Overnight Parking
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
ekim

Mount Clemens, MI

#1 Dec 5, 2009
If the city is looking for a cash cow, start ticketing the cars parked overnight on the street. They could start with Ahearns Maryland Elec. truck.
This is a no brainer your car is on the street without a permit you get a ticket. How can you fight it?
Joe Shmoe

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#2 Dec 5, 2009
ekim wrote:
If the city is looking for a cash cow, start ticketing the cars parked overnight on the street. They could start with Ahearns Maryland Elec. truck.
This is a no brainer your car is on the street without a permit you get a ticket. How can you fight it?
Great, enforce another useless ordinance who's only purpose is to place a burden on the residents.
Jack

Brea, CA

#3 Dec 5, 2009
Joe Shmoe wrote:
<quoted text>
Great, enforce another useless ordinance who's only purpose is to place a burden on the residents.
Why not, this isn't Detroit, everyone normally in SCS has a driveway or a garage, that gives the city time to clean or shovel the street. Do like Ahearn said at a S.P.E.C. meeting if you don't like it move out.
ekim

Mount Clemens, MI

#4 Dec 5, 2009
My point to this is.
1. It is a pain to get the permits.
2. They never plow between 2am-5am
3. There is no need to plow the streets in JULY.
4. It is an easy ordinance to inforce. Get the permit or get the ticket.
Unique

Columbus, OH

#5 Dec 5, 2009
Ekim, I had the same argument and problem about this ordinance. I was even fined for it. Then I thought about it and had a little reservation. Our code enforcement is not involved in the process, the police department is. Our previous councilman parks his business truck at his house is a code enforcement issue and I am sure Uncle Ted's daughter is not going to give him a violation.
Some neighborhoods have very skinny streets and it is a problem with emergency vehicles to get through at times, not only that it is sometimes hard just to get through whatever we use. It is also nice to see the street clear and the vehicles moved so no one can leave their car "abandoned" in the street. I will agree that it does need to be enforced for it to work and there are many ways that the police department can make money.
Jack

Oxford, MI

#6 Dec 5, 2009
ekim wrote:
My point to this is.
I don't know what city you live in, however in SCS they do clean the street through the night, thats what I'm talking about, this also occurrs in July. Take the pain and get a permit, or get a ticket, if issue you one, I realize it depends on who you are, again selective enforcement.
Joe Shmoe

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#7 Dec 5, 2009
ekim wrote:
My point to this is.
Many houses have single width drives, multiple cars, etc. It is a hassle switching cars around WRT who is leaving first in the morning etc. Anybody with teen drivers can tell you the hassles of kids staying overnight etc. The street cleaning is handled by sign notices, snow plowing issues can be handled by declaring a snow emergency like many other cities do. Narrow streets can be handled by parking on one side only.....if that is a real issue....that problem does not go away during the day. You can still have time limit for parking.....like 72 hours....to eliminate the "abandoned car" issue. The no "on street parking" is simply another issue that is a hassle to residents. Do you really want the police department spending the night shift writing parking tickets rather than patrolling the city?
Jack

Oxford, MI

#8 Dec 5, 2009
Joe Shmoe wrote:
<quoted text>
Many houses have single width drives, multiple cars, etc. It is a hassle switching cars around WRT who is leaving first in the morning etc. Anybody with teen drivers can tell you the hassles of kids staying overnight etc. The street cleaning is handled by sign notices, snow plowing issues can be handled by declaring a snow emergency like many other cities do. Narrow streets can be handled by parking on one side only.....if that is a real issue....that problem does not go away during the day. You can still have time limit for parking.....like 72 hours....to eliminate the "abandoned car" issue. The no "on street parking" is simply another issue that is a hassle to residents. Do you really want the police department spending the night shift writing parking tickets rather than patrolling the city?
I don't think dunkin donuts would appreciate my method, however they only pay half price, it would give them something to do during the night except catch up on their Z'sssssss!! LOL
Move your Car

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#9 Dec 5, 2009
Joe Shmoe wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many reasons for not parking in the street. I am sorry if it is a hassle for you to play musical cars. I want the police looking at cars in the streets. They may find something besides an illegaly parked car. The bad guys do not use driveways. If they are patroling the neighborhoods that is a good thing.
Single Drive Way

