Franklin is not a welcoming town

Posted in the Grimesland Forum

Gatechmom

Atlanta, GA

#1 Oct 1, 2012
I have been a vacation homeowner in Franklin for over 12 years. I pay taxes and do not have a vote. Therefore, my money goes to support schools and other services that full time residents enjoy. In fact I just read in the paper that the schools have a major budget shortfall. Do the locals not realize without the property taxes paid by those who do not even use the schools that their financial problems would be much worse. We love our home and the beauty of the area but are so tired of being treated like the outsiders. We would sell our home if we could. Unfortunately, too many others have heard all of the negativity that Franklin residents have towards "outsiders." I have never been to a place with such a "us and them" attitude. Why?

Since: Sep 12

Cullowhee, NC

#2 Oct 3, 2012
I know what you mean. I don't know why there is that attitude. I've talked to folks who have moved here from elsewhere and other than the obvious that the mountains are beautiful, we all agree that downtown looks like shit.

I mean, our best restaurant is hooked up to the Hot Spot, a gas station/convenience store. Main Street is just plain ugly. I was walking on Main Street one day when I heard a girl say, "This town has such a Mayberry feeling to it." I LOL. It could and Phil Drake was trying to promote that ... hmmm. And there is no promotion of the good things. There is a great store called 76 or something, but I'd never heard of it til Facebook. Why is that? It had been here a year.

Smoky Mt. Performing Arts ... BRILLIANT. The coziest yet large enough facility to bring in some talent.

I'll shut up now, but I won't shut up forever.
Why are you here

Young Harris, GA

#3 Oct 6, 2012

Since: Sep 12

Cullowhee, NC

#4 Oct 9, 2012
Why are you here wrote:
I can't til the house sells darlin'... working on it though!
Native

Georgetown, KY

#5 Dec 2, 2012
Good
Native

Georgetown, KY

#6 Dec 2, 2012
Oops. Meant to say...Good people in Franklin. But there are people in your old home town that pay the taxes and don't benefit either. It's like that everywhere. You pay taxes where you live. That's just the way it is. Sorry you feel that way about Franklin. I still LOVE the place.
Ramsey Hardy

Franklin, NC

#7 Jan 6, 2013
Franklin is dead. Get over it. The mountains are lovely in the summer, but not in the winter when you can see ticky tacky manufactured housing stuck up on the hillsides all over the place. The power structure is run by religious fruitcakes who try to run everybody else out of the county.
local person

Franklin, NC

#8 Mar 26, 2013
the best thing about summer people is that our teens can learn skills by breaking into the summer homes in the wintertime and having sex parties in them.
Jerry Stamey

Franklin, NC

#9 Mar 26, 2013
For redneck fun, Franklin is the place to come to.
Redneck

Franklin, NC

#10 Mar 29, 2013
You tourist types sure do have a purty mouth
native

Franklin, NC

#11 Mar 29, 2013
It sounds like Redneck is from Clayton, not Franklin.
curious

Franklin, NC

#12 Mar 30, 2013
where were all the hikers at the festival in town today?
New resident

Sylva, NC

#13 Apr 16, 2014
To the locals what are your comments on the two that are running for Sheriff ? Really curious about what the facts are about these two.
Thanks
New resident

Sylva, NC

#14 Apr 16, 2014
Not from Murphy but. Franklin macon county nc

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grimesland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Gay Marriage - Greenville, NC (Aug '10) 9 hr shan 86
What's Goin' on at the Macon County Sheriff's O... (Sep '12) Tue NC Native 30
Pritchard to be paroled (Jun '07) Mon kitchengenie 61
Caterpillar closing in Macon County, moving to ... Mar 2 CURIOUS 13
Is Tommy Vanhook the modular homes salesman in ... Mar 2 CURIOUS 1
Intersection Peddlers Are Here To Stay! Mar 1 Denton 6
new business in town named wired (Sep '13) Feb 26 Jason 8

Flood Warning for Pitt County was issued at March 04 at 9:58PM EST

Grimesland Dating
Find my Match