Motorcycle Ramble in Franklin paid fo...
Barney Feife

Franklin, NC

#21 Mar 19, 2012
Lots of money being spent for the "Rumble" wonder why? Oh, one of the promoters, well, two and some business people who support it because their businesses will benefit from it, are on the TDA and in Town/County government.$14,800 to the promoters,$10K to Drake? And the students can't get books! Hope it rains heavy the entire time!
Steak House

Franklin, NC

#22 Aug 24, 2012
According to what I read in a local paper regarding how much the TDA has shelled out for the rally and entertainers and the number of motorcycles that showed up during the motorcycle rally, the cost was over $200 per motorcycle.
Lived there

Young Harris, GA

#23 Aug 28, 2012
Barney Feife wrote:
"Church Biker Things"? What church biker things? Never seen one of those, they must be hidden in churches!
For one:

http://www.cmausa.org/

You apparently don't know squat about bikers. All that pops up in your mind are Hollywood inspired images of "Hell's Angles," James Dean and Brando. The truth is, they're anything but. 99% of the bikers you see out having a good time are good decent, hard-working people (with money to spend), which is more than you can say about drivers.
Lived there

Young Harris, GA

#24 Aug 28, 2012
Barney Feife wrote:
Lots of money being spent for the "Rumble" wonder why? Oh, one of the promoters, well, two and some business people who support it because their businesses will benefit from it, are on the TDA and in Town/County government.$14,800 to the promoters,$10K to Drake? And the students can't get books! Hope it rains heavy the entire time!
A bike rally puts heads in beds, feet under the table and cash registers ring.
Kelli Blohm

Batesburg, SC

#25 Sep 4, 2012
I recently found Franklin,NC thanks to a camping club that my husband and I belong to. It brought me to a great little place called Rose Creek Camp Ground. The week of the Rally that you are talking of I didn't even know that you had a bike rally going on as we had made arrangements to return to what we thought was a great little community for a week long camping trip to enjoy your post card perfect views and the wonderful roads to ride on as a motorcyclist. We also had with us a couple from South Georgia that isn't used to seeing the beauty of the mountains you have around you.
Upon our arrival we went into town to spend money in YOUR community and were thanked for coming to Franklin and also that the store hoped we would visit them for all of our shopping needs. This is when we learned of the Rally and opted to make it part of our plans. We attended both Friday and Saturday there. Not counting our camping expenses, my husband and I dropped over $500.00 into YOUR community. My other friends I am sure spent almost the same. Now we could have opted to go somewhere else and spend out money, but we spent it in Franklin. We may not pay your taxes, but as bikers we sure help YOUR community when we come there and drop OUR cash in your little town. Instead of stereotyping ALL bikers from what you've seen on TV you think that you could find gratitude for your tax officials who are trying to generate revenue for YOUR little town.
We returned the following week to support our favorite little camp ground and another Bike Rally called the Ruby Bash Rally. Upon our arrival this time and once again spending money in YOUR little town we saw the newspaper - I got to say I think it's funny that there seemed to be no bike related instances of trouble shown in the previous week's newspaper, but there were road blocks set up and YOUR local people had over 143 infractions issued. The paper stated that there were only three infractions that were bike related and none of these were DUI's or drug related - seems they can't say that about some of the locals.
So instead of stereotyping the bikers that came to your community you should thank them as we are a bunch of well behaved individuals no different than you other than the fact that we prefer to spend our free time and excess money in cute little towns like yours when we are out riding.
Bikers across America do a lot of good for a lot of people - some of them we never get the pleasure of meeting. Whether it be a toy run for the less fortunate children of your community or perhaps the local Veterans in need of some sort of assistance. Perhaps instead of coming back to Franklin the end of this month for a Hospice Rally we should take our money somewhere else that it may be appreciated more openly and not ran down by immature people here such as a man that can not even use his own name - that right there says he's embarrassed by his own words. But no worries, Barnie, if you are ever in need and I'm out riding my Harley, I'll still stop for ya and see if there is anything we can do to help you out
FranklinLEO

Murphy, NC

#26 Sep 8, 2012
Kelli, I am glad that you had a good time in our town.

Please accept my apologies for the behavior of Barney Feife. He is a bitter and lonely old man and people like him are a minority in our town. They hate anything that is decent and get their jollies tearing other people down.

The sad thing is, Barney (his real name is Daniel Coates) owns and rides a motorcycle.

Next year,'s motorcycle rallies will be bigger and better and we hope to see and your friends in out town.

Since: Sep 12

Cullowhee, NC

#27 Sep 27, 2012
FranklinLEO, are you REALLY an LEO? Because there is some camaraderie that LEO's share, no matter what personal feelings are had. So you are outing the father of a Sgt. on the Franklin PD? Not cool at all. If you truly work for MCSO, this is a perfect example of what is wrong in Macon County. You should go the Thunderpig's blog ... Google it. Oh wait ...
Marty Martin

Franklin, NC

#28 Oct 3, 2012
Thunder Pig the ex-con has a blog?????? Really?

Cullowhee, NC

#29 Oct 3, 2012
Yup. Where did FranklinLEO go?

Cullowhee, NC

#30 Oct 4, 2012
MaconRebel wrote:
Yup. Where did FranklinLEO go?
Oh nevermind, he must be handing out canteen in the jail. ;)
Why are you here

Young Harris, GA

#31 Oct 6, 2012

Sylva, NC

#32 Nov 3, 2012
Why are you here wrote:
Aw, play nice now. I don't come here very often as it is.
andys coch

Murphy, NC

#33 Nov 6, 2012
Barney is an angry little man with a small "wallet" and comes on here to cry and moan that life is not fair. When he reads this he will have a good cry ,
tommy

Lexington, NC

#34 Nov 12, 2012
out law alcohol and bikers! problem solved. and i mean everywhere-not just in franklin!
duel

Lynn, MA

#35 Jan 26, 2013
What's the big deal? Good for the economy
Steve

Franklin, NC

#36 Jan 26, 2013
Duel, It did not pay for itself in Franklin. It cost us a bundle and we did not even come close to recooping what we paid out. Big bust but we tried.
Josh Swafford

Franklin, NC

#37 Feb 5, 2013
Think $40,000 was given to two businesses to promote the rally. The town never made that much!
local person

Franklin, NC

#38 Mar 26, 2013
They are going to give Drake's Theater $50,000 this year to bring in rich gay people from the Atlanta area.
Jerry Stamey

Franklin, NC

#39 Mar 26, 2013
local person wrote:
They are going to give Drake's Theater $50,000 this year to bring in rich gay people from the Atlanta area.
Who is doing that? Is the theater not doing well on its own?
Goosey Goosey

Franklin, NC

#40 Mar 27, 2013
local person wrote:
The biker Rumble thing was a big bust. The Rose Creek one was a lot better and no tax money went to it. The Rumble one was just for Drake, to put $$$ into his theater and fun factory and microtel, Drake relatives on the tourist board took care of it. I hear they'ill do it again this year too with even more Drakettes on the tourist board that hands out the money. Its all a big racket.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grimesland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Free cigarettes at Kinston Christmas Parade (Nov '13) Aug 31 Early 2
Historic Franklin's only monument is a Confeder... Aug 19 Greg 9
ECU parking Aug 17 schoolgrill 1
help! Aug 16 sweetsweet 3
Review: Carrion Tree Svc (Jul '11) Jul '15 FSUFAN 61
Who's going to pay for that Parker Meadows fias... (Feb '14) Jun '15 Franklinite 18
What is it like to live and work in Franklin (May '11) Jun '15 Franklinite 74
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grimesland Mortgages