A planting project in Detroit goes fr...

A planting project in Detroit goes from green to brown

There are 3 comments on the Detroit Free Press story from Sep 7, 2010, titled A planting project in Detroit goes from green to brown. In it, Detroit Free Press reports that:

Efforts to green Detroit may be tougher to accomplish than many people hoped, if one recent project is an indication.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit Free Press.

Tony

United States

#1 Sep 7, 2010
They seem willing to accept 20-40% die off rate for their plantings. I suppose this is because the planting were provided free. People don't care as much when it's free.
In the suburbs, they plant trees along roadways and then send summer help around with a water truck to water each and every one on a schedule. The die-off rate is next to nothing.
Actions have consequences.
Rob

Savannah, GA

#2 Sep 7, 2010
Can't just stick a plant in the ground and pray to the Gods it grows water helps too.
Tony

United States

#3 Sep 7, 2010
Rob wrote:
Can't just stick a plant in the ground and pray to the Gods it grows water helps too.
Somebody gives them money, they have to find a way to spend it. Why not hold some money back for maintenance? The Obama Reinvest in America stuff is doing the same in my area. A 6' bike path is being expanded to 8' with drains and special block walls in places. The original plan for 14' was pure make believe. This plan does seem well engineered in spots. The workers have spend too much time standing around to use up the cash. I'm afraid they will run out of cash before completing the work properly as the goal is to use the money, not finish the project.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grosse Pointe Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Overspenders 4 hr Jennifer 9
Erin Stalh's next run Jan 9 stahl for new clerk 5
A snow blowing request Jan 8 Senior Citizen 1
Ahmad Altimimi (Mar '06) Jan 7 Who cares not me lol 144
News Children's Home of Detroit's Grosse Pointe Wood... (Nov '08) Dec 29 Anonymous 161
News UFO Sighting: Roseville, Michigan; September 08... (Sep '07) Dec 22 POOR GIRL 15
frank / anne diclementi Dec 22 moonjack 1

Grosse Pointe Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grosse Pointe Park Mortgages