Royal Oak, MI

#10 Dec 5, 2009
Joe Shmoe wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a single width drive way and I totally disagree with you. My driveway is also longer than a normal one because my garage is towards the back of my property. I can get three cars in my driveway not counting the garage. It is my responsibility to make sure the cars are in the proper order to make it easier in the morning to leave for work. If they are not I move a car to the street in the morning to get out. The less cars on the street over night the easier it is for police to do their job and the less likely that a car will get hit in a snow store or other bad weather. If you don't like it then buy a house with a double drive way.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#11 Dec 5, 2009
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know what city you live in, however in SCS they do clean the street through the night, thats what I'm talking about, this also occurrs in July. Take the pain and get a permit, or get a ticket, if issue you one, I realize it depends on who you are, again selective enforcement.
You must live in a different SCS than I do because there is no street cleaning after regular hours.
Jack

Farmington, MI

#12 Dec 5, 2009
WAS WHO KNOW THINKING 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You must live in a different SCS than I do because there is no street cleaning after regular hours.
Then park in the middle of the road, who the F---- cares where you park, you're paying the ticket.
SCS Resident

Roseville, MI

#13 Dec 5, 2009
I'm all for banning overnight on-street parking- SCS is a residential community. Concern I have though is whether the tickets written even remotely pay the salary for the officer or attendant to issues those tickets. I'm a bigger fan of limiting on-street parking at ALL hours to one side of a street- many side streets are impassable to two-way traffic due to vehicles parked parallel on both sides of the street.
Joe Shmoe

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#14 Dec 5, 2009
Single Drive Way wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a single width drive way and I totally disagree with you. My driveway is also longer than a normal one because my garage is towards the back of my property. I can get three cars in my driveway not counting the garage. It is my responsibility to make sure the cars are in the proper order to make it easier in the morning to leave for work. If they are not I move a car to the street in the morning to get out. The less cars on the street over night the easier it is for police to do their job and the less likely that a car will get hit in a snow store or other bad weather. If you don't like it then buy a house with a double drive way.
So how is it easier for the police to do their job? Please cite the studies/ statistics that no on street parking reduces crime.

I won't hold my breath.
Joe Shmoe

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#15 Dec 5, 2009
SCS Resident wrote:
I'm all for banning overnight on-street parking- SCS is a residential community. Concern I have though is whether the tickets written even remotely pay the salary for the officer or attendant to issues those tickets. I'm a bigger fan of limiting on-street parking at ALL hours to one side of a street- many side streets are impassable to two-way traffic due to vehicles parked parallel on both sides of the street.
I have no problem limiting parking to one side of the street when the street is narrow. I see no value in banning parking on a street from 2:30 or 3 am until 5 am
Jack

Sterling Heights, MI

#16 Dec 5, 2009
Joe Shmoe wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem limiting parking to one side of the street when the street is narrow. I see no value in banning parking on a street from 2:30 or 3 am until 5 am
I still don't think that you understand that 2/3 of the crime committed is by cars parked or sitting in the street, they don't usually park in your driveway or ask for an invitation to use your garage, so if by chance you eliminate the problem and can effectively point out strange vehicles in the area, consequently you will eliminate the crime factor.
Move your Car

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#17 Dec 6, 2009
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>I still don't think that you understand that 2/3 of the crime committed is by cars parked or sitting in the street, they don't usually park in your driveway or ask for an invitation to use your garage, so if by chance you eliminate the problem and can effectively point out strange vehicles in the area, consequently you will eliminate the crime factor.
Very true.
Joe Shmoe

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#18 Dec 6, 2009
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>I still don't think that you understand that 2/3 of the crime committed is by cars parked or sitting in the street, they don't usually park in your driveway or ask for an invitation to use your garage, so if by chance you eliminate the problem and can effectively point out strange vehicles in the area, consequently you will eliminate the crime factor.
Prove that on banning onstreet parking from 3-5 am reduces the crime rate.
Joe Shmoe

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#19 Dec 6, 2009
Move your Car wrote:
<quoted text>Very true.
Then you will have no problem proving it
Driveway Joe

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#20 Dec 6, 2009
Joe Shmoe wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you will have no problem proving it
I think the ball is in your court to prove it does not. The law is on the books. It is your job to present a reason for it to be changed. Your minor incoveniances are not reason enough.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grosse Pointe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
9& Harper restaurant 55 min Chain Gang 25
school of choice made south lake look like a gh... (Oct '07) Aug 26 EMPRESS K 465
Uncle Ron's Ice Cream wagons (Jun '09) Aug 23 Kkl 15
Jim Goodfellows Aug 20 Jim Beam me up 33
Churches SHOULD BE PAYING TAXES Aug 11 Gloria 1
50 Top Republicans say that Donald Trump is not... Aug 11 Henry 1
Obama, please help me! I CANNOT AFFORD MY MORT... (Feb '12) Aug 11 Keith 6

Grosse Pointe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grosse Pointe Mortgages