beach that day and the evidence was evaluated. For example, they were having trouble figuring out what part of the human anatomy the bone was. It was an unusual shape but it was too hard to be deformed, etc.
I don't know who was investigating the case or what law enforcement agency had the evidence. I wonder what is done with evidence for unsolved cases in Macomb County. Do the individual police departments store it?
Not Born Before 1973

Romeo, MI

#19 Jul 10, 2012
Smoking Gun wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to get the police interested in a cold case again, just stop in the police station and start asking a lot of questions about the status of the case and what they know. Using the 1987 case listed above as an example, give them the persons name (Linda), her address on Yale street, the date of the crime, how she died, etc. Basically everything you know or read. Then be prepared for them to ask you why you're inquiring? And then be prepared to be the new number one suspect in the case. Why? Because they'll figure that there's a chance that you're the guilty party and curiosity is getting to you about they know and don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if the case got opened again just because of what's been written here so far.
This could be fun... and I have a really good alibi... I hadn't been born yet!
About a stones throw away

Livonia, MI

#20 Jul 10, 2012
After 25 years wrote:
<quoted text>
Her name was Linda and it was in 1987. Being 25 years ago I doubt if anyone in the SCS PD even remembers it.
Someone I know later bought the house at 22332 Yale where that murder took place 1n 1987. At the time of purchase they knew nothing about what happened there. But it wasn't long before the neighbors told them. They since have moved. The house is not much more than a stones throw away from the police station.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grosse Pointe Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vitale has Rendered Himself Useless 30 min One timer councilman 4
Children's Home of Detroit's Grosse Pointe Wood... (Nov '08) 11 hr scott 129
What happend to the 2 cops that beat...... 17 hr Sharp and to the ... 8
Ted Whaby is responsible for what accomplishme... (Feb '14) 23 hr Old timer 228
Ahern to resign over cash-payments scandal (Apr '08) Mon part puller 29
Coffe shop-decisions (Oct '07) Mon Smallie Biggs 29
what did Vitally do? (Oct '12) Mon One timer 124
More from around the web

Grosse Pointe Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE